What New Blu-ray disc have you gotten lately? (Disc 4)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

Yeah, that's bizarre. I know this kind of thing isn't banged out over a weekend, but six years? It took seven years between Batman Begins and The Dark Night Rises :confused:

2. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Pandora's Box has been restored, and had an HD premiere in Europe last year, but no bluray as yet.

The Passion Of Joanne d'Arc has had a bluray release in region B. I have it, and it's a terrific restoration. However Diary Of A Lost Girl has been problematic, since the censor made cuts, and it has been difficult to piece together the parts of the film which was originally cut. Therefore the quality varies throughout, as it comes from different sources, a bit like the last Metropolis restoration. Still, a fine film, but a lesser one than Pandora's Box, which is, of course, a masterpiece.

I wonder if the Grillet box is the same one which was released by BFI recently in region B. Does it include Trans-Europ Express? I've been wavering on it, since I only know Marienbad, but have yet to pull the trigger. Maybe one day.

MadMelMon likes this.
  3. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Suspiria will be released by Synapse Films. Trust me; it's in good hands.

MadMelMon likes this.
  4. Faust3D

Faust3D Sick of it all

European BluRay is utter crap. Overexposed and devoid of all film grain. My Anchor Bay DVD is way better.

5. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

Dances With Wolves
    Fight Club
    $4 ea from Amazon. Man. BR prices are like used CD prices. Now is the time to stock up on physical media.

6. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Strassen in Flammen (Streets of Fire).

7. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Ha ha. Not quite.

The last great Polanski?

[​IMG]

8. AJH

AJH Senior Member

We recently got the complete Agatha Christie's Poirot Blu-ray set, and I think it looks wonderful. Even the the early episodes from the late 1980's shot on 16mm film (which are in full frame) look wonderful. We're not disappointed.

Karnak likes this.
  9. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

Didn't know about Passion. Thanks for the heads up!

And yes, pretty sure the Robbe-Grillet titles are the same as that five disc box.

I've heard that, which is why I haven't ordered it. It's like the DVD release of Ken Russell's The Devils. I have quite literally had VHS recordings in EP mode that looked MUCH better than that turd.

10. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

11. My Darling Clementine. And, boy, does it look sweet.

12. As good as it is, it's been heavily cut in all regions to my knowledge.

13. What company?

14. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

The King and I

15. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Forum Resident

Road To Perdition

ssmith3046 and Myke like this.
  16. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Was this the BFI release? To be fair to them their options were limited; Warners didn't allow them to do an HD restoration for example, nor did they allow them to reinstate a controversial scene which was cut. I'm not making excuses for the release, but Warners have washed their hands of the film, and weren't co-operative during the preparations for the release.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  17. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Waiting on Raro Video's region A blu-ray of Bertolucci's THE CONFORMIST to arrive. From what I can tell, it's an improvement over the Arrow Region B from a couple of years ago.

18. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Nouveaux Pictures.

19. 3:10 To Yuma on Criterion, for $20 at Barnes & Noble. Their half-off sale is ongoing until Dec. 1. I'll be going back for Red River.

20. Faust3D

Faust3D Sick of it all

21. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

Could be (not at home right now to check.) I figured there were some issues like that, but I'm frustrated in general with the way Russell's been treated digitally. Gothic has one pan and scan transfer DVD, there's The Devils, Salome's Last Dance has the same issue as Gothic, and (if I recall correctly) the Lair of the White Worm DVD is less than stellar.

johnnyyen likes this.
  22. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

The Expendables 3

23. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Over $25 = free shipping, hope you're not paying for shipping...twice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.