Some of the 1960s teenybopper stuff is actually really good!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joshua277456, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joshua277456

Joshua277456 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, believe it or not, original mono Lesley Gore albums can be quite expensive. I've seen California Nights go to up $40 for a used, minty copy. I think someone on eBay is currently selling a sealed stereo copy for close to $100! I got a steal getting the original mono still sealed for only $20.

2. Joshua277456

Glad there are people on this forum who recognize her talent. She's a wonderful singer, and she even wrote a few of her songs!

SandAndGlass, goodiesguy and RonBaker like this.
  3. John54

John54 Senior Member

Not true. Most of the "teenybopper" songs listed in the thread arrived after the Beatles.

What is true is that 1960-61 was full of rather immature stuff (I call it the Stupid Cupid era, not that that's a terrible song). But things were picking up nicely by 1962, and 1963 was a wonderful year for pop music. Then the British Invasion came along to improve things even more!

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  4. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

I'll see your "Maybe I Know" and raise you a "Look Of Love"...

Damiano54 and Michael like this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, a good one also...but mine is better!

geo50000 likes this.
  6. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

Anyone remember when they put the Archies' Sugar Sugar on the back of the Super Sugar Crisps cereal box? That was as my very first "record". :D

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass and notesofachord like this.
  7. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

Lesley Gore: Add "You Don't Own Me" to the mix...one of the greatest of her records (although there are plenty)!
    Shangri-Las "Remember Walking in the Sand" teenage angst. Still sounds good to me (just played it today)
    The 60s had some of the very best records...so did the 50s...after that, it was hit and miss.

Tord, Joshua277456 and Mister Charlie like this.
  8. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Another great artist/band from the '6os "teenybopper" scene:

Gary Lewis & The Playboys!!
    [​IMG]

9. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Gary Lewis & The Playboys - "I Won't Make That Mistake Again"...
    A great B-side, coulda been an A-side...

10. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

That is because musicians back then were far less inhibited about trying to be contrived to fit a certain mold.
    It seems that now there is far too much attempt to avoid being viewed as someone who listens to "that" kind of music.

Its My Party brings back a memory for me. I remember a group of kids standing in a circle with one of them holding a transistor radio, waiting for that song to come on. Just standing their talking. When it came on cheers went up.
    Because it was a WAY cool song. And those who were "cool" liked it. Nobody thought of it as "teenybopper". It was just cool music.
    And, last time I seen Leslie Gore on TV ( which was not that long ago) she was STILL a very nice looking lady.

JDeanB, Tord, Joshua277456 and 4 others like this.
  11. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

One of my best friends from high school (I graduated in 1970) and I were talking about music a couple months ago. We didn't differentiate between the Doors and the Ohio Express back then...if the music was good we liked it...it didn't have to be "important" or cool.

JDeanB, John54, jonathan and 3 others like this.
  12. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

WOW!! What a great tune! I'd never heard it until now. That keyboard riff that rises and falls reminds me of this great tune by The Idle Race:

ajsmith and geo50000 like this.
  13. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

I grew up in the 80's listening to all the 50's and 60's stuff, and still enjoy it. Thank you, Mr Dick Biondi. I'm sure a great deal of Chicagoland feels the same. He is often credited as being the first DJ to spin the Beatles on this side of the pond. Being that Vee Jay came out of Gary, Indiana (right over the border) it makes sense. Imagine having the actual record he first spun.

I went looking for his "Pizza Song" and came across what was labeled as the FIRST BEATLES BROADCAST. (maybe this deserves it's own thread...)
    Not sure if 100% first broadcast legit, but still cool to have an actual vintage broadcast from the era. Go to just beforen the 6 min mark.

14. John54

John54 Senior Member

All those Lesley Gore songs are great but That's The Way Boys Are rules!

Mister Charlie and Joshua277456 like this.
  15. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Arranged by Claus Ogerman.

Produced by the great Quincy Jones.

I mean, we're talking top tier...

16. Joshua277456

1950s and 1960s all the way! I love both decades and 90% of my music collection is from these two decades

17. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

This live version of "Maybe I Know" nicely showcases her strong singing. It's interesting to hear her solo voice, without the usual studio multi-track overdubbed vocals.

ajsmith likes this.
  18. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Thanks for the post, I had completely forgot this Lesley Gore tune. It's one of my favorites of hers, although for some reason It's been out of my memory for about 4 years. Thanks for helping me rediscover that classic.

19. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

I'm glad you brought this up...
    While there can be no dispute that Dick Biondi was an early champion of the Beatles in the U.S., something about this aircheck rings false.
    The "Please Please Me" segment sounds , at least to me, "flown in " from a possibly later aircheck.
    From the beginning to the end, it sounds like it was edited in.
    I'm probably wrong, but...???

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
    Steve Litos likes this.
  20. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

The tune of the Gary Lewis song also kind of reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ArGiY-MOwY

21. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Forum Resident

Great thread!

Joshua277456 likes this.
  22. Eli

Eli Party Coordinator

A lot of that early '60s teen music was musically great, because the songs were often written by professional songwriters and the arrangements were penned by classically trained maestros. That might be my favorite era of music—I love the combination of youthful vocalists, rock rhythms, and orchestral arrangements.

MaggieMac and Joshua277456 like this.
  23. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I think that this thread is using "teenybopper" too broadly. I don't think Gary Lewis falls in the category; nor do the Beatles or Lesley Gore or the Shangrilas. I think that "Teenybopper" music as used in the 60's refers to music targeted at young girl (a teenybopper). It's odd to call all early 60's pop/rock (Beatles, Beach Boys, Four Seasons, etc) "teenybopper" music because it wasn't specifically targeted at young girls. Music targeted at "teenyboppers" as a target audience would be, I think, acts like Donny Osmond, Davy Jones, Bobby Sherman, David Cassidy. Not to be confused with "bubble gum" like the Archies, Tommy James and the Banana Splits, or "girl groups" like the Supremes, Shangri-Las, or Leslie Gore. "Teen pop" might be an accurate broader category.

24. Joshua277456

If you want to go strictly by the definition then yes, it is being used somewhat broadly. But I have to disagree with you saying that Lesley Gore wasn't teenybopper. She had two albums named Girls, Girls, Girls and Girl Talk, if that isn't considered teenybopper, then I don't know what is.

According the Wikipedia, "The term was introduced in the 1950s[3] to refer to teenagers who mainly listened to pop music and/or rock and roll and not much else. Teenybopper became widely used again in the late 1960s and early 1970s, following an increase in the marketing of pop music, teen idols and fashions aimed specifically at younger girls, generally 10–17 years old.[4][2]"

[2] Brake 1980, p. 143.
    [3] Zimmer, Ben (2010-05-28). "Cool". The New York Times. Retrieved 2011-05-20.
    [4] Hall & Jefferson 1993, p. 220.

So it can mean either boys or girls, depending on the context. And it originally referred to both pop and rock & roll music. "Tennybopper" carried over from the 1950s to the 1960s, and only in the late 1960s did the meaning significantly change.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  25. Joshua277456

Also, if the Beatles weren't technically teenybopper, they sure did a good job of attracting a hell of a lot young girls when they first arrived in the US.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.