Some of the 1960s teenybopper stuff is actually really good!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joshua277456, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

I'm a 1974 graduate and I felt the same way...the top 40 stations in those days played virtually every genre and all I cared about was whether a given song was good or not by my standards. I dig a lot of
    Lesley Gore too!

2. trumpet sounds

trumpet sounds "The radio makes hideous sounds." Bob Dylan

3. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

Damn, didn't know they were going for that much now. I bought a mono California Nights for about 8 buck (not mint, but plays fine) a few years back. But that's nothing, I was able to snag a near-mint mono copy of I'll Cry if I Want To for 99 cents at a flea market.

Donfrance likes this.
  4. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

Well when you see who produced and co-wrote the song, it no wonder: The late great Bob Crewe!

5. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

1967 is when Mercury started experimenting with mono labeled LP's with stereo disks inside. If the dead-wax has "2/6xxxx" for the catalog number the "mono" LP will actually play in stereo. I have a "mono" Blues Magoos "Psychedelic Lollypop" that plays stereo.

All of you with mono copies check you dead-wax!

The stereo sounds great, unlike other records from the same era.

6. zen

zen Senior Member

60's....70's....80's....even this century. There's good "teenybopper" stuff in them their hills. :tiphat:

7. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

And, of course, the Beatles' first two albums were loaded with covers of American girl groups and Motown artists from the supposedly "terrible" '60-'63 era that they came to save us from.

8. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

70s hit/Top 40 radio was so wonderful in that regard. The diversity of what you would hear from song to song was amazing.

9. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

The CALIFORNIA NIGHTS album is essential in mono, and this song in stereo proves it. Such a kick-a$$ song with a typical crappy 1967-era Bob Crewe stereo mix (Just think of any 4 Seasons song from that era. Yep. The mono kills it every time.)

Lesley had grown up by then but sadly aside from the title cut no one really gave a damn anymore. Her next album (Magic Colors) was even better, and it ended up never even getting an official release. By this time, the words "Lesley Gore" and "Teenybopper" were anything but similar.

ajsmith and ReadySteady like this.
  10. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

Wow, I never knew that. My California Nights is the actual mono (I knew just from listening), but I checked the deadwax anyway. And I agree with the poster above, the mono version is superior.

Joshua277456 likes this.
  11. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Phil Spector had a lot to do with it. And thank god for Phil, the Wall of Sound!

Peter Pyle likes this.
  12. Javed Jafri

Javed Jafri Forum Resident

Who or whats to say you cant enjoy The Archies, Grateful Dead, ELP, Clash and Sam and Dave.

goodiesguy, JDeanB, Michael P and 3 others like this.
  13. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

The 60s and 70s...when even teenybopper music was good. :)

Michael P, jeatleboe and Joshua277456 like this.
  14. saturnsf

saturnsf Forum Resident

A really good collection is called Bubblegum Music is the Naked Truth. Mostly Kasenetz-Katz and associated acts, and I certainly would get a toothache playing it all the way through, but even the kiddies need to stomp their hands and clap their feet.

Michael P likes this.
  15. Joshua277456

Joshua277456 Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's a great price for I'll Cry if I Want To. I got a minty mono copy for $14 on Discogs. Let me ask you sometime, do some tracks on your copy play with distortion and are they sibilant? Mine does, but I fear that it's just a pressing issue instead of groove wear/damage
    The mono is 1000x superior!

16. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

Banana Splits - "I Enjoy Being A Boy (In Love With You)"

geo50000 likes this.
  17. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Lesley Gore's finest hour, and I don't think it was even a single. Beautiful melody and lyrics, beautifully performed.

Damiano54 and Joshua277456 like this.
  18. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Woah - somebody's been listening to Pet Sounds!!

19. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

This song's from late '65! Quincy Jones and Jack Nitzsche were at the helm.

notesofachord likes this.
  20. Joshua277456

Love the vocals on this version. The (mono) album version on My Town, My Guy & Me is double-tracked and sounds kinda artificial a bit weird.

21. Joshua277456

I love how this thread turned (mostly) in a Lesley Gore appreciation thread.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    RonBaker likes this.
  22. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I know it's an old fuddy duddy thing, but man, I enjoy the pure innocence of these records. It's refreshing compared to what female pop vocalists have to sing and do these days to push their product.

geo50000, bumbletort and Joshua277456 like this.
  23. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Heh. Good thing Gary had the double kick drums for this song. Thundering drums.:D
    The song was written by Al Kooper among others and Gary's record was arranged by Leon Russell, with some Wrecking Crew members playing on it.
    One of the Playboys lived near me at one point and he said he used to complain that some of the parts the studio guys came up with were too difficult to learn to play live.
    I have no idea how often they actually played somewhere live though.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Interesting. I wasn't aware of the earlier usage, as I wasn't around in the 50's. My recollection of the word seems to be from the late 60's and early 70's - music marketed to young girls who had zero interest in Creedence, the Doors, Iron Butterfly or the Box Tops.

Joshua277456 likes this.
  25. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

For goodness sake, Lesley Gore is very underrated! Her studio albums were consistently good and she doesn't just sound like her hits. A good friend of mine saw Lesley perform on a cruise a couple years ago and she was very impressed. From what I was told, to accommodate her voice change due to age, Lesley uses slower tempos and has changed the key to many of her songs in order to stay within her range. The Bear Family box set is enjoyable from beginning to end, but it would be nice if Collectables or a comparable label would release the mono versions of those LPs, maybe as several two-fers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.