Bob Dylan - 50th anniversary collection - 1964

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by oh1, Dec 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oh1

oh1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just received this email from Sony regarding the imminent release . no tracklisting was available, so let's speculate.

Once again we have the opportunity to bring in a very limited edition Bob Dylan release as per previous years.

Bob Dylan Public Domain, 50th anniversary recordings (1964) will be a one off pressing limited to 1000 across Europe. The format will be a 9 piece LP Vinyl in a slipcase.
    Release date 8th Dec (this is likely to move back one week)
    Should note it was listed for bricks and mortar stores only. Be wary of those advertising the item beyond the usual suspects of Discogs and Ebay.

2. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

Nine pieces of vinyl?! Wow.

3. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Interesting that it's 9 LPs because he spent only one day in the studio in 1964 and almost all of that session was released as Another Side of Bob Dylan. (As far as anyone knows...) The Halloween concert has been released as a Bootleg Series, and so have his '64 Witmark Demos. So what could possibly fill NINE LPs? Maybe they mean it's a 9-song vinyl LP?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  4. Can't wait (yawn). That's nearly more LP's than he made in the entire 60's put together, and all from 1964. How ridiculous?

Maybe there are nine out-takes of every song on "Another Side"? The 1963 set was seriously scraping the bottom of the barrel but as "fallbreaks" has said, 1964 was not exactly his most prolific recording year

5. oh1

I did request a track list from Sony but that is all the information, little in the way of detail. One day in the studio nine pieces of vinyl? There just has to be be some previously unheard material otherwise it's a fairly pointless release.

6. 30 years ago I had a "Dylan tape library" with over 1000 tapes of live concerts / studio out-takes etc. There was nothing in it from 1964 apart from the Hallows Eve show and Witmark Demos. I'm slightly intrigued by this release to say the least but on the flip-side, definitely not interested enough to purchase it. I've got enough 60's Dylan to last me out. Too much of anything can make a man ill at ease.........

Laibach, stinsojd and Abbey Road like this.
  7. oh1

Well the dealer price excluding VAT is just shy of £50 , which means that it's either a hugely expensive single album, although the way prices are heading...Or it will appear quite reasonable for a boxed edition retailing for around £100. Dylan on vinyl generally ain't cheap.

8. ymenard

ymenard Forum Resident

Perhaps the "studio" stuff from various radio and TV shows will be included ? This is from www.bjorner.com , I guess you could put all this on 9 vinyls :

Witmark Studio,
    New York City, New York
    January 1964

1.Guess I'm Doing Fine
    2.Baby Let Me Follow You Down (Eric von Schmidt)

CBC TV Studios
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    1 February 1964

1.The Times They Are A-Changin'
    2.Talking World War III Blues
    3.The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll
    4.Girl From The North Country
    5.A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
    6.Restless Farewell

NBC Studios
    Los Angeles, California
    25 February 1964
    Steve Allen Show.

1.The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll

Elektra Studios
    New York City, New York
    Early 1964
    Blues Project recording session produced by Paul A. Rotchild & Jac Hilzman.

1.Downtown Blues (Geoff Muldaur)

Eric Von Schmidt's Home
    532 Beach Road
    Siesta Key
    Sarasota, Florida
    May 1964

1.Blues Improvisation (?)
    2.Black Betty (?)
    3.Come All You Fair And Tender Ladies (trad).
    4.Long Johnny Coo-Coo (?)
    5.Long Johnny Coo-Coo (?)
    6.Joshua Gone Barbados (Eric von Schmidt)
    7.Money Honey (Jesse Stone)
    8.More And More (Webb Pierce/Merie Kilgore)
    9.Mr. Tambourine Man
    10.Suzie Q (Hawkins/Lewis/Broadwater)
    11.Glory Glory (trad).
    12.Movies Improvisation (?)
    13.Stoned On The Mountain (?)
    14.Stoned On The Mountain (?)
    15.Stoned On The Mountain (?)
    16.I Want To Hold Your Hand (John Lennon/Paul McCartney)
    17.I Got A Hold On You (?)
    18.Walkin' Down The Line
    19.Joshua Gone Barbados (Eric von Schmidt)

BBC Studios
    London, England
    Early May 1964

1.With God On Our Side

Didsbury Studios
    Manchester, England
    14 May 1964

1.Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
    2.Blowin’ In The Wind
    3.Chimes Of Freedom

Columbia Studios
    New York City, New York
    9 June 1964
    The Another Side Of Bob Dylan session, produced by Tom Wilson.

1.Denise
    2.Denise
    3.Denise
    4.Denise
    5.It Ain't Me, Babe
    6.It Ain't Me, Babe
    7.To Ramona
    8.Spanish Harlem Incident
    9.Spanish Harlem Incident
    10.Spanish Harlem Incident
    11.Spanish Harlem Incident
    12.Spanish Harlem Incident
    13.Ballad In Plain D
    14.Ballad In Plain D
    15.Ballad In Plain D
    16.Ballad In Plain D
    17.Ballad In Plain D
    18.I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)
    19.I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)
    20.I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)
    21.I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)
    22.I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)
    23.Chimes Of Freedom
    24.Chimes Of Freedom
    25.Chimes Of Freedom
    26.Chimes Of Freedom
    27.Chimes Of Freedom
    28.Chimes Of Freedom
    29.Chimes Of Freedom
    30.Motorpsycho Nitemare
    31.Motorpsycho Nitemare
    32.Motorpsycho Nitemare
    33.Motorpsycho Nitemare
    34.Mr. Tambourine Man
    35.Mr. Tambourine Man
    36.All I Really Want To Do
    37.Black Crow Blues
    38.Black Crow Blues
    39.Black Crow Blues
    40.I Shall Be Free No 10
    41.I Shall Be Free No 10
    42.I Shall Be Free No 10
    43.I Shall Be Free No 10
    44.I Shall Be Free No 10
    45.Mama, You Been On My Mind
    46.My Back Pages
    47.My Back Pages

Unidentified Recording Studio
    New York City, New York
    Mid to late June 1964

1.Mr. Tambourine Man
    2.Mama, You Been On My Mind
    3.I'll Keep It With Mine

Paul Saldana and oh1 like this.
  9. Tom Schreck

Now we're talking! Put most of this on vinyl with RAH, Newport, and a few other live bits, and 18 vinyl sides starts to not seem too ridiculous.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  10. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I get why these physical releases are limited, but why not have a download available.
    I don't even have a turntable and will be forced to seek out alternate sources. I'd happily pay for it in a usable format.

supermd and HominyRhodes like this.
  11. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

those TV show performances will definitely be a part of it. they were on the past couple of releases for sure.

12. Not to put too fine a point on it, but someone would have to pay me to listen to five outtakes of "Ballad In Plain D"... :shake:

HominyRhodes and Jack like this.
  13. Tom Schreck

Oof. Excellent point.

14. As we thought, nothing of any interest there.............

15. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Unless the Dylan folks reverse course, the set will contain barely a snippet of the "Another Side" sessions. The "1962" set contained all the unreleased complete takes in the vault (apparently they didn't feel the need to protect false starts and breakdowns). The "1963" set only contained material that had previously circulated. I don't see why they would go back to giving "everything". But without the studio material, I don't see how you get to 9 discs.

16. Would it not have made far more sense to simply release well ahead of the looming 50 year public domain fiasco, an official Bootleg Series album / set for each of the years affected and maybe consecutively ie. from say 2010 onwards release a Bootleg Series album every year for each year of the 1960's: 1962, 1963, 1964...etc. They'd sell far more records, less people would be put out by the wreckless policy of Sony and there would be some pattern and logic for cleaning out the vaults instead of the haphazard release schedule we get otherwise.

supermd and asdf35 like this.
  17. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

That's right, he did play Newport that year. Some of it was on the Other Side of the Mirror DVD, and it might add an hour or so.

But 9 LPs x max 50 min. each = 450 min, or 7 1/2 hours. Could there be more Basement/Tenement/Apartment/Hotel/Bedroom/Living Room tapes?

18. Yes, he played at my house in June '64. I still have the "Dylan Garden Shed Tapes" that no one other than my family has ever heard!

Driver 8 and HominyRhodes like this.
  19. RayS

But the 1963 set didn't have a scrap of fresh material. Why would the '64 set deviate and give us something fresh?

For the '62 set a) they either didn't quite "get" the parameters of the law, b) they were afraid someone (or knew someone) HAD uncirculated copies of the session tapes, or c) they couldn't figure out (or didn't want to be bothered figuring out) which "Freewheelin'" outtakes were already circulating and which were not.

crimpies and IronWaffle like this.
  20. RayS

Just one reason is 99.9% of the population doesn't WANT the poor quality Philadelphia 1964 audience tape. But if Dylan's people don't include it on a limited edition "copyright protection" set, then someone will be selling said show all over the EU as a public domain set, and there won't be a thing they can do about it. Selling records has next to nothing to do with this process.

Dave S, subtr and HominyRhodes like this.
  21. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

i am pretty sure there was at least one or two new tracks that did not previously circulate on the 1963 set.

-justin

22. Tom Schreck

You're right. Either they're digging deep into the vaults and unearthing stuff we've never heard (which doesn't make sense), or the 9-LP thing is a mistake or misunderstanding. The circulating material simply doesn't add up to 6-7+ hours.

23. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

That's right, IMO. It's all about staking a claim to the recordings, for future releases that we aren't yet privy to.

24. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

They don't really want these sets as part of the "canon" -- they just want to extend the copyrights. Frankly, they don't care about fans who can't get them, and they're probably OK with people downloading them illegally. There may only be a handful of these "Copyright Extension" tracks that ever end up on "official" Bob Dylan releases -- and when they do, they'll be covered by copyright. That's all these sets are for.

Dave S, Bob M. and IronWaffle like this.
  25. Tom Schreck

I used to agree with you on the "future releases" aspect, but I've recently changed my mind and figure that it's just as simple as preventing bootlegs from popping up in the record stores. They might not have anything planned for much of this music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.