Grand Funk Railroad

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by laughalot, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Apparently he did. From Mr Farners interviews it seems he trusted a member of the band who has a legal background to advise him.

2. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

The difference is that Revisited still very much has the sound and the groove of CCR and is still very much CCR.
    And the fact they give you a clue that one of the bands members is not there by calling themselves "Revisited".
    People know that it is no longer "Revival" and when they go see them not to expect the same band they seen in 1971.

Hawklord likes this.
  3. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

The wild shirtless lyrics of Mark Farner? The bong rattling bass of Mel Schacher? The competent drum work of Don Brewer? Oh man....

4. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I agree with you 100%.
    I used to love GFR, especially during the Knight-era before they went pop.
    You need the original front man, especially that he wrote and sang the material, without Farner it's a farce.
    They should give up the ship and call themselves.....

[​IMG]

5. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:winkgrin: I probably shouldn't laugh.

Yep, he was too trusting.

6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

575+ posts about a band that critics hated and the masses loved, and this just goes to show it.

should be in the rock hall and never ever will :(

Spaghettiows likes this.
  7. gklainer

gklainer Forum Resident

Amazing number of posts considering there isn't really anything to discuss about the current band without Mark's participation.

8. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

This is largely a music nostalgia site...

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

" People keep-a-talkin' they don't say a word
    Jaw, jaw, jaw, jaw, jaw ! "
    -
    John Fogerty

sewerdog, gklainer and shokhead like this.
  10. Kangaroo_Jack

Kangaroo_Jack New Member

What a nice bus on your photo... something MCI?
    If it is impossible to bring back Farner, why do they still tour? They're getting older, I'm not sure, Don will be playing 10 more years without recording. He will be about 75 by 2024, it's too much for a drummer who actively tours.
    Brewer told that Farner was not a shareholder in an interview recorded in 2011 or 2012 I think, it was a 8-min audio. I'll search for it.
    Still, I guess the fans should draw up a petition to make them reunite and record the last but the hardest ever album.

Hamhead likes this.
  11. Kangaroo_Jack

Kangaroo_Jack New Member

I've never seen or found one. I never heard Mel speak at all, and hope he is not... at least mute :)

Don Brewer is said to study law in 80s. Mark told that in one of his video interview. It is on Youtube.

12. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

It really isn't funny. It is kind of a sad commentary on humankind in general.
    That people will take advantage of each other so flippantly and without conscience is disturbing.

I would rather be like Mr Farner and trust people and sleep at night than to be someone who takes advantage of someone like him. A man is better off in poverty and at peace in his soul than to live like royalty while having a soul that has a constant hotfoot.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  13. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I absolutely love their first album, every song is a winner for me. So much energy!

gklainer likes this.
  14. Myke

I'm as cynical a bastard, as you'd ever not want to meet. Yet, the very first time I heard Mark tell his story, of what happened during the 1997 reunion tour, my first thought was " how sad," not " how stupid."
    Around your Brothers, you of course, relax, and let down your defenses. You're supposed to be able to.
    Problem was, Donnie didn't feel the same way.
    Mark was neither ignorant, nor naïve, he was used.

keyXVII, JamieC, rockledge and 3 others like this.
  15. iicap'n

iicap'n New Member

I bought the red album in what, 1969? I still listen to it. To my ears it sounds like a three piece live in the studio then overdubbed second guitar parts and vocals. I love the sound of it too - essentially flat. Check out the drum sound e.g. Aimless Lady, that lovely snappy snare. And Mark's guitar playing? As someone else posted, you try and do better. Also have Closer To Home. But I admit to drifting more to Humble Pie at about that point.

16. Kangaroo_Jack

Kangaroo_Jack New Member

Well On Time a not bad LP, but it definitely lacks keyboard solos (except Mean Mistreater, love this Hammond with Mel's bass-distortion) and interesting guitar passages. That's why I prefer Born To Die / Shinin On / We're an American Band / Phoenix / Grand Funk Lives to it.

Still Waiting (heh, a song from 1983 album) for a new LP. Well if you say no one wants it without Mark... Well I do... let it be in any line-up... Blackfoot has changed line-ups seriously, Lynyrd Skynyrd had 8 or 9 members died/injured not possible to play/tour and carried on... Uriah Heep lost Byron, but they found efforts to continue and release great albums. Talking About UH, I like all their new albums except 2008.

So, pedal to the metal, we demand new GFR LP!! :tiphat:

And I also hope to hear a statement on GFR website: A new Album. To Be, or Not To Be. I desire the first variant.

Keep it shinin' on!

17. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I was chuckling at the veiled way you worded it, referring to Brewer's con as "legal advice".

Of course, I don't think the end result is funny.

18. Terry

Terry Senior Member

"Mean..." uses a Fender Rhodes, not a Hammond Organ.

19. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I am inclined to agree with this, blunt as it is.
    I have been in a lot of bands, and have always tried to prop other musicians around me up, not tear them down. The thought of using others then casting them off to the side is just foreign to me.
    Mr Farner was not stupid. He is the way a real man should be. He is no more stupid than a man who is the victim of a pickpocket is for not having a zipper on his back pocket.
    Men shouldn't have to live life paranoid that others are out to screw them.

keyXVII, Myke and Zeki like this.
  20. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I understood what you meant. I was just trying to underline how pathetic it all is.

Zeki likes this.
  21. Kangaroo_Jack

Kangaroo_Jack New Member

OK, thank you for telling this. I hope to learn how to play such a piano one day :) Like it's sound very much. Very old-fashioned, I adore old-fashioned stuff. Once a friend of mine brought an electric guitar, I adjusted it exactly to 1970 dirty and greasy sound :pleased: Modern techniques ain't got no soul :( Synthesizers can be a great addition to the band's sound but they also have to sound old-fashioned to fit classic rock

22. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

23. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

24. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Civil disobedience continued throughout the early 70s. The city of Anaheim was proud of their new Convention Center, which was used for large conventions, special shows and exhibits and concerts. Off-duty officers of the Anaheim Police Department were able to supplement their income by providing necessary security at many of these special events. On November 1,1970, a concert was held on the arena of the Anaheim Convention Center featuring the musical group "Grand Funk Railroad." Crowds attending this concert had grown too large and could not be accommodated inside the arena. Officers on hand had to contend with an angry and hostile group of youths intent on seeing their favorite rock group. Upset at not being able to purchase tickets to this sold out event, the crowd began to smash plate glass windows and doors of the Convention Center. Anaheim's officers found themselves overwhelmed by the multitude of youths.
    At 10:25 p.m., "Code Charlie Checkmate" was activated throughout Orange County requesting aid from other police agencies. Anaheim Police Officers barricaded themselves inside the main entrances behind concrete pillars, holding off the angry crowd by spraying canisters of Mace at them until backups arrived.
    Within a short time help arrived in the form of hundreds of police officers from the cities of Brea, Buena Park, Costa Mesa, Cypress, Fountain Valley, Fullerton, Huntington Beach, Los Alamitos, Laguna Beach, La Palma, Newport Beach, Orange, Placentia, Santa Ana, San Clemente, Seal Beach, Stanton, Tustin and Westminster Police Departments along with the California Highway Patrol and Orange County Sheriffs Department and Orange County Animal Control. When the riot was over, 382 law enforcement officers had come to help control the crowd. The assistance was overwhelming to even the most experienced officers. A Sheriffs Sergeant told the newspaper media, "I never saw so many officers in my life!"

My first GFR concert They caused quite the stir.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  25. Myke

Cut and paste is a wonderful thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.