John Lennon (October 9, 1940 – December 8, 1980).

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

I never gonna know him now.. but I gonna love him anyhow...

have been listening to his music for 2 hours straight. Beatles era only. I knew that he was dead as long as I remember myself, for I was born a little bit less than 11 years after his death...

2. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Nice Elliott Smith quote!

Rock Stamberg

john lennonist likes this.
  3. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

One of the saddest days in history.
    Seems like it was just yesterday.:sigh:

Hi Five and john lennonist like this.
  4. sgb

sgb Senior Member

It was a cold rainy morning and I remember seeing the headline on a paper inside one of those newspaper vending machines outside a restaurant in Lake Charles, LA as I was entering to have breakfast.

Aside from my own birthday being just a day before Lennon's murder, it also follows the death of another great music icon who would pass a mere eight years later, Roy Orbison.

If Geoffrey Chaucer was correct in calling April the sweetest month, then, perhaps December is the cruelest.

5. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

One of my earliest memories was when it was announced on Monday Night Football. I was sitting in front of the TV playing with matchbox cars while my dad watched the game. Of course I had no idea who they were talking about.

6. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Was it Howard? For some reason, I remember Frank Gifford announcing it. What an awful night that was.

7. Raf

Raf Senior Member

"She's a drag. A well-known drag."

[​IMG]

nikh33 likes this.
  8. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

It was Howard. He talked with John on MNF a few years before the tragic announcement also.

9. marknoir

marknoir Forum Resident

Sad day... And it was a grey dreary day and evening in Central Park, Strawberry Fields, near the Dakota last night... Just like 31 ys ago.

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

just think of what we missed with John passing at 40! at one time that seemed so old to me...I believe he would have made some great music if he stayed on track...and not have been taken from us.

11. hello people

hello people Forum Resident

Bungalow Bill's awesome

12. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Best RnR voice ever
    Witty and cool
    Killed by a no hoper.

john lennonist likes this.
  13. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Was watching Monday Night Football that night...will never forget it.

14. xilef r

xilef r Active Member

Really well said.

15. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

A totally POINTLESS death. RIP john...thanks for all the great music.

JQ

hotassun likes this.
  16. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

It sends shivers too for me when i walk past the 'real' Strawberry Fields at this time of year with all the Christmas decorations up etc :(

john lennonist and MilesSmiles like this.
  17. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

Absolutely perfect. "Waltz #2" about sums up my feelings about the tragedy of John.

18. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I'm sitting here listening to Plastic Ono Band and thinking jeez I wish he was still around to cause trouble in the press. He loved to create and also to walk hand in hand with controversy. I miss him a lot. See you soon...DAVE

19. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I accept the fact by now that John is dead, but never can get used to the fact that John is dead, if that makes any sense.

Sean Murdock, JL6161 and O Don Piano like this.
  20. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

They must have a great rock'n' roll band up there. Jim, Janis, Elvis, Buddy ...and all the rest.
    It still hurts but his legend lives on

21. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I wondered how I missed this thread. A good buddy of mine used to wear a black armband every Dec. 8th signifying John's death. Still a tragedy.

22. Ocean56

Ocean56 Forum Resident

I could not have said it better myself....:)

23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

We miss John. Two of my new favorite pics. John signing Capitol LP's, the Beatles '66 tuning up. Beatles John signing Capitol LPs..jpg Beatles on tour, tuning up..jpg

Binni likes this.
  24. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Hard to believe it's that time again. Our daughter was due to be born five years ago on December 8th close to midnight. I convinced the doctor to let my wife wait until after midnight to push so our baby girl would be born on the 9th instead of John Lennon's death day. He agreed, went off to the doctor's lounge until 5 past midnight. He came back, she pushed, and our girl was born on December 9th instead of the 8th. Call me crazy but I'm glad I did it.

RIP, John. Beatles BBC..jpg

Drifter, oboogie, Hi Five and 11 others like this.
  25. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

34 years tomorrow. Hard to believe. :(

I was another one who had heard it on Monday Night Football, so it's again a Monday this year. And then the sadness, then later the anger at that piece of garbage that killed him. A senseless death, an extreme tragedy. I couldn't even function for a week, and I usually try to take the day off if I can even to this day. I didn't manage it this time, but it will still be a somber day for me as it usually is.

RIP Mr. Lennon.

Hi Five likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.