John Lennon (October 9, 1940 – December 8, 1980).

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

I miss him. My birthday's on 12/8. 'Nuff said.

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I was pulling into the parking lot for Moby Disc Records in Sherman Oaks. I was listening to either KFI or KHJ--one of the big top 40 outlets-0n the AM radio in the car. They said to stay tuned for some big news about John Lennon. So I waited before going into the store. They returned from commercials to state that John had been shot and was in critical condition.

I walked into Moby Disc, where no one had heard anything, and walked up to the counter and mentioned what I'd just heard. They poo-pooed it as nonsense and went on with their business.

Within the next 30 minutes the news started to spread and the store--which was filled--became like a wake. They dragged out some John boots from one of the bins and started spinning them (along with other stuff).

I think John was the first public figure whose death really affected me...

dunce, Hi Five, CybrKhatru and 6 others like this.
  3. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

One of the shows on ESPN, "Outside the Line" maybe did a really cool episode on the Monday Night Football broadcast. And the decision to cut-in with the Lennon news and then how to do it. Whether you are a fan of football or not, its worth watching.

4. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

It was very sad. After watching Elvis, Michael Jackson and a few others, you could almost come to the conclusion that being famous isn't all that healthy for you.

5. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

As far as we know, John was healthy, he just had the terrible misfortunate of having that sick piece of **** come after him.

Hi Five, JL6161, Peter Pyle and 5 others like this.
  6. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Never to be forgotten!

Peter Pyle and theMess like this.
  7. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I was born on the 9th - the trouble in my case is, Lennon died on the 9th UK time. I heard the news on the radio early in the morning on my birthday while opening my presents on my parent's bed. Lucky to have a stable family homelife - still, quite the downer for this 10 year old Beatles fan (Lennon was my idol) :sigh:

My daughter was born on 29th November 2001 - I found a George Harrison fridge magnet at a lovely shop near the hospital called Yellow Submarine and attached it to her cot.

Happiness and sadness - life.

Hope all well at the Hoffman's :wave:

8. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

I remember everything about that day exactly. I was 19 at the time.

My son is now the same age! My how time flies.

theMess likes this.
  9. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Isn't it 34 years ago?

10. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Sad, and saw the announcement from Monday Night Football so long ago. Forgot that Howard Cosell_ had a visit with John only a few years prior.

RIP John, your humor, music and participation in life are still greatly missed!

john lennonist likes this.
  11. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

yes

12. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

The original date was a Monday, and I bet Monday Night Football does something.

ARK likes this.
  13. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

Jack Douglas spoke of a disturbing conversation that went on during DF and he erased the tape. He still refuses to discuss it.

theMess likes this.
  14. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Very interesting. Can you elaborate on this?

15. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

I was just a kid, six years old, but I was already obsessed with The Beatles, one of my earliest TV memories is sitting through all the films which were shown on BBC here in the UK over Christmas 1979. I don't really remember hearing the news until I got picked up from school on the 9th, I guess the media was a little slower in those days or my memory cheats. I remember being pretty gutted when my Grandmother told me, it was my first experience of grief, however tangential, but the band were already preserved in aspic for me on my fathers albums. I didn't really know their solo careers or that they could have reformed at some point. It was a self contained body of work which I've continued to listen to religiously ever since.

On days like these I take a few minutes to sit in wonder at how well the stars aligned for two such enormous talents to meet as kids at a church fete and go on to change the world. We'll never see the like again.

dunce and CybrKhatru like this.
  16. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Well yes, but it had been 31 years ago when our host posted that.

theMess likes this.
  17. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

According to some recent books: You Never Give Me Your Money: The Beatles after the break up by Peter Doggett and I believe Lennon In America might
    have covered this as well. I'm reading the Fab Four FAQ 2.0. right now so maybe there's something in there. I recommended all books.

In Chapter 8 (errie it was before chapter 9 which covers post Lennon death), page 269, during Lennon's final hours after the radio interview

And the book would go on that maybe Lennon was ill, predicting his death? etc.

theMess likes this.
  18. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Of all places, I heard about John Lennon's death in the school gymnasium, at the start of a PE class. Someone who lived close by had heard the news on the radio before leaving for school and relayed it to the rest of us.

Then, a couple of days later, quite unrelatedly, the sprawling Clash opus Sandinista! was released, with rather a fitting obituary -

Somebody got murdered
    Somebody's dead forever

Somebody got murdered
    And it left me with a touch

19. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

theMess likes this.
  20. Dr Faustus

Dr Faustus A younger man now getting old

I was 13 and watching Monday Night Football. It's funny that that initial pain I felt when I first heard about it is still there and just as intense. Such a sad loss - he is sorely missed.

Peter Pyle and theMess like this.
  21. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

I was only a few days short of 19. Don't remember much about the day, but everything about that very, very sad evening.

22. Matze S.

Matze S. Forum Resident

I've been a fan of the Beatles ever since I was seven years old. That was in 1975. I remember becoming severly addicted to the band when listening to a four hour radio special about them in 1977 some weeks after Elvis had left the huilding.

I admit I preferred Paul in those days. Still do, to be honest. I remember 12/08/80 quite clearly. I was sad too, but not in a devastating way. Maybe I was still to young. I actually have been feeling a lot more sad in the past ten years. Might be part of growing up.

Anyway, I am pretty sure there would not have been the Paul we know and love without John (and vice versa). Let alone The Beatles. I come to realize that John's singing alone is completely unique. What a loss and what a gift we are all able to listeen to it wheenever we want.
    Thanx John!

23. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

:cry: :shake: :cry: :shake: :cry:

You point the way to the truth when you say
    "All you need is love."

You were the one they backed up to
    the wall
    All those years ago
    You were the one who Imagined it all
    All those years ago.

Yet you were the one that they said was
    so weird
    All those years ago.

You said it all though not many had ears
    All those years ago
    You had control of our smiles and our tears
    All those years ago.

Shak Cohen, CybrKhatru and theMess like this.
  24. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

As has become my tradition, today is the day my Christmas songs are loaded back in to iTunes, with John & Yoko kicking off procedings.

CybrKhatru and theMess like this.
  25. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Still sad to this very day. While I can listen to DF as well as his other albums, it's DF that affects me. I cannot help but associate DF with his death and it just sullies that album for me.

Drifter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.