Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #63)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Last week I bought this record. I'm a big Argerich fan, but I haven't had the chance to listen to it yet. Any thoughts a forum member could share with me?

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Who took over Dorian's catalog? Dorian was a bit player that its demise was not even widely known ...

3. coopmv

All of the above.

4. coopmv

IIRC, Neville Marriner studied conducting under Pierre Monteux somewhere in Maine, USA.

5. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Sono Luminus?!?! :confused:

6. heman__

heman__ Forum Resident

Have a really clean promo copy of this record and gave it a spin today:

[​IMG]

As good as it is, I still believe that this version on Harmonia Mundi is better.

This is the first version I've heard of Das Knaben Wunderhorn where I feel it isn't being treated as a 'minor' Mahler work - by the same reasoning I could also understand why somebody might dislike this version. But to me, it's like the Mahler equivalent to the Zimerman performances of the Chopin piano concertos, where every little note and nuance has been considered and refined. The sonics are also excellent although the vocals may be a little forward for some.

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  7. coopmv

Back to early music: now playing the following CD, which arrived a few days ago for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

8. coopmv

Didn't Helene Grimaud also perform at the 92nd Y a few years back and you attended that excellent concert IIRC?

9. coopmv

Now playing the following CD by A4, which arrived a few days ago from across the pond for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

10. coopmv

Telarc was the last of American classical labels that closed its doors ...

11. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Amazing playing and sound. The younger Gergiev led far more energetic performances than the current one!

[​IMG]

Mik, Fafner88 and bluemooze like this.
  12. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

They do keep repackaging these don't they?Are these the same RCA-Decca joint recordings first issued as Living Stereo?

13. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I will get to work on that list.

14. drh

drh Talking Machine

I miss Dorian; it was a lovely little label with good standards.

From Wikipedia:

Sono Luminus was created in 1995 by Cisco Systems founders Sandy Lerner and Len Bosack. They founded Sono Luminus with a “less is more” philosophy focused capturing real performances with microphone placement and quality acoustic spaces rather than using heavy post-production.[1]

In 2005, after producing recordings for several major and independent labels, Sono Luminus purchased Dorian Recordings, a label “most noted for its extensive series of early music recordings.” The acquisition of the Dorian catalog gave them an archive of early music, and Latin American recordings, and folk music.

After the purchase, Sono Luminus released two additional albums under the “Dorian” name.

From 2005 to 2010, after releasing just two albums under the “Dorian” name, the company then followed by 47 releases as “Dorian Sono Luminus.”

In January 2011, the name “Dorian” was dropped beginning in February each new release had the new “Sono Luminus” logo.[2]

As of November 2013 they had released 44 titles as Sono Luminus.

Mik, Dan C and bluemooze like this.
  15. drh

drh Talking Machine

16. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

She did. That was her Bach period and I agree with you, that is not her forte. But several years before that I heard her perform the Ravel Concerto with the NY Phil, and she was wonderful. The music program for this sounds up her alley.

17. john greenwood

Off the top of my head starting with pianists and focusing on the ones most often discussed here - Arrau, Brendel, Argerich, Schiff, Grimaud,
    The complaints I've heard is that it just takes too long for the water to fill the room before the music begins.

18. john greenwood

He and his orchestra are returning to NYC next month for concerts, opera and ballet. I hope to catch them.

19. heman__

heman__ Forum Resident

I believe that the Eloquence series of CDs are Australian reissues, put out by one of our gov. funded TV stations, SBS. I've got a tonne of them as they are widely available here for $10>

20. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I'm jealous!

21. john greenwood

Sorry - for those one wondering, that was the beginning of a response to Stuart's question that was accidently appended to a different post.

I promise to figure this system out before I reach 10,000 posts.

22. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

What did Arrau play when you saw him?

23. john greenwood

Les Adieux, Appassionata, and Waldstein

By the way, I had been trying to recall solo recitals I saw at the Y, so I overlooked an appearance by Shura Cherkassky playing the Emperor with the New York Chamber Symphony. I must admit that at the time I thought it was a mismatch.

He did give recitals there, but I never saw any.

Coincidently - now listening to a recording by the New York Chamber Symphony of Aaron Jay Kernis' Symphony in Waves.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  24. drh

drh Talking Machine

Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons that I needn't belabor here, it's been a long time since I was an active concertgoer. That said, off the top of my head, and in a couple of instances taking "has made records" as a proxy for "major":

Rudolf Serkin, Peter Serkin, Shura Cherkassky, Alfred Brendel (twice), Leon Fleisher, Lillian Kallir (substitute for an ailing Lili Kraus the sole time I had an opportunity to hear the latter :sigh:), Alexander Paley

Virgil Fox

Itzhak Perlman

Peter Schickele

Samuel Ramey (Washington Nat'l Opera's mounting of Boito's Mefistofele); Frederica von Stade, Marilyn Horne (Rossini operas at the Houston Grand Opera); probably other major singers whom I was too young to recognize at the time and have forgotten since the last time I had an opera subscription, the Houston for several seasons back at the turn of the '80s, during my college days.

Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields (post Marriner), Ensemble 13 Baden Baden.

Not quite "classical," but I'd count them as on the same plane as major classical artists in their own sphere: Jean Redpath, Doc Watson. Oh, c**p! I knew he'd gone not too long ago, but I see that she died last August. How did I miss that? :cry:

And, in my indiscreet youth, Ferrante and Teicher--twice! :laugh: (but, hey, they started out and even recorded as a "serious" classical duo piano team, and they put on a good show)

heman__ likes this.
  25. drh

drh Talking Machine

I'll grant, my first reaction, after reading the critic's doughty attempt to make the filling of a huge bathtub sound exciting, was that he needs to go watch the ice freeze up after a Zamboni passes, an experience I've had innumerable times in recent years thanks to my daughter's figure skating practice regimen. It's much faster and gives much the same "this is like watching grass grow but has its own charms" impression.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.