Finally! Iron Maiden BLACK VINYL reissues coming in September... (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Oct 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1973_2fk4

1973_2fk4 Active Member

The price for SSOASS on jpc.de (you can choose english language and the delivery is worldwide) is 19.99 EUR
    https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/iron-maiden-seventh-son-of-a-seventh-son/hnum/5961545

2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Bump - anyone else have these loud pops on the Euro "Powerslave"?

3. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Yes. I went through 4 copies of Powerslave (EU), before I got one that played with no issues. All copies I had also had the 'oil slick' look to them (which was most prominent on side A), although they seemed to play without audible issues. Funnily enough, all my copies I played side A was perfect each time and the issues were always on side B.

4. deadbase

deadbase Forum Resident

Where are you guy living in the US ordering the UK pressings? I have the US Killers and want the UK pressing.
    Thanks!

5. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

amazon.co.uk is one source

6. deadbase

deadbase Forum Resident

Ive never ordered from from there. Is it pretty straight forward?

7. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

if you have an amazon.com account, you login in with the same info. Pretty much the same experience as amazon US, but pricing in pounds obviously. You'll pay shipping (even if you're a prime US customer), and as expected the package will take a week or 2 longer to get to you. If you have gift cards on your US account it will not be available to use on the UK site. You will be billed in USD on your credit card w/exchange conversion. Some credit cards charge a minor fee for these types of transactions so keep an eye out for that.

8. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

I thought some folks mentioned that HMV Canada had the UK editions, no?

9. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

Just played side 2, side 1 playing now, and I didn't hear any pops or any other unwanted noise effects. A clean and strong album!

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  10. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

Cheers, guys. Surprisingly, my Amazon UK order showed up today (10 days after the range of dates they give). I'm going to give it a spin tonight and share my thoughts.

bodicus likes this.
  11. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

I must have gotten lucky. My copy sounds incredible. It's my go-to copy now compared to my US OP.

Amazon UK is great.

12. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

And that is high praise indeed.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  13. drapes

drapes Forum Resident

All I've seen at HMV or any other shops in Montreal for that matter, are the EU versions.

14. agentalbert

Yeah, mine sounded incredible too. Save for those two VERY loud pops during "Rime Of the Ancient Mariner", I thought it sounded fantastic. Best I've heard Powerslave.

15. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

While waiting for the box to arrive I bought (EU) copies of "Powerslave" and "Piece Of Mind", no popps or ticks just... soundwaves. Amazing soundwaves:) Considering getting "SOT" and "SSOASS" too but these were the first two Maiden albums I didn't buy back in the day so I don't know if I REALLY need them now...

16. agentalbert

I've listened to all of the first seven studio albums (other than SIT, which just arrived today) and the ones I thought sounded the best were Powerslave and Piece Of Mind. If you were going to pick two based on sound quality alone, I'd say those are the two to go for.

17. Neonbeam

I sold my originals like twenty years ago so I have ZERO reference points but taken on their own terms I was impressed how good these two sounded. I was expecting something that reminded me of my teenage years but...wow...these sounded fresh, not dated at all. They really surprised me. Like meeting a guy you haven't seen in ages and suddenly you realize that he is even cooler than you had remembered him:) And I'm not a metal head at all.

Excited about the box, can't wait to hear the "wet blanket" sound of "Beast";)

18. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Will you be receiving a Euro pressing? If so, you will not experience the dead as a doornail sound :)

19. Neonbeam

Oh, good. I was a bit perplexed about these comments since Sean Magee mastered these and I wondered why he would have done that. But I didn't read through all....what...90 (??) pages of this topic so I might have missed certain nuances in this - very helpful - discussion;)

20. So, the series is now complete, and all in all, I would say it is a pretty good re-release series. Especially the later albums sound really good in their new incarnations. Those who jumped off the band wagon after only listening to one or two of the earlier Releases jumped too soon, in my opinion. I am also of the opinion that there are better masterings available for the first three albums (early UK pressings).

We also found out that surprisingly, the mastering is different between the US and EU pressings for at least three of the albums (SIT, Killer, TNOTB). Possibly, all albums have a different mastering between US and EU. Which brings up the question, which versions of the 2014 edition are better.

It is already clear that the EU pressing of TNOTB is better. And the US pressing of SIT supposedly does not have the tape/mastering issues which the EU version has. I don't know whích version of Killers is better, but looking at waveforms of needledrops, it is clear that they are much different.

I just compared "Live After Death" to a nice needledrop (Wally mastering) I have. The Wally LP has a bit more low end and is less clear in the midrange compared to the 2014 EU pressing. Based on this comparison, I quite clearly prefer the 2014 version. The Wally LP sounds a bit boomy in comparison (but the comparison is difficult because it could be influenced by the equipment used). I think the new "Live After Death" is a great mastering.

johnny q, Goldy, Dr. Metal MD and 2 others like this.
  21. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

I agree about the Wally. Never liked that one. I’d be interested in how it compares to the original Dutch vinyl. The Dutch sometimes seems a little too bright (the complete opposite of the Wally).

22. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Yes, I don't blame you! A few pages ago, Mij Retrac was kind enough to post sound sample comparisons between the UK and US pressings of TNOTB and the difference in quality was beyond dispute - the US sounds dark and muffled by way of comparison. This prompted me to immediately order a UK pressing from Amazon UK and I like the way it sounds. This also explains why some people posted about the lousy sound, only to have others reply that they did not hear the same thing.

JQ

23. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Any further comments on US vs EU Killers? Preferences?

Mij Retrac likes this.
  24. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

Yeah I must have missed that discussion. I don't recall hearing there was a difference on that one.

johnny q likes this.
  25. metalrules

metalrules Forum Resident

I posted some thoughts after listening to both the US and EU Killers a while back...

"I did find the US to be somewhat louder, with maybe a small bit more high end. The EU was very similar when I turned it up to match. So far I don't think anyone else has posted 2014 US/EU Killers comparisons or commented on my post, but I'd be curious to hear what others think. Yes, both versions sound much better to me when turned up. Pressing-wise, the US copy I received was pretty off center on both sides."

Spirit Crusher likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.