Finally! Iron Maiden BLACK VINYL reissues coming in September... (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Oct 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Someone posted the waveform of the US 2014 Killers, and it looked completely different from the needledrop I made of the 2014 EU pressing (I remember that the US Killers was louder at the beginning of each side and then the volume level dropped significantly towards the middle and end of each album side):

[​IMG]

Spirit Crusher likes this.
  2. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

So overall which is the preferred pressing?

3. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Ah, right, the volume drop. OK, thanks. The consensus then is that tonality EQ and all that is the same?

4. I haven't heard the US Killers yet, but someone said it is a tad brighter, which might not be a bad thing and could be an advantage for this album and the relative dark sounding 2014 mastering. On the other hand, the more consistent volume level is probably an advantage for the EU pressing.

5. metalrules

metalrules Forum Resident

I like the overall sound of my US copy slightly more than the EU, but probably not enough to warrant seeking one from outside your home country, and maybe not enough to take on the greater risk of quality issues in the US.

rjstauber likes this.
  6. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

Just started listening to my Optimal/UK copy of SSOASS. Amazing pressing. Still has a bit of harsh treble, like the OP, but the soundstage is wider than my US OP while preserving all of the OP's dynamics. This is now my go-to pressing for my favorite all-time Maiden album. Heavy vinyl, flat, dead quiet surface noise. Artwork isn't as clear as the OP and it is quite obviously a scan, but oh well. I have the OP for the artwork and this one as the best copy to listen to. Up the irons!

:cheers:

kingofstoneage and Opeth like this.
  7. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Nice, always makes me happy when I get a good pressing. I got 3 duds today I have to return not maiden related. My SSOASS EU is fantastic also. I did get a SIT BTW from bull moose. It is being delivered I had to order some other stuff that wasn't at my local store anyway. Probably go get a SSOASS just for comparison.

8. Dr. Metal MD

Cheers! Let us know what you think of your US SIT! A US SSOASS arrived here today, too, but I'm just going to return it. What's the use of keeping it when I'm just going to back to the UK one time and time again?

9. Mine is an EU pressing but sounds more like the US sample.

10. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

I now only have the US TNOTB and here's what I wrote about it compared to the EU version in post #711.

"I also just played the first side of each of the first three in the US set and they sounded comparable to the EU set I had. The S/T wasn't as bright as the EU version, and Killers and TNOTB didn't sound as muffled as their EU counterparts; I may know what to expect from these two now, so the impact may not have been as dramatic as hearing the first set for the first time."

11. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

whoa, wait...so some have an EU Number of the Beast that sounds like a US, and US Killers and Number of the Beast that are less muffled than EU?

12. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

I have a hard time believing that considering to my knowledge, there has only been one pressing. It would be hard to believe there is that much of a difference in sound quality in the same pressing.

13. I'm sure my TNOTB is EU with Parlophone on the jacket and label and matrices matching Discogs. Can others confirm this? Either way, it's the worst sounding newly reissued record in my collection.

14. Dr. Metal MD

If you look in the upper right corner of the back of the jacket, it will say that it is 'printed in the EU' if it is the Optimal/UK pressing.

violetvinyl likes this.
  15. Correct.

16. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

I just cracked open Powerslave (couldn't wait for xmas!).

Side 1 vinyl looks poor, patchy looking, but sounds fine.

Side 2 looks fine, but the 'quiet' passage in Ancient Mariner is anything but. It must be just about the noisiest vinyl I've ever heard. Obviously the surface noise is mostly masked by the music elsewhere.

It's a joke really. Completely ruins the experience.

I'm in the UK but bought this from an ebay seller in Germany.

17. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I got my US SIT and unfortunately the warping and non fill ruin this copy. Side 1 sounded great and so did side 2 but it is really out of flat and I can hear when it hits the 2 non fill areas that extend from lead in to lead out in skinny bands. and the high spots pop as the warp rises and crests in THREE spots.
    As far as sound is concerned compared to my EU it may have a little more SIZZLE. Very pleasing sound I feel however the EU has a little better separation between instruments but the US seems more satisfying as far as bass and drums, seems to slam a little more. Off to BM today to swap it out.

18. Dr. Metal MD

Please keep us posted on how many exchanges it takes you to get a great US copy.

19. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.