Are There Rare and Expensive Compact-Discs, Entered in the Collectibles Market?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Stefano G., Dec 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

One of these is worth at least $600-800, and you can easily sell it...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
    Stefano G. likes this.
  2. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Ok, how has anyone even heard of this for it to become so desireable? Is there that much of a following for Peter wolf or inner city unit?

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

A couple of these popped up on eBay a few months ago, and for well under $100.

The market for target CDs has really taken a hit over the last 6 months or so. There are still a few that easily command $100+ - the Led Zep one I pictured, Peter Schilling, Robin Gibb among them - but even formerly pricey titles like Cara are now available on the semi-cheap.

I paid $44.50 for my Cara target a few months back - that price would've been unthinkable a year ago!

4. Muddy

Muddy Large Member

mscoll, Galley, hi_watt and 2 others like this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Ten Years After-Ssssh/Cricklewood Green MFSL Gold CD...
    a few hundred new...

Dave and Stefano G. like this.
  6. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

I've got lots of expensive discs that I purchased right here over the years. I love them all... PayPal has made a fortune off me.

Dave, jsayers and Myke like this.
  7. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Really? o_O
    I bought a bunch of them at Dollar Tree ages ago when they got in a horde of WEA titles including a set of Tony Orlando and Dawn reissues, and several Phish titles. I bought them to send to my friends as gag gifts but I never got around to sending them out. Thanks for the heads up :D

jsayers likes this.
  8. I've read about these two discs on this forum before. I believe it was a thread about the earliest CDs or some subject like that. IIRC, both of those are desirable artifacts of the early digital era.

9. Muddy

Muddy Large Member

Thanks! I did a Google search on the Edison disc after seeing the eBay link and came across that thread.

I'm not a hardcore CD collector, but I've held on to that little box out of a sense of history as that was a special time (and boy! I'm glad I did). I'm kind of curious now as to what it would fetch. The jewel cases are a bit filmy, but the discs themselves are pristine.

10. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

You might want to compare the version in the photo to the one you got at Dollar Tree. If you found the version I posted at Dollar Tree, I'll be surprised...

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  12. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I didn't know about the digipak Under The Pink, that is very cool.

I am still hoping to add the other 2 discs to my Tori collection.

crazy.crow likes this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Dave likes this.
  14. crazy.crow

crazy.crow Forum Resident

I'm not really sure. I'd say that the price has slightly gotten down, but it's still one of the most sought after Tori Amos items, so I guess somewhere around 150-200USD would be the right price. People can find mp3s or bootlegs of it but that CD is the real thing. ;)

15. crazy.crow

Actually the price for the Precious things promo cd has gone down, you should check out eBay regularly, it goes for less than it used to. Problem is, there are counterfeits of it now...

The Under the pink promo is totally cool yes. Problem is, it's totally rare, to say the least.
    Apparently this was gonna be the artwork for the album but in the end Tori did not like it. So the already pressed copies were supposed to be destroyed but a few promo CDs found their way out.
    If I remember well, the only time I saw it on eBay, it went for around 1000USD (no I'm not kidding!)

16. The Hud

Bummer. Is there a site that compares the legit copy to the counterfeit?

17. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I probably overpaid on the occasion but it had to be something I couldn`t find and was worth something to me personally,while maybe not so much to the average collector.
    Are the 2002 Stones SACDs worth more now sealed with the certificates?

18. crazy.crow

I really don't know. There is a Tori discography website that has photos of the original one, but you'd probably have to search through some Tori forums or ask someone there, they probably know. I had done a bit of research about it when I suddenly started seeing quite a lot of that promo CD appear on eBay... from Hong Kong. :D I thought that was really weird.

The Hud likes this.
  19. crazy.crow

The Hud likes this.
  20. The Hud

crazy.crow likes this.
  21. crazy.crow

The Hud likes this.
  22. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Anyway I was just trying to get rid a few Stones SACDs so I could buy something else and three different guys got into a bidding war wich surprised me.

23. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Someone should have told these bidders
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STEVIE-NI...381094407504?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item58baff2d50
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLEETWOOD...381094393744?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item58bafef790
    I picked up a minty Bella Donna a few months back (just a little bit of wear where it has been sitting in the tray) for £6.99. I couldn't imaging paying over £10 for it. As for Rumours, I just don't get it. Even The Doors Alive She Cried and Neil Young Harvest first press targets didn't go for anything like those amounts.

24. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Anything by La Monte Young.
    Although The Tamburas of Pandit Pran Nath seems to be available again from his website, at $24.

25. Coolcrazydan

Coolcrazydan New Member

Hey John, I have a RCA PCDI-5486 NEVER played, Never opened, and was wondering the worth, also have a unique, CONFIDENT, way of getting 1st spot on google to sell it (or almost anything else)
    Let me know what You think, and anyone else wanting my service, let's talk :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.