Are There Rare and Expensive Compact-Discs, Entered in the Collectibles Market?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Stefano G., Dec 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yes, I saw that, and I would perhaps have bid if the starting price wasn't $40. And my experience of Elaine Paige has taught me to wait and these variations will turn up (I recently acquired two Made in West || Germany by Polygram Cinema targets, with and without the PDO in the hub). I also picked up a Linda Ronstadt Lush Life with Made in West || Germany by Polygram. no mirror band, 03 # and PDO in the matrix. Never seen it listed anywhere. And according to some, it shouldn't exist (the Made in West || Germany version has 02 # in the matrix). It even suffered a price reduction. Excellent condition. Can't see a mark on it. I'm perplexed by it's existence.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  2. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

$210 for a sealed 2002 Stones 3 Disc London Singles Collection?

Dave S likes this.
  3. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Are there any sonic differences with these target variations, or is it just the markings?

4. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Same matrix number, same mastering (it would be odd if it wasn't). I think it's the same mastering as the silver stock titles.

Now, if it was this funky colour scheme
    [​IMG]
    which sold for $50 (Very Good condition - few light scratches).

Mik and RelayerNJ like this.
  5. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Target collecting is a cool hobby. I don't collect CDs anymore but I like the fact that these are artists more obscure 80s albums that get overlooked. Couple I have do sound very good

6. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

There is a variation of the Fleetwood Mac Rumours target that supposedly has a unique mastering, and I imagine there might be some other titles out there as well. There is a difference between the matrix numbers on the Twisted Sister Stay Hungry target in which the 01 matrix cues up 10 tracks, while the 02 cues up 9 tracks.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
    mdm08033 and RelayerNJ like this.
  7. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

8. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

9. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

That's West German or West Germany.

10. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

There are several freakishly expensive discs that will probably never go for any less than they do now.

11. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

12. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

It was sealed. This Japanese one went for a similar amount.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLLING-STO...?pt=UK_CDsDVDs_CDs_CDs_GL&hash=item566dbfce12http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLLING-STO...?pt=UK_CDsDVDs_CDs_CDs_GL&hash=item566dbfce12

Used SACDs do sell for decent amounts, although not nearly as much as $200.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Rolling...?pt=UK_CDsDVDs_CDs_CDs_GL&hash=item259b9d97b7

I guess people with expensive SACD players don't wish to go out and buy downloads. The SACDs were only available for a short time as I remember. I think they had pretty much disappeared by 2004.

13. Stefano G.

Stefano G. Ab alto, speres alteri quod feceris. Thread Starter

Are these CDs sought because West Germany no longer exists, or because having a fantastic sound quality?

14. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Neither. They are rare. It's like a Butcher cover.

LordThanos1969 and Stefano G. like this.
  15. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I should add, however, that there are unique masterings that people here claim to like, such as those early Fleetwood Mac Rumours targets (the Japanese Sanyo and WG 01 matrix), but I think most people collect for collecting sake. I know I do, although a few of my favorite albums have collectible issues - I got my first target because I wanted the album, not because it was a target.

16. mscoll

mscoll Forum Resident

Ohh well, someone desperate must bid on it! Click!

Why nobody mention classical CDs? Certain discs fetch a high price too.

17. Stefano G.

:yikes:

18. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Here's the most expensive disc on my Amazon wish list currently: E Power Biggs playing The Four Great Toccatas and Fugues by Back (SACD)
    [​IMG]
    Used copy is $179 and a new copy is $500 or more.

Stefano G. likes this.
  19. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

20. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

This ebay seller clearly has issues no. 301470061994.
    I seen this for $14.00 used.
    I can get majority of those cds that made in japan from japan.
    At 60% below or more what he is charging.
    I won't drink his Kool Aid.:crazy::rolleyes:

21. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Mirrorblade. 1, are you referring to my post or this listing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301470061994?ru=http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=301470061994&_rdc=1

I agree. A lot of his discs look overpriced. Here's one example.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Christopher...301470061906?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item4631041552

I think I paid £5 for the pair (plus shipping) and they are in much better condition by the looks of it (Another Page has a couple of dimple marks on the booklet, but the disc is VG+/NM. Christopher Cross is NM all over). Seriously, apart from a few, very rare, hard to find targets, you don't have to spend a great deal of money as they are more common than you might think.

22. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Stefano G. likes this.
  23. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Stefano G. likes this.
  24. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

:) The link to the ebay auction for the Cardigans SACD that I posted was from a German seller.

By the way, I have bought just a small amount of CDs from italian ebay sellers and never paid too much. It's true that first "no barcode", "old SIAE ink print" pressings -mainly for albums by italian artists- are usually not cheap, eg this one:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/SERGIO-CAPUT...RE-/171325247632?pt=IT_CD&hash=item27e3c7d090

I don't know why, but most of those old "made in Switzerland" discs are pricey. I have some swiss CDs by Pino Daniele and Alice and except for the "full aluminum" hub, they are just like their common italian counterparts.

Stefano G. likes this.
  25. Stefano G.

"Italiani Mambo" is an album very common (here in Italy, but maybe not so common abroad...) that in Italy is sold for about 5 EURO: but many Italian sellers put some Italian albums on eBay hoping to find the foreigner collector willing to shell out a lot of money to buy them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.