I am blown away by Denon HEOS...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ServingTheMusic, Jan 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Guys, I am absolutely smitten with the Denon HEOS system.

I have never used Sonos, but I have had to networked "reference" systems fed FLAC files of all resolutions via Ethernet. Good quality streamers and DACs from Simaudio, Bryston, iFI, SOtM, etc.

But I got this complete Denon solution in for review, and let me admit I was skeptical. 3 speakers, a HEOS amp, and link.

First the speakers:
    3 different sizes, you can connect via wifi, or via ethernet.

You download the HEOS app for iOS or Android, then add each speaker to the network.

You can:
    -stream Spotify, Pandora, Rhapsody etc
    -stream via DLNA from any NAS or networked storage device
    -plug in a local USB storage device (and stream THAT to other locations)
    -EQ each speaker
    -stream lower resolution to save bandwidth.
    -play different music to each zone

I have never really been excited by this kind of set up, but now I am hooked. I love listening to music
    while doing mundane things, and now I have a HEOS speaker in the kitchen, and bathrooms. I am a pretty routined guy, so when I get up in the morning I head to the kitchen to make a pot of tea..bam...tunes...
    when I shower and do associated things, bam, tunes...I acquire music at such an incredible rate, this may be
    the only way to catch up!

The other components of the HEOS system, which I have not yet hooked up, are the HEOS amp, which allows you to do all of the above but also attach your own speakers, and the HEOS link, which lets you stream tunes from your stereo to any other HEOS system in the house.

rbichamp likes this.
  2. james

james Summon The Queen

thread needs pics

bluemooze likes this.
  3. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

How does it compare to similar systems from Bluesound and Def Tech?

4. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

5. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Do you have to send the stuff back you review, or do you get to keep it as long as you post reviews here?

Vidiot and Robert C like this.
  6. tricka

tricka Member

Thanks so much! Does the Heos only work with Denon gear? or can you use it with eg a NAS?

7. tricka

tricka Member

I'm sure SMT can take care of himself.

But.

I think it is fair to assume some form of financial benefit accrues from a professional or semi professional's activities online. It would be naive, I suggest, not to recognise that. That does not mean that their views are not honestly held.

Perhaps a kinder way of approaching the topic is to recognise the nature of the "review", admire it for what it is, enjoy the read and recognise that a reviewer's opinion is just that - one person's opinion with their associated experience, gears and ears, music library and listening preferences. It may be that these will resonate with you, or they will not. Account must be taken for that.

Another approach is to enjoy the telling of a good story, celebrate that someone is trying to get ahead by writing about a hobby he (not sure there are any female reviewers) loves and move along, without feeling the need to insinuate dishonesty borne of financial self interest, as I apprehend you to be doing (and I deeply apologise if that was not the underlying tenet of your post). Personally I usually treat reviews as an introduction for my own enquiries, and leave it at that.

Perhaps I have you wrong, and you are irritated by SMT using this forum to post his reviews, and so derive some form of financial benefit (however meagre it no doubt is). If that is the case then I again apologise, but suggest that perhaps it is best a subject raised with and attended to by the moderating team, or perhaps the owner of the forum, rather than to invite public comment here - doing so, in my experience (and it is only that), usually attracts low types full of rancour and ill will. And I am sure that is not your intent nor are you one of those fellows who seeks to bestow misery or ill will toward others.

Peace to you my brother, and best wishes for the New Year.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    rbichamp, adriatikfan and jeffsab like this.
  8. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Thanks, I was just looking for some clarity. Maybe reviews like this could have an icon that identifies them as adverts? Just a suggestion, and I don't hold any ill will to anyone... I do find the ethics a little blurry on this issue though. Anyway I think I understand the situation and the forum mods and owners already provide a solution to handle it that works for me. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

9. kman

kman Forum Resident

I just read some reviews of the speakers on Amazon and there seems to a lot of connection issues with the IOS app
    I have been interested in these types of systems but it may be one of those things that you sit back and let the other folks be the beta testers and then buy the 2nd generation when it comes out

10. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Is it a Pioneer, Is it a Sony, Is it a Denon, is it a HK.. Why and why do they all look so extremely boring and alike! Come on. Be creative.

vpvi26 likes this.
  11. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Or even the BT Infinity Router....!

[​IMG]

...albeit it a bit upside-down...!

Ignominious and LivingForever like this.
  12. ServingTheMusic

I like it a bit better than Bluesound..but I did not use the Bluesound in my house....heard it at outside demos.

13. ServingTheMusic

yup!

and...the amp...

[​IMG]

14. ServingTheMusic

unless I decide to buy it, everything goes back to the manufacturer. Especially D&M holdings.

15. ServingTheMusic

you can use it with ANY source. I have my own library streaming from my G-tech drive attached to my mac mini, running minimserver.

16. ServingTheMusic

Hi tricka:

I think it was a fair question. I have to return everything I review, unless I decide to buy it, on an industry accommodation, which is generally 40/50% off of retail. Sometimes there is none.

I have nothing to hide and I don't mind full disclosure. I don't think the poster was meant any malice. But I appreciate your post!

rbichamp and tricka like this.
  17. ServingTheMusic

FYI. There is no advert here. I am not prompted by any manufacturer to post. I post about products I am generally excited about that I think can provide solutions to folks with specific needs. There is so much flotsam and jetsam
    that comes my way that when something really works as advertised and is a great value, I get excited.

rbichamp, oneway23 and Vinyl Addict like this.
  18. ServingTheMusic

FYI..after a week, I have had zero connection issues in three zones. Will report back if they occur.

19. ServingTheMusic

black cube, black triangle, black square..take your pick!

20. tricka

tricka Member

@pscreed & @ STM

What a generous response by each of you - thank you so much for such mature and sensible posts, and accepting my (completely unnecessary as it turns out) meddling as you have.

I will download the Heos by Denon app (yup that is what it is called) and have a play this afternoon.

Thanks again, and my warmest wishes to you both.

rbichamp likes this.
  21. ServingTheMusic

And thank you for your generous response...

Btw...I like the HEOS system even MORE than when I first posted...it is one of the smartest products I have come across. Even my wife loves it..she has been streaming her tunes from Spotify...this is a product the whole family can enjoy.

And full disclosure...the speakers are certainly not "audiophile" but for casual listening they are highly enjoyable.

Down the road I will try the amp with Bryston and splendor speakers.

22. tricka

tricka Member

Whoops - downloaded but says I need to plug into the back of Heos device to set up. So I guess it requires a Heos device he he.

23. ServingTheMusic

Yes, I was confused as to why you downloaded it!!!

You need to connect with the devices to your iPad/iPhone/android device via a mini Jack cable and run through the set up process..about 2 minutes.

24. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Well I have two Denon Heos 7 units in boxes in the other room ready to try them in the morning. My challenges to overcome are several.

• Can the Heos support AIFF files or do I have to convert my files to ALAC to run on this system.
    • Can I pair the two speakers as a left and right channel set
    • Can I operate the Heos 7 as a DNLA renderer so I can use JRiver as the library manager and -layback software through the Heos?

25. ServingTheMusic

To the best of my knowledge and recollection..

Yes for #1 , no for #2, and yes #3.

But report back what you actually find in practice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.