Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #64)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have the following box still in shrinkwrap and another box with only 6 CD's I bought back in the 90's ...

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  2. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I've worked on the clarinet part in the trio. The first movement is good; the slow movement is lovely; the third movement doesn't do much for me. I read somewhere that Beethoven felt he should have written another movement.

He seems to be in his woodwind phase about then In addition to the trio (Op. 11), you have the quintet for piano and winds (Op. 16) a sonata for piano and horn (Op. 17 I think) and the septet (Op. 20). After that, not so much.

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Beethoven Concerto for Piano, Violin, and Cello in C, Op.56 (aka the "Triple Concerto")

4. drh

drh Talking Machine

They do, but my impression is that they tend to be voiced somewhat more brightly. Steinway's "monopoly," I think, has always been strongest in the United States; in Europe, Steinway, courtesy of the company's Hamburg branch, is a frequent choice, but so are names like Bechstein, Bosendorfer, and (in France) Pleyel, among others. The "golden age" pianists were particularly partial to Bechstein, I believe. Of course, during that period in the United States Mason & Hamlin had its following, and Baldwin was always a contender as well, although neither achieved the omnipresence of Steinway and both eventually fell by the wayside. Various successor companies have tried to bring back Mason & Hamlin in recent years with, I gather, somewhat indifferent success (commercially; supposedly the new M&H instruments have been of high quality). Probably didn't help Mason & Hamlin that it was part of the Aeolian empire, for years sort of the "sick man of the piano industry."

bluemooze likes this.
  5. coopmv

BTW, Steinway is now owned by a New York hedge fund manager who claimed to be a major piano lover ...

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Beethoven - Piano Sonatas Nos. 8, 10, 12 and 13" from the "Aldo Ciccolini - Enregistrements EMI 1950-1991" box set.

[​IMG]

john greenwood and Mik like this.
  8. coopmv

Anyone plans on getting this box? Martha was hot ... :love:

[​IMG]

9. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

S
    She led the ensemble from the concertmaster's chair...what a finely tuned machine that group was that night.

10. coopmv

I did not know if Iona Brown was still with the ASMIF by the late 80's ...

11. drh

drh Talking Machine

Gee, did anybody welcome you to the thread? I guess your post got lost in a fast-paced bit of discussion. So: Welcome! :wave:

Can't say that I'm the world's greatest Delius fan, but I think of his works I've heard I like the piano concerto best. Since you're listening to other Delius concerti, you might want to check that one out. Oh, and if you have any interest in historical recordings, look up some of the Delius ones led by Sir Thomas Beecham. Back when nobody else was paying much attention to this composer, he went to strenuous lengths to put him on the map and more or less set the standard for all who followed.

12. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

Thanks and yes, I do know the Delius PC but somehow these string concertos really speak to me right now.

13. drh

drh Talking Machine

I heard them once in concert, and I fully agree: regardless of whether it was the most "exciting" or "dynamic" group I've ever heard, their sense of ensemble was absolutely uncanny. Meet them on their own terms, and they were a real marvel and made terrific, healthy music.

ToddBD likes this.
  14. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

True. Except I would have expected the manufacturer to do that.

15. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

T+A.

16. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

I believe they've made several compilations from the New Year's Concert and other recordings. (I have few weird Reader's Digest LP's probably from sixties, haven't listened to them in this millennium though...)

17. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Same here, though I have only couple of his cello concerto recordings (du Pre & Lloyd Webber).

How's Elgar?

18. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

I have this set! I wanted to get something by her after seeing the film. I emailed Clayele Dalferes at WQXR since I was familiar with her from her days at WNCN and then WQXR here in the NY/NJ area. She suggested this to me. I still haven't heard the whole thing but the discs that I have heard are wonderful!

bluemooze likes this.
  19. john greenwood

You might want to check out some of Christopher Nupen's videos. This is the one I have.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schubert-Trout-Greatest-Christopher-A13CND/dp/B006W3HGIS

I bought it for "The Trout." It's from 1969 IIRC and features a performance of Schubert's Trout Quintet by Du Pre, Barenboim, Perlman, Zuckerman and Zubin Mehta (on bass).

Hawkman likes this.
  20. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I have that on laserdisc! :)

21. coopmv

Is T+A a German or a Dutch company?

22. coopmv

My Willi Boskovski's VPO New Year Concert LP set was probably purchased in the late 70's or early 80's and I doubt I have listened to the set more than once ...

23. john greenwood

It's often one of my recommendations to people who want to get into classical music. The piece, itself, is a great introduction, and you can feel the joy and enthusiasm shared by the performers. It is not the greatest performance in the world (not sure how much actual rehearsing went on), and the sound is what you would expect from a 1960s TV documentary, but sometimes that doesn't matter so much.

bluemooze likes this.
  24. coopmv

Didn't WQXR merge with WNYC a few years ago? The combined entity is now an NPR station IIRC ...

25. coopmv

Do you still have a working Pioneer or Toshiba laserdisc player? :winkgrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.