2013 Stone Temple Pilots "Core" vinyl reissue on MOV

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dconsmack, Sep 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member Thread Starter

I just got this reissue. It's fantastic! I emailed Music On Vinyl and they said they used a 24bit, 192kHz digital copy of the master tape for this as well as the recent "Purple" reissue. They are both new masterings and in my opinion are better executed than the original CD. I always thought the original Core CD sounded like it had the "smiley face" eq applied to it. The MOV release is much more natural and has the mid range drive the CD was lacking. Dynamics are not compressed, and "Sex Type Thing" almost sounds like a new mix because the original CD compressed the drums heavily. The drums are drastically louder on the new LP. 12 songs are spread out over 3 sides, and side 4 is an etched rendition of the cover art. Crystal clear vinyl. The cover art is fine, but was never a high quality picture to begin with. No gatefold. Poly-lined paper inner sleeves. Vinyl is flat and completely silent. It's expensive, but it really is an improvement over the CD. I hope MOV reissue/remaster the rest of their catalog.

ShawnX, johnnypaddock and Preston like this.
  2. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i was going to buy this but when they said it was 2lps i passed.... i have great brazil press that sounds nice and is all on 1lp...much more conveniant and enjoyable to me.

3. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

4. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

I bought this reissue upon release. Core was a favorite back in the early 90´s and I was curious to see how it stood after almost 20 years. I´m pretty surprised how well has aged.

5. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

The MOV Core reissue is great. I'd be interested in the RSD version possibly if it was cut from analog but the MOV is pretty close being a 192/24 transfer. It's likely the Rhino is similar mastering but still interesting but I don't think I need 2 copies.

Time for Tiny music and No. 4 now!

6. beachboydw

beachboydw Well-Known Member

I just cant get with the digital to analog transfer idea. Might as well own the CD.

7. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

It's very difficult (some would say impossible) to get over 53 minutes of music on two sides of an LP and have it sound good. The grooves can't have enough excursion to get the bass and dynamics right. Typically, 20-22 minutes/side is the maximum length for which you can get great sound, depending on the dynamics of the music recorded, et cetera. This is a great sounding set! Maybe wait for the (probably) cheaper Rhino??? Cheers!

8. dconsmack

The new vinyl is a remaster and sounds different from the CD version.

9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

But if its a new digital remaster, it should be released digitally. Why do a digital remaster only to then release it on vinyl?

10. dconsmack

A digital re-release may be in the future. Vinyl cut from a hi-rez digital master with a quality D/A converter can sound fantastic. These STP reissues are proof. The mastering is more important than it being digital or analogue. I have lots of all analogue LPs that don't sound that great and I have digitally sourced LPs that sound great.

johnnypaddock and Preston like this.
  11. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

How does it compare to the DVDA disc?

12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I hope it's better than that.

13. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Has anyone compared the MOV 2 LP version to the Rhino Record Store Day single LP version?

Does anyone know the source and mastering credits for the Rhino Record Store Day version?

14. Leonard Gomez

Leonard Gomez Well-Known Member

Also interested in a comparison between the Rhino and the MOV

15. T&Y

T&Y Well-Known Member

MOV : Clear audiophile sound
    RSD : Poor sound
    I prefer Rhino single record. It is natural and enjoyable.

16. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

This post does not make sense. The RSD version is the Rhino version.

tyler928 likes this.
  17. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Music On Vinyl announced the release of No. 4 and posted a pic of the artwork.. Die cut sleeve and first 2000 pressings are on white vinyl.

theron d likes this.
  18. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

holy moley

ok guys...the only way to get the white vinyl is on Ebay....if your here in the states.

it will release Jan 26th ... so hurry

19. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Usually soundstagedirect has MOV titles up for pre order.

20. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i checked...there isnt any yet.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  21. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

what about the 1st German press, (WWME Alsdorf), anyone have it to compare or review it?

and so it seems the MOV is better than the RSD... (and yes make sense the record go to 2 records but curious about the 1st German).

so at the end we have 3 choices:

1. German 1st press
    2. MOV 2 vinyl
    3. RSD

by way, I always buy the black versions of MOV, just a personal taste... classic black for me.

22. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Picked up the MOV black vinyl reissue. Considering its hi rez digital mastering it sounds pretty good.

No digital smoothing in this, more on the cost open side. I like how they have split it into 3 sides as its too large ng for a single lp

Has anyone here the MOV pressings of N4 and Shangra?

23. matt94gt

matt94gt New Member

Anyone know if the RSD yellow was pressed from analog? Is there a website that lists if LPs were pressed from analog or digital sources etc?

24. PJJK

PJJK Forum Resident

Did you ever get an answer on this album?

25. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

The price of the yellow RSD pressing is sky high. I went with the MOV pressing. Songs are spread over 3 sides and the 4th side is an etched version of the cover. Pretty cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.