Analogue Productions Ted Nugent S/T SACD (shipping now from Acoustic Sounds)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

First, thanks for the heads up. Been waiting for this one.
    I may wait, since my original vinyl is still very clean since 1975, and that $10.78 for shipping is a bit off-putting.
    May wait for more items, and / or a sale.

3. Raider4life

Raider4life Forum Resident

That is an outstanding album. Old Ted may be a bit of a spool, but that album flat rocks. Please give us your impressions of it when it arrives.

bataclan2002 and Sneaky Pete like this.
  4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Hells yeah!!!!!! Been waiting for this for a long time. If its anywhere as good as the review of the vinyl purport that to be, I'll be thrilled.

5. Myke

That's right, I had forgotten those rave reviews. In fact, that was what led to me checking my old vinyl !

HAmmer likes this.
  6. KeithH

Will do. I'm not sure how valuable my review will be since I have never heard the album beyond the radio. Is it a good recording/mix?

7. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

It is his best solo album, best songwriting and the sound was good. The remaster was loud, a bit of an oddity since Vic Anesini did it, I assume his hands were tied.

S/T, Free For All were his best Epic label albums IMO.

I used a coupon elsewhere saving some cash so I will wait until they get it in.

8. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

Stranglehold!

Galley likes this.
  9. Raider4life

Raider4life Forum Resident

I have a original that I just love and the sonics sound really good to me. If you have only heard it on radio you will be in for a very pleasant surprise. Just wait until you hear Stranglehold over your system...just amazing. I've always been a fan of Analogue Productions and I don't normally get reissues that I already have which are in good shape, but I will probably end up making a exception here.

10. KeithH

Thank you. This should be a fun listen. :)

11. KeithH

I listened to the SACD this morning. It sounds great. As stated above, I don't have another version for comparison, but this disc plays with ease, so to speak. Everything sounds smooth. There is no need to turn the volume down. I really like the album, and this SACD is a definite winner.

For folks wondering, the back insert indicates that the SACD was mastered by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound.

What CDs do folks have for comparison to the SACD? The only one I found on amazon.com is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Ted-Nugent/dp/B0000259FJ/

It has bonus tracks and is listed as an import. Is this the version stated above as being mastered by Vic Anesini and being loud? Was it ever issued in the U.S.? Is there an earlier version on CD (without bonus tracks)?

Simon A and BIG ED like this.
  12. KeithH

BIG ED likes this.
  13. Myke

The mastering information is right there on AS's product page :

" Mastered by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound using legendary mastering engineer George Marino's notes from his original mastering sessions with the original analog tapes!
    Remastered by Smith in George's mixing room "

Simon A likes this.
  14. agentalbert

That's the Vic Anesini disc. That particular one is probably an Argentna pressed re-issue, but it was released domestically in 1999. You can find it if you select the option on the page to view all prior editions. It's also still available in the domenstic form as a Sony Special Markets Re-issue, but they are all the same 1999 remaster with the bonus tracks. it's a good sounding disc, but I expect this new one to trump it.

15. agentalbert

Just a heads up, if you don't want to pay the shipping from Acoustic sounds and don't want to wait for discount retailers to get it in stock, drop forum member Karl (krlpuretone) a line. He has an audio store and stocks the APO releases and is great to deal with. Mine's on the way.

Jarleboy likes this.
  16. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Thanks.

17. Myke

I've decided to pass.

18. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

There was an original Epic version that will probably be praised by some here but I thought it was poor compared to my old vinyl.

http://www.discogs.com/Ted-Nugent-Ted-Nugent/release/1398910

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  19. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

OP only [off topic]:
    "Based on your post, are you BIG OO now?"
    That would be "BIG bOOb"! :D

Glad you like the new release; sure you had nothing else too listen too lying around!! :p

Enjoy.

20. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

Ordered, can't wait! Ted's a Tool but but this is a killer hard rock classic. Thanks for the head's up Keith!

21. KeithH

Thanks. I may get the Anesini CD for the bonus tracks, but I am really enjoying the SACD.

22. KeithH

Thanks, Barry. I may grab it impulsively if I see it in the bins, but I won't go out of my way to track it down.

23. KeithH

:D I am enjoying the disc, but I am curious to see some reviews from folks that have other versions.

No problem!

BIG ED likes this.
  24. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Got to get this SACD. The album is an old favourite of mine from the days of Rawk... Want to hear Stranglehold at full blast.

25. bellbrass

bellbrass Forum Resident

I'm interested to hear a review of this mastering...anybody hear it on SACD as well?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.