Good deals on Hi-Rez websites (HDTracks, Pono, Qobuz, etc.)

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Turnaround, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

I wanted to start a good deals threads for hi-rez download websites. This thread is for sharing good deals, good finds (like albums not available on CD), coupon codes and sales on hi-rez download websites like those listed below.

To keep this deal focused on good deals, I ask people to refrain from using this thread to discuss:
    - Computer/audio equipment, DACs, Pono player
    - Complaints about the websites, or problems with your account
    - Going in with others to buy and share downloads (not legal)
    - "Has it shipped?" (that's a joke)

Because someone will inevitably ask -- No, you do not need a Pono player to play files downloaded from the Pono website. If your computer or stereo can play FLAC, you can play their FLAC downloads without owning a Pono player.

HDTracks
    http://www.hdtracks.com/

Pono Music
    https://ponomusic.force.com/

ProStudioMasters
    http://www.prostudiomasters.com/

Acoustic Sounds - SuperHiRez store
    http://store.acousticsounds.com/superhirez

Qobuz (Europe only for now)
    http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  2. Turnaround

First deal for the thread:

Pono Music currently has the Rolling Stones' Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! (40th Anniversary Deluxe) in 192/24 for $21.29. It is 74.98 on HDTracks.

This is the 27 track set from 2009, with 5 extra Stones songs and 12 songs from B.B. King and Ike & Tina Turner's opener sets.

Compared to the 172/24 download (10 tracks, taken from the 2002 SACD), the 40th Anniversary edition has bigger bass. Some here say it was EQ'ed to boost the bass. The 40th Anniversary edition also has a lower dynamic range (i.e., more compressed mastering): the DR database shows DR9 for the 40th Anniversary edition, versus DR12 for the 2002 SACD.

dee, Shawn and Naughty Chord like this.
  3. Turnaround

Pono Music has the Smashing Pumpkins' Gish, Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie in 96/24, as album only, or as album plus the bonus disc(s) in the reissues.

For some reason, the prices are high ($35.29 just to download the album only for Gish or Siamese Dream). However, the deluxe versions allow you to buy individual tracks for $2.49 each. If you want the album only and buy the 10 or 13 tracks from the deluxe version making up the album, your total is cheaper than buying the album download.

When the Smashing Pumpkins reissues started, the band also sold hi-rez versions of them online. They stopped selling the hi-rez versions at some point. HDTracks currently has Mellon Collie (album only), but not the other albums. Check the Smashing Pumpkins reissue thread for discussions on sound quality. The bonus tracks vary in sound quality, ranging from demos to live versions to alternate mixes.

4. Turnaround

Pono Music has a number of Stevie Wonder's early albums in 44/16. Some of these titles were never released on CD before.

Even die-hard Stevie fans may find the early albums to be for completists only. I'd highlight the concert disc, "Live At Talk of the Town," as my pick of the early material that did not come out on CD before.

Pono Music also has Prince's "Kiss" as a digital 45 single in 44/16, notable for completists because this includes the b-side track ""♥ or $" ("Love or Money"). "Love or Money" is one of the two Prince b-sides from 1978 - 1989 left off the the b-sides disc of Hits/B-Sides (the other being "Alexa De Paris," and I'm not counting b-sides that were remixes or extended versions). I do not believe this track was ever released on CD. "Love or Money" features sped up vocal effects, so the track could be played at 44rpm or at 33rpm.

jupiter8 likes this.
  5. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Great idea for a thread. Check out Lynyrd Skynyrd Collectybles in Pono. Not high res but about $70 cheaper than the lowest Amazon resale price.

6. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

HDTracks currently has 20% off "Essential Music Icons" on Sony. Good titles there, including the new Springsteen and Simon & Garfunkel releases from late last year. No code needed. I think it expires tomorrow.

7. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

If you subscribe to ProStudioMasters email list they send you a code every week (so far) that gives you 15% off-current code is INTERLUDE

8. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

A lot of Stevie Wonders are $7.79 lossless-at Pono and I am seeing a lot of the James Brown titles that came out at iTunes at that price as well...ouch my wallet!

9. Turnaround

20% off all albums at HDTracks with code HDBLIZZARD20

One time use, good through Jan 31, 11:59pm Pacific time.

RubenH likes this.
  10. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

FYI - Looks like this can be combined with the 20% already taken off the "Essential Music Icons" Sony albums.

11. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

thanks! picked up Sell Out Stereo and Astral Weeks

12. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Pro Studio Masters current 15% code is PERFECT

13. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Acoustic sounds is 15% off all 24-bit PCM downloads promo code = 24BIT

Quake1028 and lpfreak1170 like this.
  14. Sale expires 2/10/15 at 11:59 PM CST (in case someone sees this a few days from now)
    (BTW that's American style February 10th, not Euro style October 2nd :) )

Quake1028 and Davidmk5 like this.
  15. Pro Studio Masters:
    Enter code at checkout for 15% off → TRUE
    * Discount applies to all albums site-wide. Expires Monday, February 9, 2015 at 11:59 PM

16. Pro Studio Masters:
    Enter code at checkout for 15% off → GRAMMYS
    * Discount applies to all albums site-wide. Expires Thursday, February 11, 2015 at 11:59 PM

Quake1028 likes this.
  17. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

HDTracks is also doing a Grammys special, but they're offering 20%. Not sure if it is exactly the same titles. HDGRAMMY20

18. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

The 20% coupon only applies to Grammy-winning albums. The Pro Studio Masters 15% coupon is store-wide. I just scored the new Rush s/t download.

mmars982 likes this.
  19. Latest Pro Studio Masters
    Enter code at checkout for 15% off → LOVE
    * Discount applies to all albums site-wide. Expires Monday, February 16, 2015 at 11:59 PM

Are they essentially all albums always 15% off, now?

PBo likes this.
  20. http://www.prostudiomasters.com

Enter code at checkout for 15% off → SHADES
    * Discount applies to regularly priced albums site-wide. Expires Wednesday, February 18, 2015 at 11:59 PM

21. http://www.prostudiomasters.com

Enter code at checkout for 15% off → AUTHENTIC
    * Discount applies to regularly priced albums site-wide. Expires Monday, February 23, 2015 at 11:59 PM

This one lasts for 5 days! :)

22. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

23. Turnaround

20% off HDTracks

Spend $50 get 20% off your total order

HDVIP50

* Apply code when subtotal in shopping cart is $50.00 or more to receive 20% discount on entire order. One use of code per customer, does not apply to previous orders. Offer expires 2/22/2015 11:59 PM PST. Code only valid on digital music downloads from HDtracks.com.

lpfreak1170 likes this.
  24. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Note that HDTracks also has a no-code-needed sale on many of the same titles that ProStudioMasters has on sale. You can still apply the 20% code to them if your order totals $50+. I just got 4 for an average of $12 each. I'm liking this new competition going on.