“Mastered by Nimbus” CDs question.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by flashgordon, May 25, 2007.

1. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Have a uk depeche mode - violator mastered by Nimbus........the BEST sound.

2. havefun6699

havefun6699 Senior Member

Very interesting information from the very first hands, thank you.
    Could you give any comments about this two slightly various matrixes of the same edition? Why fonts are different? Which pressing is earlier?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. alainsane

alainsane Hyperactive!

I have a Crass CD with a "MASTERED BY MAYKING" stamp, and while I'm fairly certain it's not a first pressing of this disc (and that the first pressing was a French MPO pressing), it'd be difficult to convince me that this disc was manufactured in 1997 or later (as per the quoted discogs information about Mayking). The CD tray has no UPC. There are no IFPI marks. The CD case is built very sturdily and has one of those more spread-out spindle designs. ??
    [​IMG]

c-eling likes this.
  4. Capt Fongsby

Capt Fongsby Music is the best. ... And cats.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that this happened in 1987. (I'm sure somebody on the forum knows for certain...)

5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I have a Mayking 1992, Also a Treble Charger NC17 Canadian 1994 with no barcode but with a IFPI code, maybe it was given out/sold at concerts :shrug:

alainsane likes this.
  6. alainsane

alainsane Hyperactive!

Yah...it *is* a Crass Records release, so I think a little latitude should be given for a lack of adherence to standards. ;) I am inclined to believe this was a 1990-92 release.

*edit*
    I found this blurb in a February, 1985 Billboard magazine:
    [​IMG]
    and another one from New Scientist March 21st:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
    c-eling likes this.
  7. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

more "mistery" about the dots, this time I found one CD with 3 dots and other CD with 4:
    :.
    http://cdn.discogs.com/8etl3rP3x1rV.../discogs-images/R-2214603-1329242939.jpeg.jpg

::
    http://cdn.discogs.com/h8Y2i12682O-...ogs-images/R-2214603-1378658772-4766.jpeg.jpg

less dots = early?

also!!! I think first prints of Nimbus cds DONT! dont have the "IFPI" in the matrix, just later reprints, like this: http://cdn.discogs.com/V9lnEtAHdZv9...ogs-images/R-6385650-1417957450-2963.jpeg.jpg

Front 242 Addict, alainsane and Mik like this.
  8. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

I know that King Crimson cd's mastered by Nimbus with more dots use a secret "Definitive Edition" mastering without any indication of it being one. Strange, considering that Definitive Editions were released with a clear message on the back indicating that it is one and with remastering info on the back.

There are some that have more dots yet contain a uniqe mastering/re-level all together (my copy of Starless And Bible Black has three dots and is rather loud, compared to earlier pressings which sound very quiet, believed to be a mastering mistake). So it's a separate sounding disc released in between the original and the Definitive Edition.

Nimbus is always a good thing to see on the inner ring of a disc though. They always sound good.

9. mscoll

mscoll Forum Resident

Someone on this forum stated that dots has nothing to do with the mastering. I'd say the dots may represent the mastering. For example, one dont, in my opinion stand for first use of the given mastering, two dots means that the given mastering was used second time. If more dots ( i.e 5 or 6) the first given mastering was used 6th time over the years. This is just my observation.

Dave S and Front 242 Addict like this.
  10. slayerhatesusall

slayerhatesusall Well-Known Member

The first one looks off, it is likely that it is a counterfeit. The second one definitely looks legitimate.

havefun6699 likes this.
  11. BCBirdman

BCBirdman New Member

I worked for Nimbus Technology and Engineering Research Center under Dr. Halliday, at Wyastone Leys in Monmouth. I joined them in the late 1990's and worked 18 months, until the Asian Financial Crisis which caused a number of layoffs. As I was emigrating to BC, Canada it didn't matter much to me as I had already handed in my notice. Apart from the original Nimbus CD plant in nearby Monmouth, there was also one in Charlottesville, VA.

Nimbus was a fantastic company to work for, and it was my job to test CD's and DVD's produced from Mastering machines as the final QA before I would give the go-ahead to ship to customers around the world (mainly Asia and USA). I worked closely with Kodak (Recordable-CD), also Time-Warner Brothers (DVDs), Recordable DVDs and tested the very first disc mastered with a blue laser. This was produced on a Mastering Machine designed by the late Dr. Halliday, it would later became known as the BluRay.

For your interest, Nimbus Technology and Engineering also designed the holograms you see on Microsoft CD/DVDs (MS Windows and MS Office etc).

Nimbus Technology and Engineering Ltd. (Great Britain) was taken over by a Swiss Company Unaxis. There was a change of name from Unaxis to OC Oerlikon Corporation AG, Pfäffikon.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  12. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

Does anyone know if there is any other "mastered by nimbus" title by Wishbone Ash, other than Pilgrimage?

13. earshot

earshot Compact Disc Digital Audio

Interesting. from my collection, list and Nimbus page I found six different texts in the matrix:

1) NIMBUS ENGLAND (small text, NIMBUS upper half, ENGLAND lower half of the matrix)
    1984 Various - This Is My Song definitely old (1984 promo)
    1984 Kim Wilde - Teases & Dares definitely old
    1984 Nik Kershaw - Human Racing
    1984 Various - Nimbus Natural Sound Volume Two
    1984 Wally Badarou - Echoes
    1985 Madonna - Like A Virgin but could be earlier (1984)
    1985 Pierre Belmonde - Themes For Dreams (The Magic Sound Of Panpipes)
    1985 Jethro Tull - Original Masters
    1985 Various - True Love
    1985 Manfred Maurenbrecher - Viel Zu Schön definitely old (smooth jewel case)
    1986 Joy Division - Closer but could be earlier (1984, images added by another user)
    1986 Colosseum - Epitaph
    1986 Elvis Costello - The Man - The Best Of Elvis Costello
    1986 New Order - Power, Corruption & Lies

2) MASTERED BY NIMBUS (small text, MASTERED upper half, BY NIMBUS lower half of the matrix)
    1985 Tangerine Dream - Tangram
    1985 The Cult - Love
    1985 Mad Professor - A Caribbean Taste Of Technology
    1985 Gary Moore - Corridors Of Power
    1985 Gary Moore - Victims Of The Future
    1986 Earth, Wind & Fire - The Collection
    1986 Various - QCD
    1987 Wrath (6) - Nothing To Fear
    1987 Marillion - Warm Wet Circles (Remix)
    1987 The Cult - Electric
    1987 Throbbing Gristle - CD1

3) ⠅MASTERED BY NIMBUS ⠅ (small text, ·MASTERED· upper half, ·BY NIMBUS· lower half of the matrix) looks very much like variant 2 (the dots are not easy to read).
    1984 Cliff And The Shadows* - 20 Original Greats could be later.
    1988 BBC Radiophonic Workshop - The Doctor Who 25th Anniversary Album
    1988 My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything
    1988 Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry, Be Happy
    1988 Bauhaus - Press The Eject And Give Me The Tape
    1988 Womack & Womack - Teardrops
    1988 Boy George - High Hat
    1989 Depeche Mode - A Broken Frame
    1990 Anthony Phillips - Private Parts And Pieces IV: A Catch At The Tables
    1990 Chris And Cosey* - Exotika & Take Five
    1990 Various - Slammin'
    1991 Godflesh - Streetcleaner

4) ⠅MASTERED ⠅ ·BY NIMBUS · (small text, ⠅MASTERED⠅ upper half, ·BY NIMBUS· lower half of the matrix) looks very much like variant 3 (the dots are not easy to read).
    1989 Boy George - High Hat
    1990 Chris And Cosey* - Exotika & Take Five
    1991 Godflesh - Streetcleaner

5) ⠅MASTERED ⠅⠅BY NIMBUS ⠅(small text, ⠅MASTERED⠅ upper half, ⠅BY NIMBUS⠅ lower half of the matrix)
    1991 Rory Block - Mama's Blues

6) . MASTERED . BY NIMBUS (small text, .MASTERED. upper half, BY NIMBUS lower half of the matrix)
    1994 or later (Ifpi) David Fanshawe - Spirit Of African Sanctus

So it looks like variant:
    1) 1984-1986
    2) 1985-1987
    3) 1987 or later

Mbe, kevin5brown, c-eling and 2 others like this.
  14. Nick K

Nick K New Member

I have had a major issue authenticating one of my CDs that says it is mastered by Nimbus. I bought a copy of the (very hard to find) Power Metal album by Pantera; but, my copy has Mastered by Nimbus printed on a single line, rather than two. Is it a fake?

15. c-eling

Out of all my US Nimbus discs 1988-1998 all are double lined with Virginia (V) on the hub
    Interesting a Target design being used in 88 *Image sourced from Discogs
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  16. mscoll

mscoll Forum Resident

Would you please post a picture of you disc so we can determine the release?

c-eling likes this.
  17. Nick K

Nick K New Member

Unfortunately I am a new member to this forum and I am not sure how to/if I have the privilege to post a picture yet. Will do as soon as I find a way!

18. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

If anyone's interested my experience of Nimbus is thus; in the earl '80s Practical Hifi released some LE records. They were done by Nimbus and were about £1 more than the standard issue. They have a stamp on the front of the sleeve with "Practical Hifi Supercut". I unfortunately only bought two as on my system at the time I couldn't tell much difference. On my current system they sound brilliant. The ones I got were Little Feat's Dixie Chicken and Solti's Mahler 1.

19. Nick K

Nick K New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] This is a back and front image of my copy of Power Metal. You'll see Mastered By Nimbus printed on the back on a single line. The front image is for reference

20. Nick K

Nick K New Member

The pictures failed to embed so here are links to the images (hopefully they work): https://imgflip.com/i/x6nrz , https://imgflip.com/i/x6nyx

c-eling likes this.
  21. c-eling

You may have a rare variant, pretty cool if so, never seen a single line before, odd though there would be two variants coming in 88 out of the same Virginia plant
    Did you use an accurate rip enabled ripper, did you have any matches?
    @LordThanos1969 may have some info

Nick K likes this.
  22. Nick K

Nick K New Member

I have not used anything like an accurate rip, and frankly I am not sure how much time I'd need to learn using a program like that. I'm hoping it is a rare variant, but it could be fake :\

23. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

The Power Metal CD has unfortunately been pirated over the years. The only official CD release I know of has Mastered by Nimbus on two lines (along with the dreaded Nimbus stickiness). I do not think Nick's Cd is an official release.

Nick K and c-eling like this.
  24. c-eling

Thanks as always Allon :cheers:

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  25. mscoll

mscoll Forum Resident

Sorry to tell you, but this one looks for me like a fake.

Nick K likes this.