Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

2. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I have to say that I am really enjoying the On Tour Rehearsals FTD CD. I loved the stripped down versions without the orchestration and only minimal backup. In fact, only "Pork Salad Annie" and its lackluster vocal sounds like I would expect a rehearsal should. Everything else is pretty much full tilt.

"Big Hunk Of Love" is the best version of that song I've ever heard. Elvis' voice, Glen's piano, James' fiery guitar and just the right amount of backup vocals ("that's right") mesh perfectly. It's pure rock 'n' roll in just over two minutes. Thrilling. It's also interesting to hear how deep Elvis' voice is compared to the original version. I guess it either got deeper or he was recorded differently, but I like this one with his full-of-gusto '70s voice.

Is that is a mistake I hear on "Johnny B Goode" as the second verse begins ("His Mama told him...")? James Burton plays the first 3 or 4 notes of the solo before quickly tailing off. Doesn't do anything to diminish the song though.

JonnyKidd, Clanceman, nick25 and 5 others like this.
  3. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Must have been all that Pork Salad.

4. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

When i 1st saw ON TOUR,and that start to the Documentary with Chuck"s JOHNNY BE GOODE = WOW.

Now i had a few years before bought that lp IN PERSON,and on there was and still is for me,the best version that EP had done.So why did this version seem to fit?.It was on my 2nd viewing when i took in the start of ON TOUR were EP said about his Dad saying to him about been a guitar player etc,as i never knew a guitar player worth a dam ... then the song kicks in = CLASS!. ... that is why i have never bought the re-issue on DVD etc,just ain"t the same.

Play it James ... (Camera guy go"s on to John Wilkinson at the break)

5. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Indeed that is a great version and seems much faster. That album has great energy! One interesting thing is that in all of the live 1969 shows that FTD has released, I don't think any of them have "Johnny Be Goode" (In Person is a mixture of shows). Hopefully there are some more complete shows in the vault that will come out one day and have it. Can we assume the entire Aug 24th midnight show was recorded professionally?

I know that the blu-ray of On Tour has "Don't Be Cruel" substituted in for "Johnny Be Goode" but the iTunes HD version reportedly has the original intact. Since I don't have AppleTV, can anyone report on how the high-def version on Amazon Instant is, and specifically what song it opens with?

6. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

American Sound Studio FTD credits both Jeanson and Anesisni. Who mastered tracks 1-9 on disc 1?

minkahed likes this.
  7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The 8/24/69 midnight show was released on BMG's Live In Las Vegas box set (circa 2001), albeit in an a very substandard mix that has Larry Muhoberac's keyboard work buried. There are still a few more unreleased concerts from the 1969 RCA multitracks.

minkahed and John Grimes like this.
  8. PacificOceanBlue

An audiophile can probably so some sort of scientific side-by-side comparison to the 2007 Anesini remasters used for the Complete Masters Box Set. If the tracks match the box set, then your answer is Anesini. If there is not a match, Jeansson likely remastered them.

9. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Ah, that's good info, thanks! So the tracks from that same show have different mixes between In Person and Live In Las Vegas (disc 1)? That's pretty odd, especially if the results aren't as good as the original mix of In Person.

10. PacificOceanBlue

Sorry, let me correct myself. The 8/24/69 dinner show, which includes Johnny B. Goode, is what was released on Live In Las Vegas. The complete 8/24/69 midnight show is still unreleased, although large portions have been released on various titles. Sorry for the confusion!

JLGB and JAuz like this.
  11. Outlaw Country

Outlaw Country Member

I can't vouch for the AppleTV version, but the HD version on Amazon Instant Video does have "Johnny B. Goode" intact and also on VUDU, the downside to the version on VUDO though is it is cropped, the version on Amazon is in it its original aspect ratio.

12. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Thanks for that!

Given that the Blu-ray contain zero extra features and is currently about the same price as buying the
    Amazon HD Instant version, I may just go for that one. Although I'd prefer to have a physical disc, I don't foresee the Blu-ray being reissued with "Johnny Be Goode" reinstated anytime soon.

13. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

What??? It comes in a digibook with several washed-out pictures. :)

GroovinGarrett, Shawn and JAuz like this.
  14. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

It shouldn't be that difficult to tell for an audiophile. The mono mixes of the same material on the Memphis Legacy have an obvious big treble boost. If the American Sound Studio tracks also have a similar big treble boost that would help those who don't want to pay extra for the treble boost on the American Sound Studio FTD.

15. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

Having the new opening from ON TOUR is horrible and it does not fit the time scale,so some bright spark put it on a loop.Yuk.

Here are a list of the 1969 shows that have been issued,and what cd they are on,as well as the one"s yet to be issued.

http://keithflynn.com/essential_lists/concerts-1969.html

(Johnny B Goode HRA18608 Live In Las Vegas CD1°° (Multi-Track)

JonnyKidd likes this.
  16. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Right this minute I'm hearing the rehearsal disc that came with 3000 South Paradise Road for the first time. What it lacks in fidelity it makes up for in performance. I prefer it to disc 1.

I agree with the above about the On Tour Rehearsal FTD. That cooks like a you-know-what. :righton:

17. PacificOceanBlue

Agreed. The rehearsal tapes that Ernst secured a couple of years ago have been very intriguing, rewarding listening experiences. From Hawaii To Las Vegas is another gem; with the rehearsal of Separate Ways worth the price of admission.

18. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Got my "Spring Tours 77" FTD today. What a great SQ... thanks for the recommendation.

19. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Very true. It would be nice if On Tour got the Thats The Way It Is deluxe box set treatment. I can imagine there's a lot of footage to fill up a couple of Blurays, and a couple discs of audio.

Frankly, I haven't been happy with Sony's treatment of Elvis on video. They should hand it over to FTD if they're not gonna get serious. And for crying out loud, why on Earth would you supplant original vintage artwork for characterless, discount graphic design.

Why use this...
    [​IMG]

When you've got stuff like this...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
    Iceman08, CrazyCatz, Tord and 7 others like this.
  20. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Sony have nothing to do with the Blu-ray discs. Those are handled by the movie studios, and the licensing fees are probably so high that FTD can't afford it.

21. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

And so, presumably, neither can we!

22. PacificOceanBlue

Yeah, Ernst has made it clear over the years that FTD does not have the budget to work on DVD releases. Perhaps that will change, but it seems unlikely. I know some fans are hoping that the Elvis In Concert materials can somehow coincide with some sort of FTD collaboration, but again, that is highly unlikely for a multitude of reasons.

True. FTD prices are already at a premium. Can you imagine the price of DVD/Blu-ray releases via FTD? No thanks.

MRamble and GroovinGarrett like this.
  23. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

FYI...After my email to Shopelvis regarding the price of the Rock Around the Bloch/This is Elvis pre-order bundle being higher than the individual items, they dropped the price of the bundle to 112.48. They also refunded me some of the money I paid. They didn't do the math properly but I won't complain again over $5.

JonnyKidd and joeislive like this.
  24. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Way to go!!:righton:

Hey, maybe this is a sign that they listen to the voice of the customer. Let's test that - I am going to email them now and ask why Elvis Is Back has been missing from the FTD site for ages :)

JonnyKidd and Clanceman like this.
  25. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Good question. There were plenty of copies in stock at Graceland this past Sunday, along with almost every other title.

JonnyKidd likes this.