How's the SQ on the 2011 Sundazed mono CD for If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joshua277456, Jan 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Here are some samples. All are FLAC, 16/44.1.

Dancing Bear [mono LP]
    Dancing Bear [Sundazed CD]

Dancing In The Street [mono LP]
    Dancing In The Street [Sundazed CD]

In addition to my notes above, you can hear that there's actually about a half second missing from Dancing Bear before the guitar comes in. I'm assuming this can be attributed to how the stereo mix is edited, but I don't have a copy of that handy to compare right now. Either way, the Sundazed is missing a bit.

My dub is hardly perfect, but it's amazing how much better it sounds on Dancing In The Street.

This is really baffling.

raphph and GroovinGarrett like this.
  2. No... but, most of the time you can surmise if there's hard limiting through the peak values on either the DR list or EAC logs. In the log I linked above, you can see that none of the peaks are the same and have quite some variance. Now, there'll be rare cases where some CDs might have massive clipping but the gain's reduced to compensate, and the peak values wouldn't show this, such as the Sundazed Supersneakers or the Rhino Yardbirds' Greatest Hits Vol. 1.

But rest assured, I've played this through Audition many times and I never saw any limiting whatsoever, so just get the 1st album from Sundazed with ease of mind already, will ya? :) (2nd album... jury's still out, let's just say...)

Well that settles it, doesn't it? I'm quite amazed at how cleaner the high-end on your DITS clip is compared to the Sundazed, and I can't believe that they managed to miss 0.5 seconds of the intro on Dancing Bear!

One thing I'd like to note is that I noticed something odd on the final cymbal hit/fadeout of "No Salt on Her Tail", like some sort of upward phasing noise (probably caused by a stereo fold problem?), but this isn't on the mono mix. I don't have the stereo with me on hand to verify in full, however...

lukpac and Joshua277456 like this.
  3. Joshua277456

Joshua277456 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Okay. Thanks for that info.

4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Thanks for those samples. This is quite unlike my experiences with Sundazed. The first album on CD in mono sounds fine,and from memory the stereo Deliver was fine too.

GroovinGarrett and lukpac like this.
  5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I just compared the stereo mix. Sure enough, the stereo mix is slightly shorter in that spot, just like the Sundazed.

Frustrating on several levels.

crispi and IDwithnoE like this.
  6. I wonder what caused the stereo mix to be shorter at that point. Different editing down from the multis? Kinda baffled Sundazed didn't catch that...

Luke, do you know if the stereo ending of "No Salt On Her Tail" has some weird phasing on it when folded down? Now that I've heard it on the Sundazed, I can't unhear it, and for the time this was released, I don't think at that point they'd use phasing deliberately...

7. stereoptic

Did you use the stereo mix from the original LP? Weird how this song on the Sundazed mono issue matches the original stereo.

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I compared to the SHM CD with the stereo mix. I don't have an LP, but I would presume it's the same.

Weird that they bothered with this at all if they didn't have a mono tape. But it's not weird that the intro matches the stereo, if they spliced a fold-down of the stereo intro onto a dub of a mono LP.

And yes, the slight oddness at the end of "No Salt On Her Tail" does seem to be an artifact of the stereo mix.

IDwithnoE likes this.
  9. stereoptic

Based upon that I'm inclined to think that (some of this album) might be a fold-down, but IIRC (and I an easily be wrong as I haven't listened to it recently) but aren't most of the vocals centered? My theory is most likely flawed as I don't notice the vocal boost which can distinguish a fold-down from a true mono mix.

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As above, large chunks of the album (all of side 1 and at least parts of side 2) are a needledrop. Fold-downs of the stereo intros and fades were edited on so surface noise was less obvious. But noise and distortion is still quite present at times. The edit from fold down from tape to needledrop is especially apparent in the Dancing In The Street clip I posted.

11. stereoptic

Thanks. I have a needledrop of the album. I'll have to dig it out of storage and do a comparison.

12. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

I withdraw my earlier statement.

lukpac likes this.
  13. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Well that's worrying, but let's face it - we don't have any other options here, it's the only mono version available digitally.

14. I just bought this disk last week! Had I known it was a futzed needle drop I would have passed.

lukpac likes this.
  15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Sometimes needledrops are the only option available, and they can be quite well done. Unfortunately, in my opinion, this wasn't one that was well done, between the poor quality of the dub and the edited on intros and fades.

lightbulb and GroovinGarrett like this.
  16. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I wouldn't mind if it was just a needledrop, but you say it could be a fold-down? That's the part I have a problem with.

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Some of the intros and fades are (at least) anyway, yes.

And like I said, it isn't a very good needledrop either.

18. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

This is really interesting if not a little shocking. I will have to give these a deeper listen soon. I look forward to hearing more about this.

19. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

agreed

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

My Girl is as well.

Has it ever been stated where those alternate mixes came from? They definitely seem to be more modern sounding, with centered rhythm tracks and a bit more clarity. Curious that Creeque Alley is the original mix.

21. stereoptic

Looks like they were in Papa John's stash (bold text mine)....

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yeah, I seem to recall that, but it would still be nice to know more details. It's not clear how or why John would have had them, or what they were originally made for.

stereoptic likes this.
  23. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I listened a bit on the office system and yes there is something or other going on. I am not good enough to know what it is exactly, but especially when comparing it to the If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears Sundazed CD you cannot help but notice something is up. If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears sounding much more like your LP samples.

24. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Well, Even If I Could cannot be a fold, as BG vocals are missing in the mono mix.

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Mono needledrop with edited on intro and fade:

GroovinGarrett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.