Waiting on my new Audible Illusions M3B preamp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Sam, Jul 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GAR

GAR Member

Sam,

I have Krell amps as well and am looking to match up a tube amp with them. Could you elaborate on why you think the AI - Krell combination is so special?

2. mjcmt

mjcmt Forum Resident

The Modulus 3B is my dream preamp because of the excellent phono stage. I've dreamed of it pair with a Rega P3-24 a number of years back.

3. Sam

Sam Senior Member Thread Starter

I love mine! If you can swing it, I say "go for it." I got a real good trade in on my old M3 from Art.

4. Andy Slusar

Andy Slusar New Member

Just a heads up to anyone considering purchasing an AI Preamp: Audible Illusions continues to experience long delays in delivering their products. I ordered an M3B in late December 2015, the final payment was solicited (and paid) in late January - when I was told that the preamp was "on the bench" by Jerry at AI. The only thing on the bench, as far as I can tell, was my cash. I feel like I am getting the run around every time I call AI. I just called AI for the 6th time since ordering the preamp only to be told that they are out of tubes and are waiting for the delivery of Swiss switches and that they have no idea when they are coming in. "But don't worry you will get your preamp soon." I miss dealing directly with Art Ferris who is a heck of a nice guy and a straight shooter ( as well as and audio engineering genius). I've happily owned a Modulus 1, 2 and 3, but I am very close to demanding my money back and buying from the competition. I hear the PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium Preamplifier is pretty good.

AmericanHIFI likes this.
  5. Sam

So what happened to Art? Anyway, I didn't send final payment until I received the unit. Actually, he bought back my original M3, which I used until I received the new one. Never send full payment until you have the product in your hands. That being said, I love the M3B. Great value for the price when one considers the built in phono stage.

6. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I heard one of these once and thought it sounded amazing.

But doesn't it only have like 18 clicks on the volume pot? Click 3 is too soft and click 4 is too loud.

7. Ernie Adams

Ernie Adams Well-Known Member

I know this thread is a bit old, but I thought I should give an update on Audible Illusions time frame for delivery of preamps. I ordered my 3B on Feb 23, 2017. At that time I was told it should take about 3 weeks, give or take a week. Fast forward to July 16th, 2017 and I am still waiting for my preamp. I have called many times, only to be told they are out of switches, out of faceplates, out of....whatever, to finish the preamp. I went on vacation last week, but before I went I called and asked about delivery. Was told it would be shipped on the 12th, and I would have it on Monday the 17th. That's tomorrow. We will see. If AI hadn't offered me such a deal on my old 3A in trade I would be screaming bloody murder now. So, word to the wise. AI makes amazing stuff, but they are suffering what appears to be an aging founder and technical staff that is just not up to the job like they used to be. They say it is because of the parts suppliers that they have to use to get the best parts, but how difficult is it to have a "build to" in the inventory of parts to make sure they are always able to deliver? This is just IMHO.

bluemooze and AmericanHIFI like this.
  8. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

My experience, exactly.

Also my experience, exactly.

Once I got mine, I have been amazed and very, very happy. Hang in there because it will be worth it.

9. Ernie Adams

Well it didn't show up today. Called and they said it was done and was waiting for me to call and say to ship it. Funny thing: I told them before I went on vacation to ship it to arrive Monday the 17th of July. I have now requested it to arrive the 24th. Fingers are crossed. One crazy thing they asked for: They wanted me to ship my old unit to them now.......YEAH RIGHT!!!! Once I get me new unit I will ship my old unit. The 24th of July will be exactly 5 months to produce.

10. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

This thread could have a been written 15yrs ago and the outcome would have been the same.

11. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

No amp needing to be on.

12. michael paul

michael paul Member

wow, i ordered one a few weeks back. guess i am in for the long haul also?!?!?!?
    i kind of expected that. and i am fine with it. i know what the end result will be. a super preamp like no other.
    i had one years ago and it was the best piece of equipment i owned.

all will be forgotten and forgiven when u plug it in. trust me.

please let us know how things turn out. i am looking foward to a nice review of the product!!

The FRiNgE and quicksilverbudie like this.
  13. Sam

It truly is a wonderful product made by hand on Art's workbench. I guess they don't have the staff like they used to years ago, but I swear by my 3B. It works day in and out with no problems. Quiet as a church mouse since I bought it.

The FRiNgE and chili555 like this.
  14. michael paul

michael paul Member

hey Sam..glad that you are enjoying it. i am chomping at the bit to receive mine...what is the rest of your setup at this point?

15. Ernie Adams

Talked to Gerry at Audible on Wednesday. Was told they will ship the preamp to arrive this coming Monday (24th). Going to call them again today. I am traveling through Florida and will be I their area this afternoon. If it hasn't shipped, they will get a visit for a pick up by me. I asked about picking up in person before and they don't seem to be to keen on the idea. I'm guessing they think when I see a really small office and only 2 people there I will think less of them. A dealer friend of mine says thais very common in the "high end" part of the industry. Personally, I don't care if they have a traine monkey building the products, as long as they are good. If this wasn't such a great preamp, I would have cancelled this order a long time go. I know I am going t love it once I get it.

16. michael paul

michael paul Member

you're killing me Ernie..but i feel your pain..if you really happen to go there,please,whatever you do,don't hurt anyone over there. i gotta get my unit too!!! lol..

i picture the same thing as you.. a small dimly lit office. one light bulb swinging from the ceiling. some sparks flying and smell of solder. phone ringing and no one answering. a giant pile of parts. lol..good luck!! please KEEP US POSTED!!!

17. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

The new preamp model looks nice. I still have an old M3A, with the silver face and black knobs, however the volume controls have developed noise when adjusting and there seems to be no way to get inside the pots to clean them!

18. Ernie Adams

Was in Florida this past week. Called AI on Friday to ask about my unit. Was told it shipped and tracking said a Monday (24th) delivery. So I didn't have to go by. We will see. Gerry at AI was more joking so I believe they shipped it. Also, the dealer I bought my turntable from told me this is very common with high end manufacturers. Told me most of these companies are family owned and have 3-4 people doing everything. I am of the opinion that Art Ferris from AI is mostly retired. In over 20 calls to them, he has never answered the phone like people say he used to do. Will let you know how things go.

19. Ernie Adams

Well, I GOT MY 3B!!!! It showed up today. Took about an hour to hook everything up and then some testing and finding out I didn't hook a couple of things up correct. Got it all sorted out and have had about an hour to listen.........and................HOLY S..T!!! I hated waiting 5 months, but it was worth it. Much more open and detailed than my 3A. More separation of instruments. And this is before it is broken in. Now my 3A was no slouch, but this is in another league all together. Michael......it is worth the wait, but I now feel for you.

20. michael paul

michael paul Member

Ernie..i am sooooooo happy for you. all is forgiven correct? lol..i knew it.. now the clock is ticking for me even more.... i am going to try to maintain my composure, it's going to be tough....

you still have to reverse the polarity at the speaker terminals correct? i hope i dont forget in my haste when i get it!! lol

enjoy!!!

mike

The FRiNgE likes this.
  21. Ernie Adams

Yes, reverse the polarity.......I think. I did not read the manual since the preamp hooks up exactly like the 3A. Will have to check when I get home.

22. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

The preamp inverts polarity. To achieve the same polarity as the source, you must invert again at either the speaker terminal or the power amp.

There is considerable heated debate as to whether absolute polarity is first, maintained throughout the recording process from the microphone to your preamp; and, second, if so, is it audible.

I am OCD. I take as few chances as possible. I invert.

23. michael paul

michael paul Member

thanks guys

24. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Fellas,
    My best customers were those willing to wait, who understood the time required to deliver the quality guitar promised to them. My few customers who applied too much pressure received less, not the fret level crown polish essential to precise intonation of the instrument, not the few days required for truss rod adjustments to settle, and never the need for any further adjustment. My guitars were custom set up to player specs, and much more. Often times, I lightly micro-polished the finish to a plus gloss, removal of factory buff "swirl marks". (requires partial disassembly of the guitar) I've had to rebuild brand new ABR-1 bridges with new saddles... nut slots cut to customer string gauge, and necessary that the guitar would always remain in tune. Not all custom shop guitars are dressed to my standards, still the final details and tweaks needed which makes a huge difference in feel and tone. It takes time and talent to guarantee a superior appearing and playing guitar.

Be a good customer, be patient. Your money is on the counter, you will not be sorry.

hi_watt likes this.
  25. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

Fringe

Great comment. Folks should also realize that for small builders like Audible Illusions, a production pace develops (parts ordering, etc.) based on order history over time. When a thread like this comes out, all of a sudden everyone remembers how great they are and more orders come in than can be quickly handled and still maintain quality. Wait times ensue. But quality is always worth the wait!

The FRiNgE and Ernie Adams like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.