X-files reboot?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mirrorblade.1, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I kind of have to agree, and this pertains to his involvement in Dead or X-Files interviews, or any of the "Nerd" stuff he does. He's actually functionally okay as a host of a talk show (watch the horrendous "Bates Motel" talk show to see how an awful host and reluctant cast make for 30 minutes of awkward!), but his "nerd" schtick gets old. He is seen every night immediately after one of the most popular shows on TV. I've met nerds. Chris Hardwick is not a nerd. :laugh:

The problem with something like "Talking Dead" is that it's kind of a fruitless show. The actors and staff on the show can NEVER reveal anything that's going to happen, and "The Walking Dead", while entertaining (usually), is not substantive enough to form the basis for intense, in-depth analysis, especially from the panel members that are usually actors from the show or various standup comedians and/or TV actors.

Though the episode with Marilyn Manson was so awful and awkward that it kind of turned into intense performance art.

Back to "X-Files", I think the general idea is that if they did a "Limited Series" (perhaps a new trendy label for these things?), it would start out as a one-shot multi-part thing (whether 2 or 3 or 5 or 10 episodes). They would then have the option to either stop it there (or do a movie), or do another run after that. In other words, when/if such a show airs and they put it out on Blu-ray, it probably won't be called "The Tenth Season." They'll probably give in some title like the 24 thing. "The X Files: Live Another Day"!

2. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I read some of those X-Files aspect ratio debates. It has been awhile, but my recollection is that it appeared some of those seasons that originally aired in 4x3 may have been shot on a mixture of film types over the various episodes/seasons. So some can be shifted to widescreen with less cropping than others.

As no BD release has been scheduled yet, we don't know whether an eventual BD release would be all widescreen or not.

3. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

As Vidiot said it will cost too micn and home video market is not as it once was.
    Will Fox, shell $$$ I highly doubt it .
    Learn to live to what you have.

4. balzac

balzac Senior Member

The money has already been spent to redo series in HD. All the seasons are apparently done. So that part of they overhead cost has already been put out.

I doubt we'll never see any release of the HD episodes in some form from someone.

The indication seemed to be that Fox or Carter put the brakes on a BD release to tie it into something new.

5. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just remember some of the original special features have been cut out of second release
    The thinner digipack versions .
    The only would of liked is original interviews included in first release.
    The only thing is short interviews in secrets of X -Files .

6. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Currently watching Season 2 on Hulu.
    I originally stopped on Season 5.

Darryl

7. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Currently watching Season 4.
    Episode Unruhe

Fox Mulder: Actually, it says here she committed suicide in 1980. God, that was a bad year. What else happened in 1980, Gerry?

Gerry Schnauz: [Heated, almost indignant] Well, John Lennon got shot...

Darryl

8. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

107 posts. Is that a record?

9. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The good thing about shows like The X-Files is that you can go back to it years later and watch random episodes. You down have to watch every episode in order as most of the episodes are stand-alone episodes. The mythology episodes are a bit different.

10. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

11. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I've been going back thru the series just watching the mythology episodes which is kind of an interesting alternate way of viewing it.

Encuentro likes this.
  12. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I think if this show were made today (which apparently it might be), there would be no "monster of the week", one-off type episodes. It would be 13-episode seasons of only the main story arc. That's just how TV has changed since it went off the air.

GentleSenator likes this.
  13. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

And--to some extent--I think it's better this way. While some of the one-off monsters were good, others were trite (wasn't there a bigfoot episode?) and eventually they ended up with a world populated by dozens of monsters we never saw again.

Mythology episodes do need an interlude though and sometimes red herrings can be used well.

14. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

It really depends on the series though, there have been cases where the network nixed the idea of serialized storylines in favor of standalone episodes. Happened this season on Sleepy Hollow, the producers started out the season with a single long story arc and after it wasn't as well received by fans the studio said they had to go back to standalone episodes. I remember it also happened on Angel (season 4 was a single arc, the studio renewed the series for season 5 but mandated standalone episodes) and I believe Fringe was also required to have a certain number of standalone episodes per season.

The broadcast networks still want casual viewers to be able to drop in at any point during the season and know what it is going on, they believe that if the show is completely serialized it scares new viewers away.

Cable and streaming shows have more freedom.

15. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I owned these a few years ago, all of the mythology episodes compiled in a four volume set.
    [​IMG]

16. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

17. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

So the rumor is somewhere between 6 and 9 episodes, essentially a mini-series to close out the mythology arc. Very interesting! Thanks for the link!

18. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

"It is understood that an offer has also gone out to Mitch Pileggi. Other key cast members will also return."

Hmm, what other key characters are still alive in the continuity of the series? I mean, they killed off Deep Throat, X, the Lone Gunmen, Krycek, Diana Fowley, Cigarette-Smoking Man, the entire Syndicate... Who's left? Doggett and Reyes? They'd be pretty superpluous if both Mulder and Scully are back full-time...

19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

They actually brought back Krycek as a ghost for the series finale, so you never know. They will probably try to find a way to work in Cigarette-Smoking Man. He is, after all, the Darth Vader of The X-Files.

20. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

That's true - and the Lone Gunmen and X appeared as ghosts in the finale as well. But that trope feels a little played out at this point...

As I recall, you never actually saw CSM die in the finale, but it was strongly implied. Should he return, though, it would be the third time he's come back from almost certain death, and that's beginning to push it, I think...

I'm looking forward to this, but I'm also curious about how they're going to take themselves out of the narrative corner they've painted themselves into.

21. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Hopefully 13 years of reflection will have shaken out something worthwhile!

Wright likes this.
  22. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

23. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I wish it would take place after the first movie retconning out the last 4 seasons.

24. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I haven't read them myself, but they're just wrapping up a 25 issue "Season 10" comic book run. I'm curious how it will be treated or addressed, if at all, in another TV run.

25. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

A 6-8 episode mini-series is definitely the way to go and really has my hopes up - make it happen people! That they all seem to know that a return to a network series is not in the cards is another good indication...take your time and do it right, bring the franchise to its proper conclusion which the series and films didn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.