Does Carnival of Light *Really* exist?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andersoncouncil, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know, I know. I've seen numerous youtube videos purporting to be this "lost" Beatle track. But, every single one I have heard sounds NOTHING like the Beatles. The ones I have listened to sound too electronic and modern to be recorded in the 60's (regardless of how ahead of the time some Beatle music was). So, I ask you, esteemed forum members. Is there really a Beatles "Carnival of Light", or is it some hoax to get us to believe that there is still an elusive Beatles track out there?

I know, the Beatles worked on a song with this title, but I'm skeptical that it was ever finished. If I'm wrong, someone show me the (Carnival of) light.

BIG ED likes this.
  2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

It was reportedly played at a live event in 1967, so the only thing that can really be questioned is whether a tape survives

3. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

It does, it was considered for inclusion in the Anthology series IIRC. Probably just a bunch of LSD gibberish.

mando_dan likes this.
  4. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

If only it was just a rumor, people might stop obsessing over nothing...

recroom likes this.
  5. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

Lewisohn has heard it-didn't say much about it other than John blurting out Barcelona and Paul shouting "are you all right?", which at least one fakeleg has included with obvious sound alikes.

He also said similar for Revolution "20" and the "mama papa" chant, which of course turned out to be very true.

6. Boris number 9

Boris number 9 Forum Resident

Portions of Col are actually mixed into one of McCartney 's. Ambient tracks. On his Liverpool sound collage album. It exists & on some small level we can even hear some of it on that song. Have any of our talented people ever tried to isolate any of that in oops mix I wonder.

monkspider and vince like this.
  7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Of course it does... it just may not be that good!
    But, then again... 'weird' recordings have a tendency to viewed as 'not good' by the majority!
    Those of us who have a taste for 'weird' might not even like it, after all this 'build-up' and anticipation for it.

8. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Of course it exists. A tape copy was played TWICE in 1967. McCartney has a tape copy in his possession. The original session tape remains tightly secured in the Abbey Road tape libraries. Nothing of the track has ever leaked. ALL tapes reputed to be the track are 100% fake. Ron

9. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I suspect that if the Beatles thought it was good, we would have heard it by now... can't imagine that they are sitting on something they consider worthwhile, waiting for the perfect time to release it, not at this point. Perhaps they recognize that they waited too long and anything released now would have to be fairly stunning not to be a big disappointment.

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I'm not sure that is actually true. Some people have thought or presumed that parts of "Carnival Of Light" might have been used in the Liverpool Sound Collage, but I do not think it has definitely been verified by anyone. If you have more definitive info, then by all means let us know.

Arnie

11. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I've been in a room with a laptop that contained it (Gilles Martin's). A couple people who also worked on the Beatles Rock Band game heard it.

daveidmarx, FJFP, Yorick and 4 others like this.
  12. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Has it been determined what elements are present? I've not heard this rumor before, but it does kinda make sense as a place where he'd slip something in since he was fiddling with Beatle tapes for the project.

13. Jose Jones

Would that be a completed master? Or just the 4-track multi-track tape? Or both? Was it mixed to stereo and mono at the time? Which version would Paul have? :)

I know most or all of these questions may not be answerable except by Lewisohn.

14. Boris number 9

I believe McCartney himself said that while speaking in an interview about the sound collage album didn't he.

15. Arnold Grove

I believe that some unreleased tidbits from the "Think For Yourself" sessions appear on it. That is all that I have seen to be verified.

Funny though. There is also that little unreleased vocal part from "Think For Yourself" included in the Yellow Submarine film. I wonder why that session tape (and not others) has been used for some random projects.

Arnie

Paul H likes this.
  16. Jose Jones

Did you ask Giles to play it? And if you didn't, WHY NOT??? :D

Lost In The Flood and longaway like this.
  17. Boris number 9

18. Arnold Grove

I do NOT believe that Paul has said that. He might have compared the two pieces of music. But I do not recall Paul stating that it was used on the Liverpool Sound Collage as a fact, nor can I find mention of it anywhere on the Web, except as "maybe" it happened.

Arnie

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  19. Daniel Plainview

This is a good point. It does seem rather odd. Maybe they just leave it out on the counter at Abbey Road at all times or something.

Maybe it means that the song inherently contains some sort of cosmic significance. Almost as if it were the junction point for the entire space-time continuum. On the other hand, it could just be an amazing coincidence.

Kermit27 likes this.
  20. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

He wasn't in the room, the laptop was. I wasn't that high-up in the company...My supervisor did hear it and said it was pretty much what we expect.

Om likes this.
  21. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I've been on a forum with a guy who's been in a room with a guy that had a laptop with the file on it... ;)

22. Daniel Plainview

Wouldn't it be something if, when you score, like, the highest possible score on that game it unlocks the song and that is your reward for saving the princess or whatever it is you're supposed to be doing? Maybe why thats' why they are so mum about it now. It's already out there, they are waiting for you to earn it.

ajsmith, wayne66, daveidmarx and 3 others like this.
  23. Daniel Plainview

I went over to the library last week to meet the man who met Andy Griffith.

marc with a c and Fullbug like this.
  24. Jose Jones

Ronnie Howard? Cool.

25. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Something like this was certainly proposed! The edited Xmas record was the best we could get.

Om and longaway like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.