Does the new Project Debut Carbon DC fix the motor hum problem?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Alobar, Mar 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alobar

Alobar Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Wondering if the new DC motor fixes the glaring elephant in the closet problem with this deck that not one single reviewer ever seems to mention. I am sending my regular carbon back and getting a store credit from Crutchfield. I will need to get another deck from them with the credit and wondering if the new version hums as bad.

Before you start in with advice on how to fix the motor hum, please please stop. I have tried literally EVERYTHING. Honestly I feel like reviewers not addressing this problem with the original carbon is some freaking conspiracy at this point! So if anyone who owns the new DC version could chime in I would be so grateful. Thanks.

This review that I saw sheds the best light on the subject.

http://community.sony.com/t5/Other-Products/Pro-ject-Debut-Carbon-Humming-Problems/td-p/439100

krisbee likes this.
  2. Corey Louis

Corey Louis Active Member

I never had this issue with the Carbon when I used it as a secondary table

Dennis0675 likes this.
  3. pbiancardi

pbiancardi Forum Resident

I have never heard on mine either but if you google it appears to be widespread??

4. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Mine hums, but it emanates from below the plinth and doesn't transfer to the stylus and out the speakers unless I turn up my amp ungodly loud, and even then signal hiss drowns it out.

knob twirler likes this.
  5. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Actually, scratch that. A couple of weeks ago I removed the "shipping" screws from the motor and heard no difference so I put them back in. Well, just now on a whim I tried it again and lo and behold removing them a second time has almost completely eliminated the hum! Of course, I didn't just take out the screws, I also lifted up the motor a little off the sorbothane pads (which I also did before to no effect). Why it worked the second time but not the first I don't have an answer. But there you go, for what it's worth.

6. Corey Louis

Corey Louis Active Member

probably some small manufacturing defect

7. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I think I may have to put them back though. The belt seems to be riding too close to the top of the pulley now.

8. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Those aren't "shipping" screws per se on the Debut Carbon (like they were on the earlier Debuts or Music Halls), they were a design change in reaction to, what I imagine, this fellow's blog: http://www.theapplechap.webspace.virginmedia.com/TheAppleChap/Blog/Entries/2011/5/24_Enhancing_the_sound_from_Pro-ject_turntables_by_removing_rumble.html

9. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I realize they're not shipping screws, that's why I used quotes. They're often referred to as such though.

10. Alobar

Hmmm ... thanks for replys. Still looking for some insight form someone who has the new "DC" carbon that is supposed to fix the motor hum issue.

11. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Quick update, but I wound up putting the screws back in because while it seemingly got rid of the motor hum it actually rerouted it so the stylus could pick it up even more once the platter was put back and the needle dropped to vinyl. That and I was concerned that without the screws the pulley was no longer level and so would eventually wear out the belt. Looks like I may try the neoprene washer solution soon.

12. Alobar

I tried a bunch of different rubber washers with no luck at all.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I can tell the motor mount and motor are exactly the same on the new DC version of the Carbon ... they just changed the power supply?

13. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

It's basically taking the speed box S and making it internal, from what I gather. I assume that there still may be a hum at 45rpm as is the case with having a speed box.

14. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Sorry, got it confused with the debut carbon sb model.

15. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

I've had a Debut Carbon for a couple years and don't notice a hum.

wgb113 likes this.
  16. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Well-Known Member

I have the DC model (se my profile for a complete profile of my gear) and I do not have a hum. Couldn't be happier with the turntable, I think it's great. But then again it is my first turntable so what do I know :)

17. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Okay, I tried the neoprene washer technique and it seemed to make an improvement. I reconnected the dust cover and it returned. Took it back off and it disappeared. Put it back on… It returned. So basically it's my dust cover that is amplifying the motor hum to audible level. Unless anybody has any great ideas I guess the only solution for me is to remove the dust cover whenever I listen to 45 rpm (speed box cures the problem on 33). Or maybe I should try more neoprene washers on the dust cover hinges?

18. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

It looks like the hum is a product of motor vibration spreading to the rest of the TT (incl. the dust cover). Has anyone tried a silicone joint around the motor to isolate it?

19. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

I bought this table 2 days ago and I've yet to notice a hum. It's much better than my previous TT, a Technics SL-QD33 with a Shure M94E T4P cartridge (hadn't my daughter broken the stylus, I wouldn't have upgraded).
    What's the difference with the new AC power? Does it eliminate the need for a Speedbox? What if I still want a box to change the speed without moving the belt?

20. Musicgal

Musicgal Active Member

I have the DC model and have not noticed a hum

21. Schwinnparamount

Schwinnparamount Forum Resident

Yeah, I have this problem with my Debut Carbon too. I can put my ear to the turntable and hear the noise too. The cartridge picks it up too. Sometimes the noise goes away... Usually after I've stopped the motor and let it sit for the minute it takes to get another record.

22. Jeffczar

Jeffczar Well-Known Member

Agreed, they know this problem exists but sold millions of units anyway. Corporate malfeasance for sure, and reviewers just green lighting it with no mention of this at all does fall into the conspiracy category. Personally I would steer clear of a company like this on moral grounds and buy a Rega instead. I heard that the DC was supposed to fix this but reports around the web indicate otherwise.

23. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

I have the DC also. No hum.

24. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I've had the original Debut Carbon for two years with no hum whatsoever. Great turntable for the money.

Bill

25. Deryl Johnson

Deryl Johnson Well-Known Member

I have the Debut Carbon with the Speed Box S. No hum at all 33 or 45. I got the new Dead 45's and they sound awesome. No Sweet Lemon here. If it would've hummed I would have returned it. Best turntable ever, and I've had seven over the years. Pioneer, Technics, three different Duals. This Pro-Ject is the king.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.