New horror movie "It Follows"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Monosterio, Mar 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's getting tremendous reviews on Rotten Tomatoes--95% at this point. Anyone seen it yet?

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  2. michaelscrutchin

michaelscrutchin Forum Resident

Haven't seen it yet, but it's been one of my most anticipated movies since I heard about it nearly a year ago. The writer/director, David Robert Mitchell, made a lovely film a few years ago called The Myth of the American Sleepover -- one of those suburban coming-of-age films about high-school kids stumbling into life-changing realizations during a night of partying a la American Graffiti or Dazed and Confused, only slanted towards drama a bit more than comedy. It was a flawed film, as most first films are, but there was something affecting and resonant about it, and I knew David Robert Mitchell was a filmmaker to watch.

So when I heard he was making a suburban teenage horror film, I had high hopes. When the glowing reviews started pouring in, my anticipation went through the roof. I'm dying to see It Follows, but it doesn't open here in Houston until 3/27 (when it will also be available on VOD outlets).

If anyone here hasn't heard of it before now, here's the trailer:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  3. Monosterio

Rotten Tomatoes says it opened yesterday in wide release, but it's not in any South Florida theaters as far as I can tell. They must have made a mistake.

This will be my first 2015 movie so I'm really psyched!

mikeyt likes this.
  4. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

It's playing at the Arclight in Hollywood, planning on going sometime this weekend to see it. Looks great.

mikeyt likes this.
  5. michaelscrutchin

michaelscrutchin Forum Resident

Yeah, it's only playing in select markets right now, but it goes wider on 3/27. It will also be available VOD on 3/27.

Monosterio likes this.
  6. Monosterio

Thanks. That trailer looks amazing, btw.

7. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

I hope the audience is Appropriate though

8. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Watched the previews and my daughter and I both want to see it. Not in any theaters here yet....hopefully on 3/27. It also opens on Video on Demand on the same date so we may go that route depending on the cost.

9. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

10. Monosterio

mikeyt likes this.
  11. MichaelM

MichaelM Forum Resident

I Saw The Film In Cork Ireland Last Week. It's Great. Seriously Scary Though....With A Great Score .

12. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I'm watching this before I read more about it.

13. Monosterio

Is it just too intense to handle, as many are suggesting? And also does it have a satisfying, well-worked-out resolution, as one critic said? Without getting into specifics, of course.

14. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

The premise looks somewhat intriguing.... but, as usual, I highly doubt it's anywhere near as scary as everyone is saying.

15. rockclassics

I think it is more the generation of buzz that is happening. I seem to remember a similar marketing campaign with the first Paranormal Activity movie.

Regardless I'll probably still go see this movie.

16. progrocker71

It's very good. It's more of a slow-burn, creeping dread type of a film than the far more common in-your-face style modern horror flick. Very suspenseful and creepy, quite well shot considering the budget and featuring lots of long takes and slow pans that help slowly ratchet up the tension. The very late 70s/early 80s synthesizer score (with many nods to John Carpenter) is wonderfully effective. Excellent use of decaying Detroit scenery adds the to sense of dread.

It's nice to see a modern horror flick that doesn't have to rely solely on jump scares and CG-created monstrosities to be effectively frightening. It is paced more like an art house film than a horror flick, so be prepared for something closer to Let The Right One In than Insidious. Definitely worth seeking out.

P.S. - The planned VOD release on Mar 27th has been postponed because of the great word of mouth and critical reception, they are increasing the theatrical rollout instead.

17. rockclassics

Thanks for the info without giving away anything. ;)

Disappointed to hear the VOD has been postponed. I was definitely considering that rather than the theater BS.

18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Well, it must be well directed because the trailer looks completely unoriginal.

19. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

it's a trailer.

Mark Nelson likes this.
  20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I know, but teens, sex, and creepy figures popping up behind you ... whatever.

vince and GentleSenator like this.
  21. progrocker71

The trailer makes it appear far more traditional than it actually is. There are very few jump scares, it's not about what pops up behind you and also against type many of the fright sequences take place outside in broad daylight. Also, don't expect the usual partying teenagers that fit neatly into established stereotypes, these kids aren't from horror film central casting, they are realistically portrayed teenagers and are primarily cast age-appropriate.

Tim S, Mark Nelson and mikeyt like this.
  22. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i hear ya. i think that was kinda the shtick of the trailer though. kinda retro.

23. progrocker71

24. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

My hopes are always high when I see a potentially good new horror flick coming out. The blurb looks good, hope the actual turns out to deliver!

25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The reviews look good enough that it should be interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.