George, Paul and Ringo jamming in 1995 video footage- Can someone fill me in?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mindblanking, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King Thread Starter

Somehow I've managed to have never seen this footage before and therefore haven't seen the three of them ever play together post Beatles. This was great to watch and I'm wondering if someone can give me more background about what this is... why and where it took place, etc? Really cool stuff!

2. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I assume you mean paul, not john.

3. mindblanking

Fixed! Thanks

4. mindblanking

Just a mistake... or I'm the least informed Beatles fan of all-time.

5. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

They jammed a bit at George's house (Friar Park) when shooting for the Anthology although you can see Paul loves it, Ringo is thrilled to be playing with his brothers again, and George looks like he'd rather be getting a colonoscopy without anesthesia than be playing and sitting next to Paul.

jeffcdo, Rickchick, limoges and 42 others like this.
  6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

LOL doesn't cut it as I crack up reading Dr. Beatle's account

Ash76, BrewCrew82, Mike Visco and 3 others like this.
  7. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

:D

I'm not wrong, though, am I? George is an absolute riot in Anthology when he's by himself, but the bitterness and resentment just oozes out of him in any of the shots when the three of them are together. The scenes inside Abbey Road with George Martin are particularly uncomfortable...I think I was squirming in my chair more than George was.

moople72, MRamble, RockWizard and 9 others like this.
  8. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

He looks a bit happier on the grass cause Paul's appeasing him doing the ukulele thing

Paulwalrus, Drifter, JimC and 3 others like this.
  9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Do you think George assumed this attitude just to make it seem that he is "sticking it" to Paul in front of the cameras---but in a sarcastic way and not really meaning it?

Or do you think he really couldn't help it?

JimC, She is anyway and warewolf95 like this.
  10. Seederman

Seederman Forum Resident

This was such a pathetic reunion. I have never seen such a grumpy "let's get this over with" session as this. I'm surprised they even bothered; they used to have a reputation for putting pride and effort into what they did, if they planned to release it to the public.

11. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Seems they decided not to release it to the public at least initially, but then couldn't resist using it as a bonus feature to lure DVD buyers.

DrBeatle likes this.
  12. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I didn't think that George looked out of sorts at all. George just seems to have a fairly deadpan performance style overall. This is obvious even in some of his "goofier" solo performances; "Ding Dong, Ding Dong", "This Song" and "Got My Mind Set on You" spring to mind as having relatively subdued Harrison surrounded by a load of silliness.

13. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

I agree with Dr. Beatles's summary, but it doesn't jibe with Paul's interview footage for the "Living in the Material World" documentary, where Paul clearly has tons of affection for George. Very hard to sort out. Paul is frozen out by George for decades, yet…

JimC, warewolf95 and Yorick like this.
  14. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

George's demeanor certainly reeks of ...

He seems intent on NOT enjoying their jam session and treats it like a contractual obligation (which I guess in a way it was). He'll play ... but not too much ... they can do some old songs ... just not full versions. He might have actually had some fun if he allowed himself to! Paul takes George's cold shoulder like a trooper (or he is oblivious to it).

15. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

You have an amusing way of phrasing your observations, but that is not what I see here. I see George playing well and smiling at Paul several times during the video.

16. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

In the bonus stuff in 'Anthology' listening to a playback of 'Golden Slumbers' with George Martin, George H looks relaxed and he's obviously having a particularly good time. Some of the 'reunion' footage simply looks to me like George H got out of the wrong side of the bed on that particular day. I honestly don't think there's any more to it than that; he was simply unpredictable. Catch him on a good day and he could be on great form, but he could be grumpy, just like anyone else. Don't forget, too, that his finances were up in the air; 'Anthology' was yet to be completed and released (obviously) and that would certainly have been weighing on his mind; he wasn't just dealing with his lawyers for 'Anthology', he was having to deal with his personal legal crap, too.

17. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

That's generally what I've thought about George at this time, however in watching this footage yet again, George is smiling early on and seems a bit more game, though tense. George was always a little stiff or 'guarded' as compared to the others, it always seemed.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    Sathington Willoughby likes this.
  18. mindblanking

This is what I see as well. George was always more serious than Paul, right?

Paulwalrus likes this.
  19. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Agree about George looking more relaxed during the console session with George Martin present. He seems fine with it all, even enjoying it.

20. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Exactly. And, if I have my facts straight, wasn't it George who actually needed the money the most generated by the "Anthology" project? Wasn't this shortly after his major management troubles? Paul has the most enthusiasm here, yet if there's anyone who really didn't financially need this whole project, it was surely him.

dreambear, JimC, JDeanB and 1 other person like this.
  21. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Paul's interviews are incredibly calculated, IMO. I mean, he's told some of those stories on record dozens of times. Especially after George's passing, I don't think Paul would ever publicly say anything negative about him. I don't doubt Paul is a genuinely nice, lovely person, but the Paul that we see is a very carefully crafted thing.

22. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Side thought -- George seems like two different people throughout the "Anthology" interviews.

When he's clean shaven, sitting inside, wearing that blue jacket, he seems very insightful and articulate (e.g., talking about the first LSD trip with John and driving around London). During the interviews filmed outdoors when he's sporting a mustache, sunglasses, and that multicolored jacket, he seems bored, sarcastic, and sometimes almost annoyed that he's even got to talk about the past.

23. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I think Paul was usually happier when he was "on the grass"! :)

24. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Always calculated. Especially whenever cameras are rolling anywhere.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  25. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Quite possibly the best Beatles post ever on this forum! :cheers:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.