George, Paul and Ringo jamming in 1995 video footage- Can someone fill me in?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mindblanking, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Probably not worth a new thread so I'll ask here. In the Real Love Video George is walking to the studio/house and he briefly shows something under his jacket. Anyone know what? Kinda looks like a six pack of beer but I don't know

2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

You know the years are rolling by when you look back at that video and think, they look so young!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  3. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Call me a sap — but I always enjoyed this segment.

4. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Just not having the counterweight of John with the other three makes it wobbly, the whole interaction. It's kinda hard to watch.

How many Beatles does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Gloi, CoryS, DLeet and 4 others like this.
  5. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

I get the impression that Paul's public persona is something he can slip on like a cardigan. He's still constantly having to field questions about what we was doing in his 20s despite 50 odd years having elapsed and everything related to his 20s having been documented 6 way till Sunday. Coupled with ardent fans, his every word and public appearance being mined for significance or double meaning and I can imagine it would get emotionally wearing after a while.

Having the 'thumbs up Macca' role ready to go whenever needed together with the well rehearsed annecdotes and stories is, in my own utterly inconsequential opinion, what has stopped him going mad all these years. Time to talk to journalists/DJs/TV presenter? Time for the Macca Cardigan! Even as far back as Don't Bother Me on With The Beatles it was evident that George wasn't comfortable with the intense fame and unwanted intrusion and examination of his private life that came with being a Beatle. I think Paul just developed a better coping mechanism, as well as being much happier receiving audience adulation (cf the original intent of a live show as the climax of the Get Back project, 70s tours, 2002 and onwards tours).

As far as anyone in the core Beatles camp saying anything negative about anyone else, if they were going to they'd have done it by now. Aside from the early 70s post break up spats (How do you sleep, George's comments about playing with anyone bar Paul in a band etc), they've all proven remarkably respectful of one another. Neil Aspinall could, I'm sure, have told some eye opening stories but kept the band members' & associates confidence to the end.

Compared to many who have aired everything in public with far less by way of fame to deal with, the Beatles & co have fared incredibly well.

kennyluc1, Brudy, Solace and 18 others like this.
  6. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

From a couple of books that came out in the last decade, the Anthology project started to move forward when Harrison needed the money.

dreambear, JimC and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  7. Reader

Reader Senior Member

I'm sure there's lots of behind the scenes stuff that was going on that we'll never know about. Remember too that they had known each other for many, many years and like with relatives, one day everything is ok, next minute it's not. It can only take a misunderstood word to make things go in all directions. I'd like to see much more of what was filmed. George was probably just being himself more than was usually shown.

For me, the worst mess I've ever seen done in the Beatles name was that unbelievable garbage of a 50th ann. show on TV last year with Paul and Ringo. I still can't believe how bad that was. I can't forget the sight of Yoko, about 80 years old jumping around trying to dance and trying to be whatever she was trying to be with Paul. They would have avoided that like the plague back in the early days.

8. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

If I was in my 70s and had been interviewed thousands of times, with most of the questions revolving around what happened in my 20s, I'm sure I would have come up with a repertoire of canned answers that I remembered better than I remembered the events themselves.

telepicker97, RubenH, misko and 9 others like this.
  9. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Thank you! This is exactly the way I see it as well.

theMess likes this.
  10. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

We also need to bear in mind that those 'Anthology' interviews cover a fair period of time, too. Opinions and memories do change.

11. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

There is a telling point when they were speaking while sitting on the grass. I believe it was on the TV version and not the video version. I remember seeing it clearly. They were discussing India and Paul asks George if he remembers going to the cinema in India and George is strumming away on the Uke. He completely ignores Paul and doesn't even acknowledge the question from a guy sitting right next to him. Paul then comments "I guess not." You would have thought he would have answered him.

mikaal, MRamble, forthlin and 9 others like this.
  12. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

I'm more astounded that someone who assumingly is a Beatles fan hasn't watched the "Anthology"!! Wouldn't be many people on the planet who haven't who are fans. So if they haven't watched that I hate to think what else they haven't seen that will also blow their mind... what a journey he is in for!! Maybe he should start a thread asking for Beatles video advice!
    BTW George was in his typical unhappy, unfriendly, "I hate The Beatles" persona for 99% of the whole anthology.. it's amazing he even did it though I have heard rumours why he did.

JoeRockhead, JimC and Yorick like this.
  13. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

During this time, George Harrison was ridiculously stressed out over a lawsuit with Handmade Films and that guy who screwed him over: Dennis O'Brien.

Anyway, that contributed to most of Harrison's moodiness during the Anthology and it didn't help his patience with Mr. Ego McCartney. Always something to get in the way.

Tell you what, aside from the obviously uncomfortable atmosphere, the one aspect which really bothers me is the glaring absence of that other guy........notice the empty chair in the room. That always bothered me more than any of the petty nonsense. MDC, may you rot in hell!!!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  14. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I still think the best example of George's attitude to being in the same room as Paul is at the end of Yellow Submarine where they make their live cameo appearance.

Every time Paul speaks George looks away and zones out until Paul has finished, it's hilarious to watch.

15. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

It's always been that way, though. Yes, Paul can be calculated and is a master PR guy, but he also seems to have an ability to let bygones by bygones and not hold on to too much of the hurt from the end of the Beatles days, whereas George never seemed to really be able to come to terms with his issues with Paul until close to the end.

You think so? When Paul and George Martin tease him about playing the bass on the take of "Golden Slumbers" they're listening to, he looks like he's ready to punch them in the face as he sinks back into his chair. At least it seems that way to me.

I believe it was soup! During those sessions they had a soup contest to see who made the best (I forget where I'd read this) and that was George's offering when he showed up at Paul's.

We'll have to agree to disagree...George seems to put the kibosh on all of the songs and you can almost see him roll his eyes when Paul tries to get "Thinking of Linking" started.

Again these are just my observations but I've watched the Anthology probably 20 times between when it was first shown on TV, the VHS set, and the DVD set.

16. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

George comes off as a real sourpuss in the Anthology scenes with Paul. And I like George Harrison...but still pouting about things 25 years later doesn't seem to jibe with a guy claiming spiritual growth and transcendence.

And not doing any actual Beatle songs in the Threetles reunion jamming was ridiculous.

Paulwalrus, 24voltsdc, DLeet and 11 others like this.
  17. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

I'm afraid I have to respectfully disagree with your here. A close examination reveals pretty clearly I think that George would prefer anesthesia with his colonoscopy.

18. DrBeatle

Agreed! When he is by himself, he is by far the funniest and most natural of all of them (although Ringo has some good moments, too:
    "the white and the whiter album" :laugh:). But when they are together, Paul seems upbeat as always, Ringo is in heaven, and George is...not.

forthlin and JimC like this.
  19. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

I saw George smile at least three times in that short video.
    I don't think he was quite that bad.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  20. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Oh, Paul manages to get his comments in about George now and then; he's just crafty about it. One of my favorites (which I've read many times over the years): "Oh, I'm so glad that John and I reconciled before he died -- it's a pity George didn't..." He rarely mentions his supposed reconciliation with John without noting George's late-1980 feud over the I Me Mine book. Honestly, in general I don't mind it when Paul does this -- I'd rather have the honesty than fake politeness. He does tend to "rub it in" sometimes (like over who made up with John and who didn't), but hey -- they all had complicated relationships with each other, and the various tensions continue to reverberate and leak out in their public comments. That's life.

21. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I would just remind you of the scene in Anthology of George, Paul and Ringo sitting on a lawn somewhere while George strums a ukulele. While Paul is talking at length about some point, he suddenly realizes George is strumming "I Will". Paul and George exchange the "Beatle-brother" look. It's priceless and very sweet.

So it wasn't all resentfulness and discomfort. :shtiphat:

22. DrBeatle

Great points. On the flip side of the coin, George seems to have forgiven just about every rotten thing John ever did to him, going back to their teenage years, while he still seethed over anything Paul did to him over the same time frame until he finally let it all go and forgave him before his death. And it's arguable John's attitude/words were much nastier about George than anything Paul did.

23. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Yeah, I think you are wrong. I don't see that at all.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  24. DrBeatle

True. And there is a time when George is stumming "Dehra Dun" on uke and Paul is harmonizing and making weird noises that not only visibly annoyed George but me, too!

Fair enough. I just call it the way I see it. Your mileage may vary.

25. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

He also takes a dig at Paul saying "I don't think anyone's on it", implying Paul did it all while they were discussing Golden Slumbers..

Brother Maynard and DrBeatle like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.