George, Paul and Ringo jamming in 1995 video footage- Can someone fill me in?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mindblanking, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I find it very interesting reading what some of you are posting and the emotions/expressions you seem to think the Beatles have during their Anthology interviews and Threetles playing. A hypothetical example: while describing a moment in Anthology, someone will say, “George said _______ and rolled his eyes.” I am thinking about that exact same scene, and there is no such eye rolling. Some of you see/hear what you want to see/hear. Fascinating.

2. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Oh look. George smiles....

Paulwalrus and theMess like this.
  3. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

No, no. Sorry.

I meant that you won't hear about Harrison's financial situation in the Anthology documentary.

theMess and Sean Murdock like this.
  4. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

To quote George: "The microscopes has magnified the tears, studied warts and all....."

No one ever forced George to be together with Paul after the breakup. Yet he did on numerous ocasions. He even said in the Anthology book that it was important to state that all were good friends.

5. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

From the 2001 webchat:

spongeweed70508 asks: Does Paul still piss you off (tell us the truth)

george_harrison_live: Scan not a friend with a microscopic glass -- You know his faults -- Then let his foibles pass.

george_harrison_live: Old Victorian Proverb.

george_harrison_live: I'm sure there's enough about me that pisses him off, but I think we have now grown old enough to realize

george_harrison_live: that we're both pretty damn cute!

6. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Good old spongeweed70508 sure asked a great question, phrased just right. :righton:

Did s/he become a forum member? Quick - which forum members are from Lafayette! ;)

theMess likes this.
  7. Gothik

Gothik Forum Resident

He's actually carrying a teapot under his coat. I suspect it was another reference to The Rutles, he does slip a few in during the main interviews in Anthology. For example there is the reference to having a couple of cups of tea before they met Elvis, and "Shocked and stunned" in reference to something else.

8. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

My view is that George was less than thrilled to be "Beatle George" again. Happy to reminisce and look back, but not happy to assume that role again. I don't think his unhappiness was directed at Paul necessarily.

DrBeatle and coffeetime like this.
  9. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I've mentioned it before in other threads, but would anyone in their right mind have guessed that it would be George who would have come up with the idea of recording along with a song of John's ? :D
    George.. he who always said the Beatles are finished as long as John is still dead , or however he phrased it ?

theMess likes this.
  10. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

Not that it was directly part of the subject, but nobody talked about Aaron Wilbury, and that the Wilburies actually got permission from the Elvis estate to use a unreleased studio take of an Elvis vocal, which they eventually decided against. That was what gave George the idea for the recordings. Again, from 1995 interviews, I believe this one was in TV Guide. I think it might have been interesting instead to use alternate takes of some of John's hits, and the three doing the same with other solo hits to create a 70s array of Beatle-fied solo songs to sort of close out the chapter. Before anyone throws stones- I know they wouldn't do such a thing, but it was cool to see the Eagles do just that in their 1994 Hell Freezes Over tour with solo hits performed by the Eagles.

theMess and JimC like this.
  11. DagB

DagB Forum Resident

Friar Park, Henley-on-Thames, June 23, 1994.

More info here about what was filmed that day and where to find it:
    http://www.beatlesondvd.com/19901994/19940623-bea.htm

theMess likes this.
  12. JimC

JimC Senior Member

It should have been called The Long and Winding Road. Childish on George's part.

DrBeatle likes this.
  13. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

With respect to what George is smuggling into the Threetles session: A great friend pointed out to me that that he's got a teapot. When we think of what George refers to as "cups of tea" in the Anthology interviews, perhaps that kettle wasn't exactly brimming with English Breakfast tea.:D

14. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

John did a lot of silly and arguably 'idiot-like' things on camera! How about his own movies that he made with Yoko? How about John writhing about on the floor at the Syracuse gig for "Freetime" in the early '70s? John and Yoko getting into bags? Sitting in bed? The list is literally quite endless. Not just on camera, but in interviews as well, Lennon often just let it all hang out (speaking of hanging out, there was also the TWO VIRGINS album jacket). How about the Imagine Sessions footage with John having a hissy fit when the engineer sends the wrong verse to a song, and the camera are rolling? This is all quite obvious I should think; not some new beans I'm spilling!

How about the Imagine sessions footage with Lennon blowing up in the studio because the engineer kept sending him the wrong verse to sing harmonies to? I'm sure Paul had his moments too -- but would he ever allow anyone to see him in a negative moment like that?

I don't understand why certain attributes cannot be given to Paul sometimes, and John at other times. John was always far more candid and less concerned with how he appeared in public with what he did on camera or said in audio, than Paul was. This is already well known and in evidence. Can't we just give him that?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  15. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I loved seeing Yoko getting into it at her age. A nice time was had by all, and if there was any water it's now under the bridge. That's a wonderful thing, I think.

chacha and petem1966 like this.
  16. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I agree with you. Plus, George was focusing on what he was doing with the ukulele.
    This happens to all of us at some point -- we're just momentarily preoccupied, and then a moment later later on it's "oh, I'm sorry... what did you say?" I think George honestly did not hear Paul at that instant, and in watching the playback afterward it must have been humorous to all involved, especially when Paul easily shrugs it off: "I guess not".

Paulwalrus and Brother Maynard like this.
  17. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

And from memory, doesn't Ringo also mumble something like "okay, that's enough" (or something similar) during the console session with George Martin?

18. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Aah, but Paul ISN'T making mock-Indian droning sounds; if you listen carefully, just before he does that, you can hear the sound of a light aircraft passing overhead. It's THAT sound that Paul is joining in with.

19. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Nonsense; Paul and John had/have different personalities, but both considered their image when giving interviews. John admitted as such when he admitted to sometimes lying in interviews.

I am not attacking either of them, and it is true that of the two, Paul probably is more careful and uncomfortable in front of a camera, but that does not mean that John was as carefree as you suggest.

For instance, John was very careful in building his public image. When he was promoting Double Fantasy, he liked to say that he 'hadn't picked up a guitar in years until he went to Bermuda', when in fact we have his demos from 1977, 1978, 1979, etc.

That is just one example.

Just so you know, I don't see anything unusual about this, and it seems to be something that most people do, especially after being asked the same questions over and over again.

When you are famous, everything that you say is scrutinised, so you need to be careful to a degree.

20. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I think it was John's general way of saying he just hadn't been into the music scene. And aside from some home tinkering for his own amusement on cheap home tape recorders that he never could have expected would be heard publically ... he wasn't.

But John was rarely careful. He famously always shot his mouth off. That's just the way it was with John. We all know that.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  21. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Inspired by this thread, tonight I re-watched the "extra reunion footage", and I think it's really being overstated that the reunion was "uncomfortable". Of course with cameras around it cannot be a completely free experience, but I do think all three former Beatles are enjoying themselves - including George.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  22. hello people

hello people Forum Resident

For all his love and peace and meditative mantras, George was a cranky, cranky guy.

Huck Caton, Keith V and jeatleboe like this.
  23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Not accurate - the only time George "looks away" is when he needs to turn for John's line:

24. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Good point mentioning Paul's quote about being leery originally regarding George playing slide on "Free As a Bird" and I'd like to add one other thought.
    You've probably noticed also that Paul can be a master of deflection at times . Finishing off the quote you reference , Paul added something about "he didn't think John would have gone along with that" ( George playing slide "My Sweet Lord" style).That way, Paul isn't rejecting the slide playing, Paul is protecting John's interest in the song, because John wouldn't have wanted it, you see. :D

fatoldsun, supermd, theMess and 2 others like this.
  25. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Hey I thought the exact thing when I first viewed this "Bonus feature" when it was featured in DVD edition of Anthology.

While George appears to play well and enjoy the music portion, as soon as Paul requests "Blue Moon of Kentucky" (forgetting the "Short version") George doesn't seem in the mood for a diversion back into mists of time. Gotta admit Paul is like a "kid in a candy store" in most of the footage.

DrBeatle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.