Popmarket has an exclusive 5LP Sly and the Family Stone box

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by deadcoldfish, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Thanks! Just saw that, too. Anyone know about the quality of these pressings?

3. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

Sundazed has released all 5 of those titles and they're still available... but I'm guessing these are new remasterings? (Probably by Kevin Gray as he does a lot of work for Sony/Legacy)

4. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Why only at Pop Market? Why has nobody heard of this before? It looks potentially really cool but the deal lasts for 14 hours more and it's kind of an unknown.

5. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I think Pop Market wants to get into having exclusive items. I think this may be one. I wish they would tell us who cut the lp's and where they were pressed.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  6. Lost In The Flood

Lost In The Flood Feeding an invisible goat

Still available - https://www.popmarket.com/popmarket...re-name=popmarket-exclusives&feature=29965617

7. deadcoldfish

When I get mine I'll let you know.

jimhb likes this.
  8. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

I'll be curious to know too.

9. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I bit on these plus the 8-lp Higher box set. The price on both sets was good especially with the 10% off code. Does that always work.

Both are scheduled to arrive today. I will try to report back.

10. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

The legacy 5-lp box was cut at "Welcome to 1979" and pressed at United. It seems they went budget with this series but I'm not going to jump to conclusions until I listen. It was basically $14 an album so I'm not going to complain unless it sounds bad. In saying that, Welcome to 1979 does great work. It's United I'm more worried about. We will see. Popmarket at least has hassle free returns.

11. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Were they cut from the original tape? I would love to hear how they sound...

12. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I doubt they were cut from tape. The promo said "sourced from OMT" I believe. This is a similar method Legacy has taken with a number of releases like Lou Reed, Miles Davis, Joplin, etc. which all sound very good to great. This one seems to fit along those lines so far as I'm just starting. Cameron Henry (Welcome to 1979) is a member here so maybe he could chime in but he may not be able to disclose such matters as labels frown upon this. The bottom line is the sound good so far.

I actually just started listening with 'A Whole New Thing'. I'm not that familiar with this title or the "recording sound" of this album and I don't have an original to compare it to so I can't critique it with a fine tooth comb. It does sound pretty good so far. I have originals for There's a Riot and Stand, so when I get to those, I will try to provide comparisons.

If anyone is buying these for packaging, you will be greatly disappointed. This appears to a be bare bones budget release, still done with quality, just not luxury. The jackets are thin like many of their other releases mentioned, they come in plain paper sleeves (which is fine with me as I replace them) but in the end, these are priced in the $15 range which seems to be a value so far.

I just dropped the needle on 'Dance to the Music' and the sound quality is nice here as well. I do have an original this title which I can compare later and report back. To me the mastering has that "analog sound" but I until I pull out an original, I won't know the true differences.

I apologize is my review is a bit ambiguous. I just don't won't to get carried away with hyperbole or start complaining for no good reason. I will go into a bit more depth later.

So far if I had to review these, I'd lay it out like this: Sound Quality - 8.5 / Pressing Quality - 9 / Packaging - 7.

gr8trak, jimhb and Crispy Rob like this.
  13. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

UNfortunately Popmarket became more expensive here and costs became unclear so I lot of us just stopped even bothering to look.

14. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Have you got a chance to listen to your box?

15. deadcoldfish

Nope, since I'm working in a different state than where home is, but maybe this weekend.

mikemoon likes this.
  16. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I bought it and so far I really like the sound of the lp's. I don't have the originals or the Sundazed lp's, but these sound very nice. Of course,the music is excellent! So far, my only knock on it is the cheap packaging.

mikemoon likes this.
  17. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

This is about the same way I feel. These were mastered (Vic Anesini) really well and the cutting job (Welcome to 1979/Cameron Henry) was done really well too. Even the pressing quality is really good, I have only heard some minor noise but not much. All lps are flat and look flawless and centered perfectly for the most part. These are some of the better United pressings I've seen in a while.

I think this is a great package for many to get into Sly Stone who may not have before. If someone likes Sundazed, they would like the quality of these. It's basically the same. The only minor complaint is the packaging but Legacy does this exact packaging for a lot of their reissues.

jimhb likes this.
  18. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

Didn't Legacy skimp on the gatefold packaging for a couple of these albums?

19. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I think they sound good, but the packaging is very skimpy..

20. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

$40 today on PopMarket.

21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If you want all five of these albums, you can't beat that price...$8/each.

HATE HATE HATE that generic 5-Albums-By slipcover packaging though (taken from the CD series).

22. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

I had to pull the trigger on that one.

Been eyeing "Riot" for $20 in my store, debating on whether to take it home or leave it for someone else...popmarket solved my dilemma.

23. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Picked this box up for $25 on DeepDiscount last week--just arrived. Can't beat the price!

Listening to Riot from the other room; feels like summer. That's enough for $5/pop. I'll listen more critically later, but this was perfect for someone like me who isn't an uber fan but wanted good pressings.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  24. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Still available at less than $25 but the order would have to be juiced to get free shipping...and there is a weight up-charge, amount unknown.

25. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

How does this set compare to the "Higher" box set?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.