New Hawkwind (1970-1974) Box Set Coming in March

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frank3si, Feb 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

Suit yourself . To be honest I think he has learnt his lesson . They are nothing like the Bowie 1999 efforts . These sound good to my ears & I did compare to my original LPs.

Platterpus likes this.
  2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Nice collection. I can easily spot at least a half-dozen titles I don't have, mostly live stuff and the Brock solo albums, though I have been downloading the most recent studio albums rather than importing them.

I bought most of mine at Best Buy, back when they used to have a decent CD section and the Griffin releases were plentiful.

Coincidentally, I found my copy of this when sorting my boxes of books yesterday:

[​IMG]

Platterpus and Pete Puma like this.
  3. Nice illustrated guide. Did that Come with the Griffin Warrior on the Edge of Time?

Platterpus and pscreed like this.
  4. DreadPikathulhu

I think so. It's all a bit hazy now.

5. It may have come with the 4 disk Griffin 25 Years On box set. Killer set with a nice sound.

6. DreadPikathulhu

I'm pretty sure it was Warrior. The run that I bought had the wrong music pressed on the disc, so it was actually quite a while before I heard the music.

7. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Yes that's correct. Well at least that's how I got mine.

Platterpus likes this.
  8. Glennza

Glennza Londoner, lost in the back of beyond

Might need this (arguably a Hawkwind album)..

[​IMG]

9. DreadPikathulhu

Don't forget the Robert Calvert solo releases. Several are essential.

Once you go down the Hawkwind Family rabbit hole there is no return.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

zphage and Strummergas like this.
  10. You can go crazy trying to get all the Hawkwind related albums.

AlienRendel and Platterpus like this.
  11. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

It's just to the right of his deluxe "Warrior."

12. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

The only one I don't see in your collection is "Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music." Should be between "Warrior" and "Quark."

13. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Yes. It came with the Griffin "Warrior" box. I should have bought that at my local Best Buy when they had it in stock in 1994 just sitting there for years. I cheaped out and bought the standalone version. They also had the Dojo version as well. Best Buy was great in the early to mid 90s.

14. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I have Test Tube Conceived on CD.

15. Tony L

Tony L Forum Resident

That's not my collection! I'm very far from complete, I've got the CD box and this pile of original UK vinyl:

[​IMG]

I've also got a copy of Calvert's Captain Locheed, Astounding Sounds and the Hawklords album that I didn't include when I took the pic years ago! It's a real shame the CD box doesn't contain Warrior, I'd have thought that was the obvious change point being the last of the Liberty/UA period (and largely the end of my interest in the band - I'm just a fan of the early space-rock stuff).

Platterpus likes this.
  16. Astounding Sounds is part of a twofer with Quark.

Platterpus likes this.
  17. ciderglider

ciderglider Forum Resident

Hawkwind is a broad river, and many streams join it, but all I heard in New World's Fair was some uninspired pub rock.

For something Hawkwind related that's a bit more wigged out, try Nik Turner's Xitintoday.

Pete Puma likes this.
  18. The Hawkwind Family Tree and Friends and Relations cds are a good way to sample the various Hawkwind alumni projects.

19. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Yeah that was a problem with most of the first pressing.

20. I think this box set may contain the only digital release to date of the 2 Roadhawks mixes (Silver Machine and 7 by 7).:agree:

Platterpus likes this.
  21. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I really rate Bob's C's 'Freq' cd. Interesting reflection on THE major political hot potato of '84. The emotions running high still sound raw all these years later. Could do without the 'Hornets' bonus though. That's just so.....awful.

22. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Sorry for the misquote. Your UK vinyl are awesome looking.:righton:

23. Glennza

Glennza Londoner, lost in the back of beyond

Ha! Never said it was any good! I've got the original vinyl but haven't played it in more than twenty years. I love the "core" albums but, for me, that pretty much ends with Quark! I have no idea what their more recent stuff is like but happy to listen to any recommendations.

24. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

That's were Spotify comes in handy. For a long time, I was in the same place, stopped at Quark. After listening to a couple of the later albums on MOG a few years ago, I bought a few.

25. I can recommend the following 4 disks, 1 each from the decades you missed:
    1980s: levitation
    1990s: electric teepee
    2000s: take me to your leader
    2010s: spacehawks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.