Black Sails, Starz network show

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lonson, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Any fans of the Starz Network show "Black Sails"? I didn't watch the first season on broadcast, but caught it on Blu-ray. A very entertaining and surprisingly complicated storyline about the pirate world, well-cast and well-acted. Plus excellent visual effects and cinematography.

The second season was even better with surprising turns of events and a less than predictable back story or two rolled out. I'm looking forward to the third season.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

turnersmemo likes this.
  2. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

On my list to check out. So much TV....

3. Lonson

Might be one you'd enjoy J. It's a lot smarter than one would expect! And a visual and sonic feast.

ex_mixer likes this.
  4. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

You aren't kidding on the less than predictable back stories. Hard left after a hard right. Thought the first season good enough for a second, but this second has been quite the enjoyable ride...

5. Lonson

Yes, a lot of fun. I am eager for the third!

6. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Lot of fun and some serious babes naked.

Ray Stevenson is signed on.

7. Lonson

I saw a glimpse of him in a "look ahead at season three." Good news.

8. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

I really enjoy this show. My wife didn't care for it, but I still watch it. Really like how this season shaped out and all the back story on Flynt.

9. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Imo the first season was a bit slow, lot of dialogue, not much action.
    Glad I stayed with it though, the 2nd season I thought was really good all the way around.

10. SMcFarlane

SMcFarlane Forum Resident

I'm not a big fan of the whole Pirates of the Caribbean franchise so I was a "little" reserved about this series but I watched it and really really liked it. As pointed out ... very well done show. It got us looking into some of the history of pirates, beyond the usual Hollywood stuff. Liked some of the history woven into the story line. Pirates were surprising democratic on-board ships (did not know what!). Come on next batch of shows!!!

11. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Actually really like this show. Was expecting something quite stupid but was pleasantly surprised.

12. Lonson

Me too. Looking forward to Season Three.

13. ex_mixer likes this.
  14. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Beautifully filmed. The show felt it was like on a slow boil building up to the spectacular season 2 finale!

15. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I agree with all above who feel that season 2 really kicks this story into gear. Because it is a prequel to Treasure Island, we already know how certain things will turn out, if and when the series concludes.

Season 2 has some real Game of Thrones moments, like holy **** I didn't see that one coming. The writers have done an excellent job.

My only grip is the Vane character whose spends his time mumbling.

16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Just finished watching S1 of this and really enjoyed it. I never paid much attention to it before as I assumed it would be sorta silly like "Pirates Of The Caribbean" and Michael Bay's involvement made me leery. But its a lot better than I thought it would be.

I was sad to see Gates die in the S1 finale, as he was a good character. In the pilot when Silver is introduced to "Blackbeard" - LOL! I also got a kick out of the scene where the two guys were looking at the paintings and the one guy couldn't tell the difference between the original and the very poorly done knockoff.

17. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I am really liking season 3 so far for the most part.
    I find it hard to believe no one else here has been watching this (that we know of).

18. Lonson

I no longer have Starz, so I won't see it til it comes out on disc, more's the pity!

19. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

What do you guys think of S3 so far? I'm now all caught up on the show after just starting about two weeks ago. While I really like it, the one thing thats bugging me is that the main group (Flint, Vane, Eleanor, Max, Rackham, Anne Bonny, etc) have all betrayed and made up and betrayed again and then re-joined and worked against each other (but for their own good, of course) so many times. It just doesn't seem plausible that they would keep forgiving and trusting each other. I'd have expected a few of them to simply lose it and start slitting throats. Since they killed off Gates in the S1 finale and Miranda in the S2 finale, it seemed like the show was willing to kill off main characters. But I think its been too protective of some of them.

20. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Well, tonight was the season 3 finale. It was a disappointing end to a disappointing season. The last 1/2 of the season just dragged on, episode after episode of talking and little else. The storyline leading to the finale felt all too similar to the far superior season 2, a character died that will be missed but worst of all, it felt gratuitous and unnecessary. While still gorgeous to look at, the writing felt weaker. The elevation of the Long John Silver character felt forced. A favorite character, Billy, was totally wasted this season. Season started off like gangbusters and just petered out episode after episode. They showed a very brief clip at the end of them already filming season 4, here's hoping for a return to form!

21. Lonson

I'm finally watching Season 3, nearing the end, and I'm having a different experience! Really enjoying it.

22. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I think the fact that this is the final season has helped the narrative as it definitely feels like it's heading towards an ending (of sorts, knowing it's all supposed to dovetail into Treasure Island!). This last episode was especially brutal. 'sfunny, I'd heard the word 'keelhauled' my whole life but never truly understood it until I saw this episode. Like I said, brutal!

23. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Well, next week's the series finale, and it's going out in fine form! These last episodes have been uniformly intense and excellent. Gonna miss this show!

24. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

A friend has turned me on to this series. I've been going bang bang through the seasons. I quite enjoy Black Sails. Even bought Bear Macready's soundtrack.

I have found the Fandom synopsis Web sight helpful in keeping all the plot points clear and understandable.

It is interesting that all the relationships are pretty much based on treachery. Even alies, betray each other. Situations that should follow a rule for building the common good, is undermined by short sighTed self interest.

I hope the rumor that the producers are going to go forward to making Treasure Island is true.

25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Any good?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.