McIntosh MA7900

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Clanceman, Oct 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redux

Redux Active Member

Hmm not here. I hear a sound from the amp when I turn it on - like turning on a lamp. As long as the initial power guard is on there is no signal out to the speakers. This was true for both my Maretin Logans and Quads.

Clanceman likes this.
  2. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

My Mac Preamp makes "chirp" when I power it on. This sounds normal like it's telling you audibly that it has been fired up! Is this what you mean by the power up sound you are hearing?

3. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Also curious about the OPs model. Does the remote let you switch to mono?

4. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes......it does!! Beatle mono records + MA7900 = a perfect match!

5. Fergusdude

Fergusdude Member

What's the best way to hook up an Oppo 105D to a MA7900 - as an audio disc player, xlr etc.? Thanks

6. David Johnson

David Johnson Forum Resident

I have an Oppo BDP-105 and am using Audioquest XLR interconnects. Haven't had a problem with it yet!

7. PFForever

PFForever New Member

Question to all MA7900 owners...does anyone have any experience with the McIntosh MA7900 powering Joseph Audio's Pulsar and/or Perspective speakers? Would welcome any and all thoughts/experiences on the combination. Many thanks!

8. Pramit Mitra

Pramit Mitra Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I would love to include some pics of my new MA7900. Can you advise on how I can upload some pics?

9. Clanceman

Hmm....it's changed since I last uploaded a photo. Someone else may help better. However, I think you can just copy and paste now?? Not sure? I read someone saying that.

10. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Do any of you power bookshelf speakers with the MA 7900? I am seriously considering the MA 7900, which will be in my study that obviously is not that spacious (approx. 12 x 12). My main system in my music room has a pair of bipolar floor-standers powered by a 250 watts/ch Conrad Johnson ...

11. Clanceman

I power B&W 805's.

12. coopmv

I have not found any reviews of the MA 7900 by either the TAS or Stereophile, only those by some minor audio mags ...

13. coopmv

Aren't the B&W 805's some floor-standers?

14. Clanceman

No. You can get them, like I did, with the stand option.

Here's the product page. Scroll to the right and you can see the difference with the 805 diamond. The rest in the 800 series are like you say.

15. coopmv

So the B&W 805's are really bookshelf speakers and can handle the power of the MA 7900? Getting the stands will require massive rearrangements of furniture in my study, which is not an easy thing to do ...

Clanceman likes this.
  16. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I power my 805s's with a 350x2 McIntosh amp. Sounds great, no power handling issues. Glad to see a few others in the "absurdly high power into bookshelf speakers" club.

Clanceman likes this.
  17. coopmv

It can be a risky endeavor as accident can happen. I damaged one of my bookshelves when the remote got sticky and malfunctioned ...

18. Clanceman

MA7900 + 805's = match made in heaven

19. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I power my B&W Nautilus 805s ( on stands too ) with a restored MC2105 amp and restored C29 preamp and really love the combo. I added a pair of B&W powered 608 subs to boost the bottom end. Love that 7900 of yours but I'll never part with the McIntosh that I own, unless you want to crate that 7900 up and ship on out to me.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
    The Good Guy and Clanceman like this.
  20. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I accidently hooked up the fixed vs. variable outputs of my D100 once, my ears were ringing for a while but the speakers were fine. B&W 8xx speakers are pretty robust though.

Clanceman likes this.
  21. coopmv

Actually, MC 275 is also under serious consideration. While this is relatively low-powered compared with most of the amps I have ever had, it is a tube amp, which I have never owned before. Perhaps some highly efficient speakers like the Klipsch Heresy III will do. But I am not sure if Klipsch's are good speakers for classical muisc. I almost listen to classical music exclusively ...

Clanceman likes this.
  22. diononiz

diononiz New Member

Besides the tuner and tone controls are there any differences in the amplifier section that will improve performace? I was thinking of going with the MA5200 but the 8Ohm rating concerns me. I am using B&W 804 Diamond speakers

23. coopmv

I think most if not all Mac amps have speaker output terminals to accommodate 4, 6 and 8 ohms speakers ...

24. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

She's a beaut Clanceman!!! Enjoy!

Clanceman likes this.
  25. coopmv

I am still sitting on the fence on this one, though my local audio dealer has offered me an excellent price ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.