Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality, etc.: "Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely" (1958)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Feb 20, 2010.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Hi, Todd!

A few things:
    ALL stereo pressings pre-1973 -- and ALL USA stereo pressings, regardless of date -- only have 10 songs.

Mono? No later than about 1968 in the US. What's the label like?
    In theory, at least, the mono should have more instrumental detail, as there are many more mics -- and closer mics -- in use. Reverb is tricky. Not sure about the orchestral reverb, but there's more vocal reverb on the mono than the stereo

Both of those are stereo cuts, unless a record got swapped into the wrong sleeve by a previous owner or something.
    Good luck on your assorted Sinatra quests! :)

2. MLutthans

There is some question about the engineering credits, mono vs. stereo. Supposedly Val Valentin handled the stereo set-up, but I'm not sure we've really ever had a 100% authoritative answer as to exactly what went on.

3. tlainhart

tlainhart Forum Resident

Ha! You're right, of course. One of the sellers said that this copy was mono, and I jumped to the conclusion that the "M" in "SM" meant "mono". That said, I wondered why I was hearing harp in the right channel on "Angel Eyes" :).

So my mind has been playing tricks on me - hearing different details. Could be from the different mixes.

Yeah, so this isn't mono. The label is yellow, with a red "Capitol" printed on it, offset. The other copy is your standard multi-colored Capitol.

So I'm on the lookout now for an early mono, not only for the additional tracks, but for the better detail.

Thanks!

4. MLutthans

Just to clarify: Doesn't have to be EARLY mono. All mono cuts will have all twelve tracks from the same mix.

Also, all stereo LPs use the same stereo mix. Most only have ten tracks; a handful of versions have all 12.

5. tlainhart

tlainhart Forum Resident

Thanks for that - that's helpful when I'm looking.

So it was psycho-acoustics :).

6. MLutthans

Meh......different masterings can sound a little different (or a lot in some cases), that's for sure!

7. MLutthans

From the Close to You thread, regarding the 1984 Dutch DMM pressings:
    Axe, I know that the 1984 Dutch Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonley LP re-uses the Alan Dell liner notes on the back, but in terms of how it actually plays, does it have 10, 11, or 12 stereo tracks?

8. AxeD

AxeD Forum Resident

Hi Matt,

As far as I can recall the mono / stereo configuration on the Dutch / DMM LP is identical to the UK Dell - 11 tracks in stereo (but "It's a lonely old town" in mono).
    Which is a pity - I love this album in full stereo (with the full 12 tracks) - maybe my favourite album *ever*.

MLutthans likes this.
  9. MLutthans

[​IMG]
    Liner notes from the 1975 12-song-stereo Dutch LP:
    SinatraLinerNotesStory2 8.jpg

Simon A and kennyluc1 like this.
  10. Bob Belvedere

Bob Belvedere Forum Resident

Just ordered this one from Amazon UK - thanks, Bob.

Bob F likes this.
  11. redmetalmoose

redmetalmoose Forum Resident

I just ordered this from Amazon UK also. Just wondering,can you drink gin instead of scotch when listening for the first time?
    Clowns completely freak me out.What the heck was Frank thinking?

Simon A likes this.
  12. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Frank drank gin martinis, so I think you're allowed. ;)

13. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

That's EXACTLY what he was thinking.

I dare you to listen to "Blues In The Night" with the lights out......

bferr1, paulmock, bozburn and 2 others like this.
  14. MLutthans

The creepy one is "It's a Lonesome Old Town," IMO. Leave the lights on.

paulmock and Bob Belvedere like this.
  15. redmetalmoose

redmetalmoose Forum Resident

Alright, I'll give it a try.
    Its just that if I have to go back into therapy,I'm afraid I won't be able to afford any of the super deluxe box sets coming later this year.
    [​IMG]

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  16. Bob Belvedere

Bob Belvedere Forum Resident

Try the Belvetini:

-9 parts Plymouth Gin
    -1 part Sweet Vermouth
    -Shake vigorously in ice for 30-45 seconds
    -Drain into Martini glass
    -Add two Tomolives [one for you and one for any gal who happens by]

paulmock and MMM like this.
  17. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

Believe it or not, the only award it won at the inaugural Grammy Awards show was for best album cover. Go figure. :p

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Grammy_Awards

rangerjohn and Simon A like this.
  18. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The reason was simple: Frank competed against himself. He had two LPs in the running for Best Album (Come Fly with Me and Sings for Only the Lonely), and they split the Sinatra votes.

Watch Frank, Sammy, and Joey joking about it on his 1960 Timex show [at 19:38] —> Welcome Home Elvis

"Son of a gun, I didn't know you could draw!" :D

19. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Mr. S liked the gin but the gin didn't like him. But then, he didn't know of Bombay Sapphire back then. :love:

MMM likes this.
  20. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Gin has a different sort of kick vs whiskey. Bombay Sapphire is really good. It's an interesting booze - the bottle is blue, and while the liquor is not, it tastes "blue" in the refreshing sense, not tasting "green" like some other gins. :cheers:

21. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Martin, for a change of taste try just a drop or two of Blue Curacao in it. I was introduced to that years ago at the Miramonte Resort & Spa in Indian Wells, CA. They called it the Blue Martini. With a twist replacing the olives it is a very "blue" taste.

MMM, Bob Belvedere and Simon A like this.
  22. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Hang on, did I miss an announcement somewhere???

23. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I still think Mr. S's choice of "Willow Weep for Me" was a poor choice in the middle of all the festivities. It wound the pace of the show from fever pitch to snail crawl.

24. rangerjohn

Kind of wistful how FS says "lots of good things on there" about OTL. As if more people will appreciate Elvis' return from the army than appreciated OTL. :(

MMM likes this.
  25. rangerjohn

FS is known for drinking bourbon (or more specifically Tennessee whiskey) but he actually drank a wide variety of booze. He was fond of a Vodka on the rocks now and then. But I didn't know about the Gin Martinis!

MMM likes this.