Daredevil - Netflix Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dr. Pepper, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

Didn't see a thread for this. Watched the first episode and liked it better than the movie. Could be promising.

Vidiot likes this.
  2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Oooh. It's out? I'll be back with comments!

3. Dr. Pepper

Yep, the whole season just came out today! The beginning credits are pretty cool and Milleresque.

It feels like a nice intersection of Gotham meets Arrow. I enjoyed all of the actors, but felt that Matt's father should have been more of a bruiser type.

They had a scene where they could have easily went for gratuitous nudity, but didn't! I'm glad because I wanted to watch this with my 15 year old son.

Not in love with the costume, but it's probably just a temporary "year one," outfit to be changed later. Their were some nice looking ricocheting item throws that speak well of things to come.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  4. DreadPikathulhu

I thought it was pretty good. The actor playing Murdock was MUCH better than Ben Affleck was. I'm not sure about the guy playing Foggy.

I was very happy there weren't any gimmicky "radar sense" effects and many of the scenes took place in the dark.

The first episode wasn't an origin story, either, and I'll bet the costume changes at the end of the season.

5. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Looking forward to this - but it'll have to be the box! LOved the comic book, until it became too ninjafied - the downside of Frank Miller's otherwise excellent legacy on the book.

6. nightstand68

nightstand68 Forum Resident

I'm up to episode 5 and woke up at 5AM on a Saturday to watch it.

I think it is THAT good.

7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Not a comic book movie fan, but I did like this (probably because the superhero magical powers thing was kept to a minimum). The devil guy can and does get hurt (Banshee style), but there's also depth to the character and to the bonds he makes with people around him. Also, it's more of a noir crime drama with a continuing story arc, which helps to elevate it above the standard superhero fare.

Laibach likes this.
  8. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

Burned through the first three episodes so far. They actually made grim and gritty work by injecting real personality and some humor. Having lots of fun.

9. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

This series is proving to be a very happy surprise so far.

10. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I watched the first 3 episodes last night and thought it was excellent, best TV series about superheroes I've seen yet...primarily because it doesn't look like a superhero TV show. I think this being on Netflix helps it escape the trap of having to conform to the usual TV show beats and also allows it to up the violence into a more realistic realm. A nice gritty change of pace from the usual colorful Marvel template. Agents of Shield feels like a Saturday morning children's cartoon by comparison.

Vidiot likes this.
  11. DreadPikathulhu

I thought the opening credits were incredibly well done.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  12. Dr. Pepper

I've only watched episode one so far, but think it's ok for my 15 year old to watch. Does the violence, nudity, sex stay about the same level over the series, or should I preview every episode first?

13. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I'm up to episode 9. So far the answer is yes, it stays basically the same. There is some ocassional profanity. But my sense is that episode one is fairly representative of what I've seen subsequently.

14. progrocker71

The violence cranks up a notch in episode 3. That to me is more concerning than a little skin. But this is after all 'Murica where everything runs counter to logic. :p

15. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Fan of the comic back in the day and the show exceeded all my expectations.
    The actors who play Matt and the kingpin nail it imo.
    Now i am wishing for a Punisher series on netflix as well.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    FVDnz and nightstand68 like this.
  16. progrocker71

The next Marvel series coming to Netflix is A.K.A. Jessica Jones starring Krysten Ritter and David Tennant.

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

This.

I think you'll be safe (even though I've just seen four so far). I remember reading somewhere that the series won't go to the extremes that some cable shows can, and do (sorry I can't remember where I read it).

18. Enjoying three episodes so far.

Even more sex and nudity would not have worried me with my son at 15 as long as I discuss things with him. I mean a knife in the face ? That's worse.

My son is now 24

19. progrocker71

5 episodes in. This is a damn good show (superhero or otherwise), hats off to Drew Goddard and Steven DeKnight, two more Whedon alums.

20. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I'm currently 5 episodes in and yes, the show is receiving widespread acclaim. Excellent show thus far! I too hope that a Punisher series gets off the ground eventually as the showrunner is also hoping for an R rated Punisher. Heck even if they do recast I wouldn't object to Thomas Jane coming back either. That Punisher Warzone with Ray Stevenson was gratuitously violent and utterly ridiculous.

Be looking forward to A.K.A. Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist for the meantime though. And now that Spider-Man is entering the MCU, fingers crossed for a Daredevil Spidey teamup in the future, especially with Kingpin involved. Even the Punisher going after him would be awesome.

21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The rule of thumb seems to be that if Netflix/premium cable takes on an enterprise, even if the genre's been done to death on broadcast TV, it's likely to be handled in a unique and interesting way.

22. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

just saw 3 episodes and I'm pleasantly surprised by the characters, the acting and the visual style. The violence is quite graphic but very exciting and I love the storyline so far!

23. 5 Episodes in and yes it's violent. and you are worried about some sex and nudity?

Good show.

psychtrailmix and jupiterboy like this.
  24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, it does have violence, but not near the same level as say Spartacus: Blood and Sand, Banshee or even Game Of Thrones. I don't think it's any worse than you'd see on some broadcast TV shows.

25. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

8 episodes down and oh man the gradual build up is intense! LOVE this show so far!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.