Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #68)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

This has fast become the most widely owned box among the CMC members ... :righton::agree:

bluemooze likes this.
  2. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from the following box from my JS Bach collection ...

[​IMG]

3. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The notes in the box say otherwise. I know that a lot of U.S. Deccas were sourced from DGG.

4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I got the info from the Arrau-House website: http://arrauhouse.org/content/disc_beethoven_solo3.htm The booklet to this box says indeed " 1952 DGG", but that's the only reference to DGG I could find. The Diabellis recording was made in NYC and the Arrau-House site says that it was released on Decca (U.S.) and Decca subsidiary Brunswick (U.K.) Seems strange to me that DGG would have recorded in the U.S. in those years. This is pretty confusing...

5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

These two concertos, while not wildly memorable, are nice enough, and considerably less bombastic than his 3rd Symphony (Perhaps a little bombast would shake them up a bit!). Well played and recorded.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  6. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

In the 50s DGG recordings were released in the U.S. on the Decca label. I recently saw that the recordings made by Segovia for U.S. Decca were released in Germany on DGG, so it worked in both directions.

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

OK, but the 1952 Arrau recording was made in NYC and my question was if (German) DGG made recordings in the U.S. in the early 1950s. And I can't find any info about Arrau ever recording for DGG.

[edit]

Maybe he was recorded by Decca in the U.S., but the rights were owned by DGG. Anyway, I hope someone can shed some light on this.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  8. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Sergei Prokofiev – Symphony No.1 Op.25 "Classical", Romeo and Juliet op.64 (selection)
    — Chicago Symphony Orchestra — Sir Georg Solti (London / Decca Records)

[​IMG]

Mik, bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  9. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

According to several references, the Diabelli Variations recording was made for American Decca. The LP issue was Decca Gold Label DX 122. So far I haven't found evidence that it was ever issued on DGG. It may be that the American Deccas now fall under the DGG division of Universal Music, thus leading to some confusion.

George P and J.A.W. like this.
  10. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Well OK...but I thought you said you wished you had picked up those London Treasury LPs. They take up the same space no matter when you buy them. But 4,000 LPs is quite a bounty. I can see how room would be an issue.

11. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

Yes, I think this is exactly right. US Decca recordings of Segovia, Tureck, Heifetz, Stokowski and Mitropoulos have all appeared on DG in modern reissues.

J.A.W. and Robin L like this.
  12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I think this may be right. Thanks.

13. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Listening to HvK's Mass in B Minor on EMI for the first time.

14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Schubert: Piano Sonata 16, D845 - Radu Lupu - Radu Lupu - Complete Decca Solo Recordings - 10 CDs, Decca; part of disc 5

[​IMG]

Mik, Soulpope and George P like this.
  15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Piano Sonata 18, D894 on the same disc.

Mik, Soulpope and George P like this.
  16. drh

drh Talking Machine

Thought I'd offer to my friends here first before taking other steps: if any of you here in the States have been bitten by the "want to get into classical LPs" bug and need a turntable, please drop me a pm.

Now, back on topic. Plugged a pretty big hole in my collection this week: somehow, I'd never added any of Copland's film music. Not a complete solution, I know, but I just took delivery of an old CBS Masterworks CD of the composer leading his music for The Red Pony and Our Town, in addition to the 3 Latin American Sketches (which I also lacked) and the Danzon Cubano and El Salon Mexico, both, I think, duplicating actual recordings already in my collection. I think because the CD credits Danzon to the New Philharmonia Or., whereas my old copy credits the LSO--but as far as I can tell by ear, they are the same recording, their timings are within 2 seconds, I've found nothing on line about a New Philharmonia Danzon under Copland aside from this issue, and both seem to be dated to the same year.

17. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from the following box, which just arrived from across the pond yesterday for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik and ToddBD like this.
  18. coopmv

Isn't Talent a Russian label?

19. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I think they are based in Belgium, at least that's what the booklet suggests. Why?

20. coopmv

I thought I saw somewhere it was being mentioned as a Russian label ...

21. coopmv

Now playing CD56 - Cantatas Nos 186 & 187 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

22. coopmv

Now playing CD13 - Brahms Concerto for Piano and Orchestra, Concerto for Violin and Orchestra by the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik likes this.
  23. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Disc 2 of this set (that I really like)
    [​IMG]

Mik, John S, ToddBD and 1 other person like this.
  24. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Ok, we are out of space.

25. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Let's continue here. :wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.