Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #69)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Apr 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Continued from here.

Welcome!

This thread (and the 68 that have preceded it) is for all things that relate to Classical Music. Feel free to post what you're listening to, recordings you recommend, recent classical purchases, classical concerts, classical works, classical composers or classical performers.

Please discuss audio hardware and music formats in threads dedicated to those topics.

Beginners are especially welcome. Feel free to post any questions that you may have about classical music and/or classical recordings. This includes requests for recommendations for recordings of particular works/composers, etc. We have lots of friendly, respectful and knowledgeable members who will be glad to help you out.

And as always, I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to all of the regulars (you know who you are) that continue to make this thread an enjoyable, civilized and informative experience! You guys are still the best!
    :wave:

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD13 - Cantatas Nos 38-40 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  3. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Now playing...
    [​IMG]

5-String, Mik and bluemooze like this.
  4. drh

drh Talking Machine

Thanks, George, for keeping this ball rolling, and also for publicizing the S. Richter discography site. I'm now transferring the recent Richter box to my server, and the discography data are proving extremely helpful!

5. George P

My pleasure, buddy!! :wave:

6. coopmv

What is this? A man with no face. LOL

7. coopmv

It is almost time to order the Sony/RCA Richter box ...

8. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Listening to Reiner's Strauss - Symphonia Domestica. Sampled HvK's versions (on EMI) as well.

Mik, bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  9. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

The CSO brass are unequaled in this recording, in my opinion...this is my favorite Domestica bar none.

10. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Given the historical background around the symphony, my guess is that it is a representation of the Soviet Union's penchant for censorship, for example doctoring and retouching historical photographs to remove people who were political enemies of the state.

11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

This set looks very tempting to me - Jean Martinon's complete RCA recordings with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra:

[​IMG]

RiRiIII, Mik, Soulpope and 1 other person like this.
  12. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Yeah, I've got to get this...the performances here are too good to pass up.

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

He's not everyone's favourite here (;)), but Classic Today's David Hurwitz gave this set a glowing review.

14. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Yes, looked very tempting, but then: not very tempting collection of compositions. :( Ravel & Roussel OK, so is Bartók, but where are d'Indy, more Roussel, and what about Debussy? Magnard wasn't a big name at the time of those recordings, but today I'd consider the lack of his symphonies a very sad thing. I don't have much understanding for Bizet, for example.

Then again, when I checked the contents of the box now, I don't see much to whine about: 90% of the box is very acceptable. I think I have to order the box anyway... :)

ToddBD and Soulpope like this.
  15. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Starting the day with Sabine Meyer performing a number of French clarinet works. I can get unnerved when I play this as I have worked on several of these pieces, and listening to her reminds me of just how far (very, very far) I fall short.

16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Just listened to audio samples on Amazon U.K. (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PCCWXPG/ref=gno_cart_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1LFX8O7LA0BQZ - scroll down) and the music sounds good to excellent to me; lots of it is familiar, but there are a few pieces I'd never heard before.

ToddBD likes this.
  17. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Just saw Daniil Trifonov recital at Soka Performing Arts Center yesterday. Had to see what all the fuss was about.

18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I keep coming back to one of my favourite composers: Sibelius: Symphonies 1, Op.39; 7, Op.105 - Vladimir Ashkenazy/Philharmonia Orchestra London - Sibelius: Symphonies 1-7 - 4 CDs, Decca

[​IMG]

19. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Dante and the Troubadors" performed by Sequentia on DHM.

[​IMG]

Mik likes this.
  20. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Sacred Music In The Renaissance - Volume 3" performed by The Tallis Scholars on Gimell.

Works by Philippe Verdelot and Nicolas Gombert.

[​IMG]

Mik and john greenwood like this.
  21. John S

John S Forum Resident

Right now it's CD2 from this 2-fer: Symphonies 5 & 7, plus En saga. Last year I ordered the companion 2CD set to complete the cycle, but the order never made it for some reason. I'm trying again today.

[​IMG]

22. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Ludwig Van Beethoven – Piano Sonata No.23 in F minor, Op.57 "Appassionata", Piano Sonata No.8 in C minor, Op.13 "Pathetique"
    — Arthur Rubinstein (RCA Victor Red Seal Records – Sony Music)

[​IMG]

23. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I just bought volume 2. I've had volume 3 for a year or so. You can't really go wrong with the Tallis Scholars.

bluemooze likes this.
  24. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

I have some of these scattered around...the Inextinguishable, Roussel and Ravel Daphnis and Chloe on RCA LP, the Martin Concerto in a special CSO centennial CD release, the Rhapsodie Espagnole on high performance CD, and the Mennin 7th Symphony (which I think is a FANTASTIC piece of music) on a special American Music bicentennial LP paired with a Bernstein recording of David Diamond's 5th Symphony. Time to get them all in one package, with a good mastering to boot.

25. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying a first spin of this 2CD set. CD1 is mostly Chopin with some Liszt. CD2 is all Scriabin. MusicWeb Review.

bluemooze and Soulpope like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.