Crimson on iTunes? The End is Nigh!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by petem1966, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

Awesome, thank you!

2. botley

botley Forum Resident

Lizard sounds pretty close to the 40th Anniversary CD remaster. Bonus tracks are sequenced as two tracks instead of three, but it's all the same content (no Steven Wilson remix — just the originals plus the two studio outtakes and Tony Levin's "Bolero" rework from Frame by Frame).

Billy Infinity likes this.
  3. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

I'm surprised, but I really shouldn't be. This was inevitable.

4. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

If the sound is close to the 40th Anniversary CD remaster then that is the Steven Wilson remix.

5. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Wow.... I never thought I'd see any KC on iT.

6. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

There are at least 5 albums in itunes by Crimson. Almost none of it is represented in itunes match, however. At least the last time I checked I could not get any matches.

7. botley

botley Forum Resident

My bad, it's similar to the 24bit stereo remaster from the 40th Anniversary DVD. Definitely not the remix.

8. botley

botley Forum Resident

The digital booklet is also different (shorter, with much less accompanying text) than the 40th Anniversary packaging, though the original 'swirly' liner sheet is now spared the indignity of being hidden underneath a couple of plastic disc trays!

9. botley

botley Forum Resident

Oh, and while the Lizard digital booklet drops some of the black-and-white group photos from the 40th Anniversary edition, it does have the photo of Mel Collins playing a baritone sax is uncropped and in full colour, as well as an alternate shot of the band in rehearsal at Fulham Palace Cafe. The copyright information says it was "Mastered for iTunes by David Singleton and Neil Wilkes from the 24 bit remaster by Simon Heyworth and Robert Fripp at Chop-Em-Out, July 25-28th 2000."

Anyone else care to share impressions of the other iTunes releases?

10. ShockOfDaylight

Thanks for the feedback Botley. I ended up picking up Starless & Bible Black along with Lizard. I'm really happy with the sound, especially when compared to the Definitive Edition CD's of these two titles (the only versions I owned previously).

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    Billy Infinity and botley like this.
  11. botley

botley Forum Resident

Upon closer listening, I found that the iTunes edition of Lizard includes an extra 45 seconds of unused acoustic guitar overdub, included in isolation during the "studio sessions" track as an added bonus. After the point where the 40th Anniversary's studio run-through version of "Cirkus" ends, you hear this little snippet before the "Lady of the Dancing Water" alternate take begins.

Is this something that's ever been heard before?

Max Florian likes this.
  12. drasil

drasil Former Resident

the DGM 'hot tickles' rarities podcast curated by Alex Mundy released it in 2011. I think it's currently available from DGM appended to a scratch mix of 'cirkus' featuring Haskell improvising to fill gaps in the then-unfinished lyrics.

botley likes this.
  13. botley

botley Forum Resident

Ah yes, I found it. The scratch mix you mentioned I believe is the same 6:30 "run through" included as a bonus on this edition and on the 40th Anniversary of Lizard. The acoustic guitar snippet does not appear on the 40th Anniversary package, however.

14. botley

botley Forum Resident

Can anybody comment on what constitutes the 11-minute "Studio Sessions" bonus track on Islands? Considering there was over 90 minutes of bonus content on the 40th Anniversary DVD, I'm curious to find out exactly what they excerpted for this release, and the preview is just 1:30 of a track I don't recognize.

15. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

16. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

This is business not music. I'm neutral to it. It's like a cassette vs. a recordable cassette. Whatever suits your needs.

17. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

I just picked up the first seven Crimson albums (spanning 1969-1974), all Mastered for iTunes.

I already own these on CD (30th and 40th anniversary editions), but it felt good to support Robert, David Singleton, and the various Crims again in my own little way.

petem1966 likes this.
  18. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

The ConstryKction Of Light sounds MUCH better on the iTunes mastering than on my original cd.

19. Billy Infinity

That was such a strange sounding album to begin with, in my opinion mostly due to Pat's exclusive use of the V-Drums.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  20. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Somehow it sounds much more natural in the new master.

21. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

I've been Frippnotized...

Jeffczar and petem1966 like this.
  22. Jeffczar

Jeffczar Well-Known Member

Definitely pick up Lizard. So far ahead of its time it's only recently begun to be appreciated 45 years later. Now THATS something that was truly ahead of its time !

23. Billy Infinity

Anyone pick up on the easter egg at the very end of the track "The Court of the Crimson King"? iTunes version, clocking in at just over 10 minutes (probably in order to be an album-only track).

I'm not sure what it is I'm hearing, but David Singleton alluded to this in the bold:

I return from my brief holiday to discover that those kind souls on the DGM guestbook have invented an entirely new source of income for us. This wonderfully simple and gloriously devious plan involves slipping a tiny piece of unreleased material onto each of the King Crimson albums on iTunes, thereby forcing the diehard collector to rush to the iTunes store to re-acquire a downgraded version of the music they already own. Perhaps not a plot worthy of Punk Sanderson and The Vicar, but certainly in keeping with the cruel, heartless businessmen we aspire to be. If only…

For the avoidance of doubt, let me assure everyone that I did NOT have carnal relations with that woman. Sorry. Wrong denial. That we are NOT adding any unreleased material to the downloads. Those who have supported DGM with their extremely hard-earned and much-appreciated dollars/pounds/euros/yen can save them for more worthwhile causes (and we do of course, have a few to suggest). We have added the music to iTunes as it is one of the places where new, often next-generation, fans find their music, and unlike some of the other digital music providers, it offers a fair return to the artists.

The albums have been re-mastered and tweaked to make them work in an iTunes format. In particular, iTunes will only allow you to “protect” (make “album-only”) tracks that are over ten minutes long. So when we make are making album extras, there is a rationale for making these over ten minutes long. The ten-minute extra on the Discipline album which sparked the debate is made of Stormy outtakes all of which have already been available free on this site. (Although having created the edit, I will, of course, point out that it makes a masterful remix – and we will be adding it to one of the forthcoming re-issues).

For those who wish to play “spot the difference”, there is a far more exciting variation on one of the albums, which I had long since expected to be raised on the guestbook – but by mentioning it, I am, of course, forcing fans to re-purchase the entire catalogue on iTunes to find it…

24. Billy Infinity

Listening now and I agree.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  25. ShockOfDaylight

Does anyone know which live version of “The Construction of Light” as used as a bonus track on that album? Is it the version from Level Five, The Volume 2 boxset, or maybe an unreleased version? I’m not sure form the posted sample. Thinking of picking that one up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.