McCartney "New" vinyl vs CD quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joey_Corleone, Jul 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident Thread Starter

Shockingly, I did not see any threads that discussed the sound differences between the two formats on Paul's latest release

I got the deluxe CD on day 1, and got the vinyl as a Christmas gift. Up until the last few days I had not opened the vinyl yet for some reason. I guess I thought it would just sound like the CD on a record.

Boy, was I wrong!!!! While I love the album, I was really disappointed with the ultra loud mastering of the CD. I was NOT expecting much from the vinyl, but wow what a difference.

I put the vinyl on two nights ago and can't stop playing it. So much more dynamic and pleasant to listen to. Surely I can't be the only one that noticed this? What did you guys think? To my ears it's not even close, with the vinyl now being the only one I will really want to listen to for serious

Somerset Scholar, Carlox and Jayseph like this.
  2. botley

botley Forum Resident

There is a more dynamic version of the album on HDTracks, too, with less limiting. My preferred version.

Joey_Corleone likes this.
  3. Joey_Corleone

To me this is not like a subtle thing, it is night and day!

4. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

Very glad to hear this. My vinyl is on the way from Amazon. Shame its only 12 tracks.

Now I think about it, my digital version is HDtracks 24/96k file. I assume that this is same mastering as the CD?

Oh I see botley has already mentioned this. Have you compared the mastering of hi res to CD?

5. botley

botley Forum Resident

That's the unlimited one. Compared to the CD it sounds great.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  6. Joey_Corleone

When you get your vinyl, compare with the regular CD and prepare to be amazed and smile big : ) Report back!

P.S. The vinyl is actually 13 tracks, "Scared" is not listed

7. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

Might be a while. Its bundled with my order for Beatles mono box set. I'll definitely try to remember to drop into this thread..

8. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

heatherly and MLutthans like this.
  9. Jayseph

Jayseph Somewhere Between Penny Lane & Alphabet St.

Wow. Just got my vinyl. Two tracks in and you are right. Totally different listening experience.

Carlox, Sean, heatherly and 1 other person like this.
  10. Jayseph

Jayseph Somewhere Between Penny Lane & Alphabet St.

There was a lot of white paper remnants on the disc when I took it out. I will need to clean it when I get the chance. Other than that, it's a pretty flat disc. Quiet. Perfect. Surprised it is only one disc, but it doesn't seem like the sound is compromised at all.

Joey_Corleone likes this.
  11. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

Darn. I saw 3 copies at a local store, remaindered for $9.99 CDN. Amazing price, but... Remembered what the CD sounded like and passed on it for a $9.99 Joan Baez and Thin Lizzy Jailbreak, both new too. Whoops.

12. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

The 24/96 is the studio master it was made from. Available to the public, unlike most artists. That should be rewarded. Buy the 24/96.

13. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

I agree. My vinyl collected a lot of crap I needed to clean off, but it sounds much better than the CD I grabbed from Barnes & Noble on release day.

14. Joey_Corleone

Where do you get it?

15. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

HDTracks if memory serves....it was the only place I was aware of a few years back when it came out. I don't know why it would be different at any of the other places....

16. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

Cheers guys. I only have the CD. Big mistake. Will now order the vinyl.

17. sdldawn

sdldawn Forum Resident

Yeah this vinyl sounds great! Just picked it up and loving it

18. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

There is no doubt, the system wants to force us at all costs, to return to the vinyl...

19. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

Or pay higher prices for the hi res version. Either way, there are greater profit margins than releasing the better master on CD.

20. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

If only I could get a reasonably priced copy of Memory Almost Full on vinyl. Same thing as "New" from what I have read. I seem to recall the CD (MAF) has a DR value of just 5.

21. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

Agree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.