Gene Clark SACD of unreleased recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PeteH, Apr 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeteH

PeteH Shoes for Industry! Thread Starter

Whoa. Got this today:

Sierra Records, in association with the Gene Clark Estate represented by Gene's two sons Kai and Kelly Clark, will be releasing later this year an album of Gene Clark original recordings never before released, featuring never before released songs by 'Rock and Roll Hall of Fame' member, Gene Clark! More than 20 songs, were recorded on at some of the famous studios in L.A. at the time on 3-track, 8-track and 16-track masters. The album will be released on hybrid SACD (playable on standard CD players as well) and a 2 LP set, pressed on audiophile, 200 gram vinyl which will include a free digital download card for your MP3 player) with many other extras! The album will be available in advance of it's Christmas 2015 release to our direct mail order customers only by invitation only.

2. darbelob

darbelob Senior Member

Got this too. Exciting news. I really am a fan of Sierra Records, this promotion kind of cracked me up ... The whole announcement states spend $20 and you will be "on the priority list to receive more information" about this release. I'm excited, but figure I can just get the info along with the rest of the world.

3. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

4. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Whaaaa?

Are these the Gene Clark Sings For You songs?

5. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Barely a mention of an upcoming Gene Clark release on their website. But there is a very tempting live CD of the Byrds performing in 1970. Maybe if I order that I'll get on their mailing list. Of course would love an SACD of unreleased Gene material.

6. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident

woah!!!! How do I get an invite???? Glad it's on vinyl.

7. Clarkophile

The album won't be released until the fall. This was only a heads-up for Sierra Records' newsletter subscribers. Send an email to [email protected] to be put on the mailing list for future annoucements.

belushipower likes this.
  8. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Do we have any idea which phase of his career this material will be drawn from?

9. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Sierra Records has a history of over-promoting releases that never happen and generally disappointing customers. I'll believe it when I see it.

melstapler likes this.
  10. PeteH

PeteH Shoes for Industry! Thread Starter

A little more news this morning. They sent out an email clarifying some of the info in their earlier email.

The other burning question was in regards to the release later this year of "Gene Clark". Yes, it will be on the Sierra Records label and the recordings are from 1964, 1967, 1982, all studio master recordings from the original 3-track (1/2" tape), 8-track (1" tape) and 16-track (2" tape). The 2 LP set will have the same songs as on the hybrid SACD.

11. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

WHOA

sixelsix likes this.
  12. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Not in this case. I've been privileged to hear some of the tracks slated for inclusion, and if you're a Gene Clark fan they're essential. John Delgatto of Sierra is pulling out all the stops for this release. It's definitely on track, not like the Two Sides debacle (which was another record label). Looks to be this Fall.

13. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

WOW. I am jumping up and down over here. WOW.

melstapler likes this.
  14. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Coool! I'm in

15. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Guy E likes this.
  16. mobygrape85

mobygrape85 New Member

From my understanding the 1967 tracks were produced by Jim Dickson - These won't be the Gene Clark Sings For You tracks but most likely alternative versions of songs we've heard before - i.e. stuff from Echoes/Gosdin Bros. and perhaps preflyte Byrds stuff (concerning the 1964 material)....I doubt it will be anything revelatory or earth shattering. Much of the stuff that people really want to hear (demos and studio recordings from 1967-1968) are either lost, destroyed or in the hands of private collectors....Can anyone tell us some of the potential tracks? Ill be shocked if its legit 1967 tracks we have not heard...

melstapler and Yorick like this.
  17. John Rhett Thomas

I think with the exception of one track, it's stuff that's never circulated before. I've seen a handful of the tracks on YouTube in poor quality, and this release promises to have them in pristine condition from the masters, but outside of that small handful of tracks virtually the entirety of the disc will be new to everyone. It's an arrangement of tracks from various sources and different eras, and I would say that two of those musical settings in particular portray Gene and his talents in a way that you've never heard him portrayed before.

It'll be up to you whether they're earth shattering or revelatory. I think it will not only be an enjoyable set of music for Gene fans, but it'll deepen our understanding of him as a singer, writer and performer.

18. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Isn't it silly? The lost tracks or maybe even the left-overs are getting a SACD treatment, all the original great albums of Gene Clark did only get vinyl and CD formats...

Jarleboy, pablo fanques and indigo_m like this.
  19. mobygrape85

mobygrape85 New Member

So what exactly are some of the 60s tracks? There is one track posted on youtube from Gene Clark Sings For You - I believe it has a mellotron but the sound quality while rough is still quite listenable. But some of his outtakes appeared on the Byrd Parts series - songs that were eventually covered by David Hemmings - songs like If I Hang Around, etc. - Sierra Compilation although most Clark fans wouldn't consider these new or unreleased tracks. Sierra often repackages old releases and tries to present the music as new material....If you can name a few tracks you may convince me otherwise Sierra in my book will always have an unreliable reputation....

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
    milankey likes this.
  20. Clarkophile

Rhett has heard the release and has provided some helpful information about it for us. I think it is safe to say he would happily publish the track list were he able to, but obviously this is not the case. So I guess you'll just have to remain unconvinced for the time being.

This release has the full cooperation and participation of the Clark Estate--which means this isn't one of those shoddy grey-market releases that keep popping up all over the net like weeds.

I guess I'm a little puzzled and disappointed by the cynicism that has characterized much of this thread so far. For me this is a cause for celebration.

21. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Very interested in this, looking forward to seeing the track listing.

Sierra have also, in the past, hinted that they will be releasing the Hinshaw mix (the original mix) of the (8 IIRC) songs from the album that became Roadmaster, would like that too if they ever get around to it.

Edit: Yes Tom, a cause for celebration indeed.

22. John Rhett Thomas

Though I've heard some of the tracks I'm not in a position to name any of the tracks, just to give you my impression of them as a fellow Gene Clark fan. I can't imagine anyone who is a card-carrying Gene fan not being excited about this release, and enjoying it once they have it in their hands. I know some folks want full details but that's not for me to deliver. I'm not a Sierra employee, just someone who has been fortunate enough to be able to hear the tracks. I'm a lucky guy! And you will be, too, when it comes out.

I would like to clarify what I said earlier: When I said there was only one track that has "previously circulated", I meant "circulated" on an official release; there's one song on this set from a previously released collection that represents a further batch of recordings which, up until now, have been unknown. There are an additional handful of tracks that have never been officially released, but are on YouTube or in the hands of hardcore Gene collectors, but will finally see official release from the master tapes in high quality, as opposed to the relative lo-fi quality you may have heard them in.

Delgatto says there's "over 20" tracks, so I'd say there's 4 or 5 of those that hardcore fans may have heard. Most of the rest of them have not only been unheard, but until very recently unrumored!

If you consider Sierra to have an unreliable reputation, that's fine. I can only vouch for what I've heard on this collection and, as a Gene fan, I can tell you it's gonna be pretty cool.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  23. John Rhett Thomas

Yes indeed!

indigo_m, Mike Griffiths and zobalob like this.
  24. John Rhett Thomas

That would be pretty cool, wouldn't it? In my opinion, Roadmaster doesn't really cohere as an album – the pacing of it's a bit awkward – but pound for pound those recordings match up with the best recordings Gene ever released. I'm fascinated by that album's interesting place in Gene's discography, and would love to see a deeper exploration of what it really meant to him as an artistic statement.

Mike Griffiths and zobalob like this.
  25. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

This release sounds like it could be a major event in Clark/Byrds lore. The White Light demos prompted a significant re-evaluation from me of Gene (I was already on board with him, but the depth and power of those solo recordings brought a valuable new side of him to the table)...in fact, I'd say that release itself was a major event, even though most of the songs on it were already familiar. Plus, we all know how many tracks Gene cranked out without formally recording them...and we know that many of them were on par with what he DID release, but that he set them aside simply because they weren't current.

The Hinshaw mixes of the Roadmaster tracks also demand to be heard. I have heard them, but only in terrible quality. And even in that form it's easy to hear how integral the otherwise lost backing vocals are to the arrangements of tracks like "Shooting Star."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.