Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread. (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. An email to AS letting them know that you did not get what you paid for would probably be a good place to start.

2. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I believe ProStudioMasters has the corrected version of 'A Farewell To Kings'. They also addressed the issue on their support page. I purchased it this morning along with '2112' and both sound fine to me.

3. vinylvark

vinylvark Forum Resident

I tried to search through part 1 as well, sorry if this has been answered somewhere already. I would like to get the first 6 albums on vinyl. I understand the EU is pressed at GZ so I am definitely not getting those.

Where are the US versions pressed at?
    Did they do a good job remastering them? I read something about noise not being on the original albums?

Thanks!

4. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

I've opened a ticket with Pono over the 24/96 AFTK purchase I made last week, will follow up with their response.

5. scottp

scottp Forum Resident

I am interested to hear what they come back at you with. Being a Pono backer I assume I'd get the upgrade if/when file is upgraded. The vinyl is more than enough to hold me over for now. Really happy will each installment so far. :)

6. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

This is the email that I sent to AS:
    I'm hoping that this can be worked out.

7. soka

soka Forum Resident

I can confirm highresaudio.com have the right AFTK. It IS the 2015 remaster and the FSR IS 192kHz.:righton: Checked it in Sonic Visualiser.

crimsun, vanye and Hymie the Robot like this.
  8. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Are you setup to check the dynamic range values? Please post if not too much trouble...

9. mitchcortes

mitchcortes Forum Resident

The US versions are pressed at Quality Record Pressings. These are 200 gram. The EU versions are indeed pressed at GZ vinyl and are 180 gram. The mastering is the same for both as far as I know. I don't see why everyone is so negative about GZ pressings. All my records from this company are flat, well centered and play great when cleaned. I only have 2112 and AFTK should be here tomorrow, but the new 2112 sounds fantastic. The only thing I really hate from GZ are the custom inner sleeves. They are very tight. These new Rush pressings however come in a polylined innersleeve, which is also a plus for me.
    There is also some talk about the US AFTK pressing having issues being warped/dished. So, if you live in the EU I don't see why you shouldn't try the GZ pressings. A lot cheaper too I guess...

kingofstoneage and Sci-Fi Kid like this.
  10. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I purchased AFTK from PSM last night and it appears to be the correct version, although I don't have a visualizer program to validate that. Another nice upgrade from my Sector 24/96 version! I will likely wait to by Hemispheres until after I read some feedback from the board that all is as it should be w the files.

11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'm only interested in the 96/24. Has anyone purchased AFTK at that resolution and received the 2015 mastering that isn't an upsample?

sound chaser likes this.
  12. redteck

redteck Forum Resident

Sorry to hear about all the warping/noise problems folks are having with the vinyl. It's sad for this to happen just as Rush starts showing some interest in audiophile releases. Apparently, I've been ridiculously lucky so far, having bought them all with no deal-breaking issues. I've purchased them all from Amazon and they've all arrived nice and flat. AFTK does seem to have just a bit more surface noise (a light rumbling in the quiet sections) than the others, but that might be my medium-quality turntable talking. On the whole, I'm very pleased.

JulesRules and Ben Adams like this.
  13. vanye

vanye Forum Resident

Thanks. Seems their quality control's really got it going on. Good to see this confirmed.

14. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

Contacted AS about this and recieved a reply that, referring to information in this forum (likely this thread), it's the Sector version of the album that is upsampled and not the new remaster... Wonder how they got that idea!

15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yeah, they are mixing everything up!

16. vinylvark

vinylvark Forum Resident

Thanks, appreciate it.

I don't want GZ vinyl because almost every item I have and had from GZ has pops and cracks and are dirty in their (plain paper) sleeves. Some are better than others but I find it mostly unacceptable. Cleaning helps to some degree but doesn't bring it up to an acceptable level for me personally.

Tullman likes this.
  17. mitchcortes

No problem. I think I read some people got US pressings from seller All Your Music on amazon.co.uk for a good price. Maby you should check it out or someone who has bought one of these US versions can chime in to confirm or not...

vinylvark likes this.
  18. Just want to say that yesterday I received my copy of the 2112 hologram edition LP. Here's a sample:

Shel, nightenrock, Hawklord and 2 others like this.
  19. mitchcortes

I read some reports about noises during Madrigal... I just received my EU copy and also hear some wierd noises. Doesn't sound like scratches or dust to me... I have just cleaned the record with a carbon brush before spinning. I will wet clean the record this weekend to see if it washes of, but was wondering if every vinyl copy had this issue so far?!

20. soka

soka Forum Resident

vinylvark and Hymie the Robot like this.
  21. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Confirming I have the same issue on my replacement. A few loud pops in "Madrigal." Oddly enough, my first copy that was shaped like a bowl did not have any such issues.

22. mitchcortes

Sorry to hear your copy turned out bad also. On the other hand good to know not every copy has noise in the same song. My gz pressing was pretty good otherwise (flat, well centered). We'll see how it cleans up before asking an exchange.

23. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Does anyone know if Pono music store has the corrected files yet?

24. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

I opened ticket a couple of days ago and they said they are investigating and will get back to me. I haven't heard anything.

25. crimsun

crimsun Active Member

Also, visually:

[​IMG]