Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread. (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. soka

soka Forum Resident

Initially I was a little reserved about the sound quality on the 2015 AFTK, but after I have listened to the genuine hi-res version several times during the last days, I have to admit that this is yet another winner from Sean "Magician" Magee. Highly recommended!

2. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Just so I'm clear on this hullabaloo, where can I buy the "proper" hi-res version if I'm in the US?
    I have an account I made on hiresaudio.com with google translate, but, the hola proxy extension will still not allow me to make a purchase...

3. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

The Latest:
    Ian Kendrick (Moderator)
    Hi everyone. Just out of the call with Pono. This was raised and discussed at some length. Is to do with a confused situation regarding the files sent to Pono. That means liaising with the record company and the content provider, which is happening right now. Pono are very aware of the problem and are addressing it, I have no doubt of that.

The best view we have right now is that by the end of next week we should have a clear position on how to sort it all out. One thing that was completely clear from the call is that Pono will sort out the file situation first and then address individual customer issues and do the right thing - whatever that turns out to be when things are clear.

In short - if we can hang on until end of next week, things should be clear. If things move before then, we will let you know immediately.

Hope that helps

best

i · Today at 11:19 AM ·

jonboy71 likes this.
  4. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Guess I'll wait for Pono...Thanks, Stereo.

5. soka

soka Forum Resident

Strange... Hola + Pay Pal usually open almost any door..

6. mitchcortes

mitchcortes Forum Resident

I don't know exactly how to check if my download from qobuz is the correct version. I bought the 24/192 version but downloaded 24/96 as I can't play 192 kHz with my laptop/DAC.
    The DR is roughly the same but has small differences compared to the 24/192 hiresaudio version listed here: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/88223

My qobuz 24/96 download reads:

foobar2000 1.3 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2015-04-30 21:00:06

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Rush / A Farewell To Kings
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR12 -1.50 dB -16.32 dB 5:58 01-A Farewell To Kings
    DR12 -0.43 dB -15.69 dB 11:10 02-Xanadu
    DR13 -1.97 dB -20.41 dB 2:56 03-Closer To The Heart
    DR14 -1.60 dB -18.03 dB 4:23 04-Cinderella Man
    DR14 -4.36 dB -22.61 dB 2:36 05-Madrigal
    DR11 0.00 dB -15.49 dB 10:29 06-Cygnus X-1 (Book I: The Voyage)

Number of tracks: 6
    Official DR value: DR13

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 2601 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

Listing from dr.loudness-war.info (hiresaudio 24/192)

foobar2000 1.3.7 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2015-04-30 16:01:52

Analyzed: Rush / A Farewell To Kings (Remaster)

DR12 -1.95 dB -16.81 dB 5:55 01-A Farewell To Kings
    DR12 -0.78 dB -16.19 dB 11:12 02-Xanadu
    DR13 -2.29 dB -20.91 dB 2:56 03-Closer To The Heart
    DR13 -2.26 dB -18.56 dB 4:23 04-Cinderella Man
    DR14 -4.96 dB -23.16 dB 2:35 05-Madrigal
    DR11 -0.01 dB -15.98 dB 10:27 06-Cygnus X-1

Samplerate: 192000 Hz
    Bitrate: 4514 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

Could this be due to the difference between 96 and 192 kHz or should they be the same?

I also checked the file sizes and they correspond well to other songs of about the same duration from the latest rush remasters (all 24/96).

7. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

@mitchcortes I guess to be sure you'll have to open the files in a spectrogram.
    If you send me a sample I can look it up and tell you which version you have.

8. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Do you have any 192 files you could downconvert to 96 and do a comparison? Good question, I thaught they would stay the same. I can do a test later today or tomorrow ...

9. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Not mine.

mitchcortes likes this.
  10. mitchcortes

Ok, thanks!

11. mitchcortes

Good advice! Never crossed my mind but I can still download 24/192 files for Supertramp - Crime of the century and Rush - AFTK from qobuz to make a comparison...

12. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

Here's the 24/192 version from AS, purchased on the day of release and they have not replaced the files since as far as I know.

Analyzed: Rush / A Farewell To Kings (Acoustic Sounds)
    DR12 -1.51 dB -16.31 dB 5:58 01-A Farewell To Kings
    DR12 -0.42 dB -15.68 dB 11:10 02-Xanadu
    DR13 -2.01 dB -20.41 dB 2:56 03-Closer To The Heart
    DR14 -1.49 dB -18.03 dB 4:23 04-Cinderella Man
    DR14 -4.36 dB -22.61 dB 2:36 05-Madrigal
    DR11 0.00 dB -15.49 dB 10:29 06-Cygnus X-1 Book I The Voyage
    Samplerate: 192000 Hz
    Bitrate: 9216 kbps
    Codec: PCM

13. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Anyone keep the upsampled files they bought on release day that now has access to the proper files and compared the two?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
    Pericles likes this.
  14. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

I have the release day files, but not the new ones. Purchased thru Pono

15. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Same here....To me, this is a real test for hi-res...Will gladly wait to see how Pono will distribute the new files before buying elsewhere, but I sure hope to hear a difference!

16. crimsun

crimsun Active Member

Just picking one track, with my current (not preferred for close listening) PM-3 cans, I believe I discern very subtle differences between the two (AS and Highresaudio, both 24/192) in "Xanadu" between 4:11 and 4:24. The "proper" 24/192 have clearer decay in the ride.

oneway23 likes this.
  17. mitchcortes

This compares pretty much to my qobuz download... Guess I will ask them if they can provide the 'proper' files.

18. DeanoBee

DeanoBee Lifelong Music Junkie

I know that AFTK was supposed to be out on April 21 but the site I purchase from in Canada (PSM) did not put out their 192 version until the 28th. I know that Pono had it out on the 21st but obviously there were issues with the 21st release. My 192/24 bought through PSM on the 28th sounds pretty darn good. Sorry I am not techie enough to do the DR analysis like others!
    I have the 192/24 2015 Remasters of FBN and 2112 as well and they seem comparable.

19. soka

soka Forum Resident

Using Foobar2000/SoX as a downsampling tool, the dr-values stays exactly the same going from 192 to 96kHz on the "fake hi-res" AFTK.
    I guess the real hi-res version must be a (slightly) different master...

I have compared the two versions on my main rig. The tonality is the same, the percieved loudness is the same and the dynamics sounds the same.
    However, when I listen to the fake, I feel it's a bit edgy and harsh at higher volume and I want to eq it a little in the upper range. The real one instantly just feels right. And, to my wifes regret, it's very crankable!:whistle:

mitchcortes likes this.
  20. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Just tried to purchase this, but can't. Why the hell do they even let you register if you're in the US and can't buy from them?

21. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

Today was 2112 day. The digital download vs the new vinyl vs the original JAMF vinyl, vs the original Canadian Anthem CD. To me the absolute bottom of the pack was the new digital download. To my ears it just sounds dull. It's flat (not at all LOUD) but almost too flat.

Interestingly, I think the 2015 Vinyl might be the best. It's just absolutely night and day vs the digital download. The JAMF was my previous goto and so far it seems to be coming in 2nd. (I think I mentioned in Pt 1 of this thread that I preferred the JAMF vs the 2015 vinyl but I'm slowly changing my mind).

So as far as digital goes the Original Canadian Anthem CD still reigns supreme, IMO.

22. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

Just out of interest, what do you use to play the hi-res? I don't think the 24/192 2112 sounds dull at all. Just "right". The only one I'm slightly disappointed with so far is AFTK, but that may be because of the debacle with the wrong files being sold initially.

At first I was a bit disappointed with the self-titled too, but after comparing the 24/192 with a 24/96 rip of the 2014 vinyl release the all digital one is a clear winner. More and more so the closer to the center of the vinyl disc you get.

Stallings, Mij Retrac and DeRosa like this.
  23. soka

soka Forum Resident

Well your analogue chain must be better than your digital then, since the source material for the new remaster is the same for the vinyl and the hi-res files.

That Anthem must be something to own. I have the atomic, the 97, the Sector and both the new versions. The new 2015 with the right files beats them all easily imo.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  24. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

Whats in your digital and your analog playback chains?

25. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Night and day? I suspect that may be overselling it just a touch. I respect that you may already have an inclination towards vinyl, but, you've clearly invested significantly more in your vinyl chain as opposed to your digital, as the vinyl is, in fact, sourced from the exact same files.

Mij Retrac likes this.