Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread. (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Mr Wensleydale

Mr Wensleydale Forum Resident

I have contacted Technics Tracks (part of 7digital I think) from where I bought the 24/192 AFTK files. They responded very quickly saying that they are aware of the issue and have queried it with the label, so I expect that those of us who have bought it from there will be able to re-download the corrected version in due course

robtodd likes this.
  2. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

How is the bass on these new HD reissues compared to the original CDs? Since I am a cheapskate, I have been buying the original LPs whenever they pop up in my local shop instead of these new releases and have noticed ATWAS, GUP and Power Windows seem to have less bass on LP than on my original CDs. Might this be a personal problem with my record player?

3. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I have not received a response from Acoustic Sounds yet. Does anyone think they'll have the true hi-res files?

4. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure they don't have the correct files yet. When I asked them about it their reply indicated they had misunderstood the whole problem and claimed the reports about an upsampled AFTK concerned the older Sector version and not the 2015 remaster. Since I, in all kindness, pointed out they were wrong and asked them to investigate further I haven't heard a sound. I consider buying the right version from someplace else right now and then forget about the existance of AS altogether. They could at least let their customers know what they're planning to do regarding this silly situation.

nightenrock likes this.
  5. integriscdp

integriscdp Active Member

Pro Studio Masters have indicated that they have the correct version of the AFTK files. :)

6. Gezza

Gezza Forum Resident

My Rush QRP experience is positive (so far) - I've bought FBN, COS, 2112, ATWAS and AFTK from All Your Music (Amazon UK) - pressings are flat no pops. :thumbsup:

7. mitchcortes

mitchcortes Forum Resident

Anybody heard from qobuz if they will receive the correct files? I emailed about it but haven't heard anything yet.

8. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I didn't want to say that:) But that definitely does not sound like the correct order in terms of bass performance. I also have all original vinyl pressings as well as darn near all the cd pressings and the bass is stronger on the vinyl - Power Windows dramatically so. GUP is never going to be a bass heavy album. As far as ATWAS goes, the new vinyl and hi rez files sound the best I have ever heard this album - period. I think you will be very happy with how full that one sounds compared to what came earlier....vinyl and digital.

9. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Show off!!!! :) :)

Gezza likes this.
  10. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

Thanks for replying, that confirms what I was afraid of. Guess I will have to spring for at least the HD audio files.

11. crimsun

crimsun Active Member

I suspect that they will post updated ones eventually. They did something similar for a DSD64 purchase of Hugh Masekela's "Hope."

12. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

I'm not listing my equipment because there is nothing wrong with it. And the vinyl tracks I played were ripped from vinyl and played back on the same digital chain. If you guys want, I will post part of a track this evening or Saturday. I won't mention which track is which. I'll let you decide.

13. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

Who said that there was anything wrong with your equipment? Did you rip the vinyl yourself? Are you sure you downloaded the new, correct digital remaster and not the faulty one or the sector version?

14. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

I think we are just saying that the download should sound almost identical to the new vinyl. If it doesn't something is wrong somewhere or you don't have the new download since the record was cut from these files.

oneway23 likes this.
  15. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

You must admit that it's a bit strange if a rip of a vinyl disc that was cut from the digital files that you are comparing the rip with sounds "better". Different, sure, but if you prefer the vinyl rip I'd say it must have to do with you preferring the sound coloration of your vinyl rig or have a system that does.

oneway23, Orthonormal and Plan9 like this.
  16. You won't list your equipment "because there is nothing wrong with it?" Don't get it. Besides, filling out your equipment profile is required.

17. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

Ok, I have the clips already. This is A Passage To Bangkok. Four 30+ second clips in one RAR file. Password is "rush"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0smdlef8owwyion/Passage.rar?dl=0
    (If you get a popup asking to sign-up, just click the X at the top)

Things to note:

All the files are 24/96 so you can't tell which is which. :) The 2015 Digital download was previously 24/192. And the Canadian Anthem CD was previously 16/44.

What I suggest doing is comparing Tracks 1 and 2 and set aside the winner and go on to Tracks 3 and 4...setting aside that winner. Then do one final comparison between the two winners of each grouping. Trust me, this is the easiest way to compare.

So far, the 2015 vinyl's sound quite different than the downloads. No one was more surprised than I was. The only exception is Caress of Steel. The vinyl and download sound very similar.

That's BS.

18. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

They no longer have Farewell to Kings on their site...so glad I waited...what a mess, this should be right from square one....at some point Rush fans should be very irritated that the band doesn't take more pride in their releases. Soooo many "hi-rez" reissues, we should be able to trade in and up! Going to pull the trigger on the ProStudio version tonight....

15% code is BELLA by the way

19. Russell Weston

Russell Weston Forum Resident

Just received my 2112 Vinyl in the mail from amazon and I am very pleased! Unlike many posters on this forum, my copy is near flawless and VERY quiet: low surface noise, no loud clicks or pops, just great sound! really psyched now for Hemispheres,Waves, MP, and Signals

20. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

21. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I gave these a listen, thanks for the effort....my initial reaction is #4 was best but I want to throw in my bluray version for a comparison.

I gave Farewell to Kings an A/B with a clip I downloaded from the initial 2015 24/96 reissue and have to say the newest ProStudioMaster 24/192 had more definition on the top end.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  22. Seriously, that's the rule if you are going to make comments about sound quality. It is very important to know somebody's frame of reference because one person's playback equipment can sound completely different than another's. It's not to judge anyone or their system.

At the very least, if people are going to comment about the sound of an LP, they should post what cartridge they are using.

Nick Scott likes this.
  23. OK. It used to be the rule, from Steve himself. You should really do it for your cartridge, at the very least.

24. henry babenko

henry babenko Forum Resident

Hey. are these vinyls limited editions. will they be out of print this time next year?? wondering.. how long we have to get em before ebay gets a hold of the put of print and they got for hundreds of dollar..

25. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

Ok, I will tentatively put you down for #4. :) I'm looking forward to hearing AFWTK. I haven't heard it yet.

Well the Original Rush ('74) is still available and it's been out for over a year.