Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread. (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. FYI, HD Tracks now has 24/96 and 24/192 files of A Farewell to Kings available for purchase.

2. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

I got a credit for my version of AFTK from Pono today.

3. madrushian

madrushian Active Member

This is a little late in coming. I have the rush original reissue vinyl collection with the mp3 download it sounds great. I was wondering if there is a difference between the mp3 download and the versions that are available on HD tracks and other high resolution websites is it worth buying the high resolution version if I already have the mp3 download?

4. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

The downloads that come with the vinyl are vinyl rips. The high res versions are straight digital. So they're definitely different.

5. Mij Retrac

I guess that all depends on whether you feel you can hear a difference between MP3s and hi res.

6. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I would expect the ProStudioMaster version at 24/96 is correct....they only had it at 44.1 previously. But I would pay the extra $$$ as this was done at 192 and I think worth the extra drive space for such an amazing record.

madrushian likes this.
  7. SteevG

SteevG Forum Resident

I was putting off buying a vinyl flat (no affiliation) but after I got AFTK's I ordered one. Almost perfectly flat now after 3 flattening cycles.

They do sound fantastic.

SteevG

madrushian and jon9091 like this.
  8. Amperage

Amperage Forum Resident

Woot! Off I go!

9. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Vinyl rips? Really?

10. That's what they say: "320kbps vinyl-ripped AAC MP4s".

Although, in my opinion, they sound way too compressed for a vinyl rip. Too bad if they apply such high compression after ripping.

11. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

I didn't. Grr.

12. rpd

rpd Senior Member

That stinks IMHO

I think if I buy the vinyl, and they are offering a download code, I should get at least a cd quality download with the same great mastering...

Warren Hawk and Mij Retrac like this.
  13. Mij Retrac

They emailed me and told me my order was canceled and I asked them why it was canceled. This is what they told me "Thank you for contacting Pono Support and thank you for your interest in our Pono products.

The order that was cancelled was the Rush, Album; A Farewell to Kings.
    Order Number: O-0000048821.
    There was some track that where corrupted and going to failed downloads.
    The order was canceled so you can repurchase the album when it's fixed."

I never had any problems downloading them so I don't understand what they are talking about.

14. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Judging by the incoherent nature of those sentence structures, neither do they :)

Mij Retrac likes this.
  15. vanye

vanye Forum Resident

Aw come on, guys. Give those customer service weenies a break. Bad enough they've got to talk to real, honest to goodness customers. Now y'all come along and insist their talk make sense, too.

johnny q and Mij Retrac like this.
  16. botley

botley Forum Resident

Most companies who offer download codes think differently.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  17. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Got my refund from Pono and went straight to HDTracks to get the correct version of AFTK. That was my first experience buying from Pono and it was not a pleasant one.

18. madrushian

madrushian Active Member

Thanks your input. I will add it to my list of downloads thanks

19. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

well...disappointment on this end re: AFTK

The tape drop out that was audible on the Sector version is still there (hate that nothing lasts forever).

My Canadian Anthem pressing, although noisier than the QRP - and to be honest there were more pops than I expected on a QRP pressing - tonally sounds RIGHT. It seems I will never find the perfect AFTK, probably my favourite Rush release next to Hemispheres. I had great hopes for this, but I would much rather have more surface noise than tape dropouts and different EQ. Am I the only one who feels this way?

..and yes, mine has the dish warp as well :(

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  20. Gezza

Gezza Forum Resident

Beware if you order All The Worlds A Stage from All Your Music Store on Amazon UK because they have supplied the EU version (Back To Black 180 gr) to me. All the others I ordered from them were US 200 gr pressed at QRP. Their customer service are in denial of this despite the order details indicate shipped from US.

21. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Nope. Mine is almost dead silent, not really warped much if at all, and I think the album sounds as good as my US JAMF original.

Geee! likes this.
  22. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

Could someone post a photo of a warped AFTK please? I'd just like to get some idea of just how bad this problem might be. I have every re-issue up to AFTK and they are all very flat, quiet and sound great also. Thanks

23. Vinylsoul 1965

The warp is noticeable when you place the record on the table. It will appear that the record looks normal but if you press down on the label you will notice that it is not laying flat on the table. For me, the warp is when side one is facing up.

24. Vinylsoul 1965

Hmmm..."not really warped much if at all"....still means you have a bit of a warp. If you have a clamp for your table it is not a big deal. I have the new pressings of Rush, Fly By Night and 2112 and they all sounded quieter than my copy of AFTK. In fact I REALLY enjoyed how 2112 sounded (just played it now).

I happened to spin my original Canadian Anthem CD of AFTK and it sounded really good. No tape drop out. 16 bit, 44.1 yes but I preferred the tonality. To each his own I guess.

25. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

Not all of my vinyl is perfectly flat either but I assumed most people would be using a clamp anyway, as am I. I guess it could be an issue if not using a center clamp as far as tracking and groove/stylus damage. I'd say the chances of getting a perfectly flat piece of vinyl anywhere is pretty slim, but I could be wrong. I only just started getting into vinyl the last couple of months, so I'll defer to the better knowledge of the forum members on that subject.

Billy Budapest likes this.