Anyone else receive their 1st VNYL subscription LPs package?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FMills, May 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

You may be right, although I doubt many would pay over a buck for it.

2. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

A DJ still possesses a skill. People like "Nick Alt" are pulling stuff out of a crate.

patient_ot likes this.
  3. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

This thread is aging like a fine brandy. Thank God for the hapless b*****d this is good reading.

4. DBMethos

DBMethos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Bowieboy, noyoucmon and Kristeva like this.
  5. Fnarf

Fnarf Forum Resident

We noticed that you like Discharge, Thelonious Monk, and King Crimson, so we hope you like these special albums we hand-curated just for you:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Bowieboy, Jrr, kingrommel and 23 others like this.
  6. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Now that there's funny, I don't care who you are.

geo50000, c-eling and hidden1one like this.
  7. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

Thank you for signing up with our subscription service. Looking at your Discogs page we see you like Iron Maiden, Samhain, Misfits and Black Sabbath. Rob, your curator, has carefully hand-selected the following LP's for your #head-bangingthrashallnight vibe. We are certain your will enjoy these forever (as we no longer accept returns).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. fitzrik

fitzrik Forum Resident

Ah, I enjoyed this thread.

Went over to Twitter as well and was even more amused at the tweets of those 'digging' their carefully curated vnyl box and how 'stoked' they are waiting for the next one.

As mentioned above this service is perfect for teenagers who have heard vinyl is 'hip', have money and no real interest in music. Possibly no record player, not even a Crosley, but do have an instagram account.

9. cubbykat

cubbykat Bringer Of Pain To Your Face

I'm also finding amusement in this story; but I'm also kind of amazed by the lack of negative posts on either their Facebook or Twitter accounts. The positive reviews are pretty alarming as well.. don't they know the FTC are cracking down on this kind of thing? Based on the lack of diligence to begin with, I'm guessing not... chuckle...

turnersmemo and Mechanical Man like this.
  10. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Most of the people I looked at appeared to have previously bought their music at Urban Outfitters.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Since they are shilling their junk with fake postings, we should start posting the worst possible stuff imaginable with "wow, so happy with my Barbara Streisand album, mold totally came off with a little elbow grease!"

cubbykat and Blender like this.
  12. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

That Streisand album is dead on the money. It's in every dollar bin and thrift shop in America.

Kristeva, c-eling and hidden1one like this.
  13. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I wasn't but I'm glad you is. :D

havenz likes this.
  14. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

It pollutes the dollar bins in Canada, too.

Revolver likes this.
  15. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Funny thread, though, unfortunately, at the expense of people's hard-earned money. Pretty disgraceful. This guy knows exactly what he's doing and the fact that he's pretending as if he's making a genuine effort to match people up with albums he think they'll like, or forcing his employees to do just that, is sickening. It might not have started out a scam, but it sure looks like it turned into one.

Lost In The Flood and Peter_R like this.
  16. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

...and in every charity store in the UK! a worldwide bargain bin classic.

17. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

:D this has to happen. think i might go hunting for dross today, take some funky pics of me holding said dross and post it to the vnyl twitter account. it'll be well worth the £1.50 it's going to cost me for the LP's, lol

just writing my thank you note now - 'I'm totally like spunked with what came through the post today, etc, etc, etc'

18. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

[​IMG]

"Took a peak at your links. Saw a ton of artists I love as well, like The Stooges, James Brown and The Sonics. Hope you dig the Leo Sayer album while you spend time with someone special".

19. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

I've never spent more than 20 milliseconds looking at these covers as I trawl the bins, but this one has got to be some kind of apex of cutesy 70s pop art. I can't stop looking at it and it really belongs in a frame. It's just so bizarre. Turtles playing ping pong inside a circular glass gate is enough, but then the framing on the craps table and the over-the-top facial expressions revealing the imperial gaze of the tropical frolic have seared this image into my brain.

20. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

I decided the guy is just trying to expand people's horizons. If you profess your tastes run to Lou Rawls, Panlo Cruise, and Jerry Vale he sends out valuable pressings of Samhain, GG Allin, and Psychic TV.

21. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

I think you have perfectly summed up the situation. I agree 100%

22. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

23. phish

phish Jack Your Body

I looked at the RSD photos of people in the shop and it looks like they have more speakers as decorations than they do actual records. what an odd gig this guy is running.

noyoucmon likes this.
  24. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

The whole thing strikes me as what a 20-something hipster who had never set foot in a real music store in his life would expect them to be like based on his experiences in Hot Topic, Urban Outfitters, and social media.

noyoucmon likes this.
  25. danner

danner Forum Resident

I think I read somewhere that he came from the tech world. I kind of wonder if he's even really into music at all or if he's just a business guy looking for a market to crack. "Hey, the kids are into records these days, right?"

noyoucmon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.