Best Stoner Bands from the 90's and beyond who actually play 70's classic rock

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Redhat220, May 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redhat220

Redhat220 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

There is a genre that is misrepresented as being called "Stoner Rock." There are a number of subgenres, one of which is new bands playing their own material that sounds like it was recorded in the 1970's. Some of these bands even record in analog, and use old analog instruments like the Hammond organ. I know there are a lot of fans of this stuff on this forum, and thought it would help turning people on to some great music that is actually sort of new. So please, jump on and name your favorites, and provide some info!

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  2. Redhat220

I'll start off with one of my favorites, Spirit Caravan. Scott Wino Weinrich was in this band. Very cool. Sounds a bit like Black Sabbath crossed with Mountain. Wino's vocals and guitar playing is killer.

3. bodhisattva

bodhisattva Senior Member

For me, it's Fu Manchu by a long shot. A lot of the bands in the 'stoner rock' genre seemed more concerned with the overall vibe over writing good music, but from their first album in 1994 up until about the King Of The Road album in 2000 Fu Manchu seemed to have an almost inexhaustible supply of classic sounding original riffs.

4. Rev. MIke

Rev. MIke Well-Known Member

Witchcraft and Graveyard both play a good mix of Deep Purple/Sir Lord Baltimore/Pentagram style.

5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Nebula "To the Center"

6. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

HIGH ON FIRE !!!!

I love Spirit Caravan too and pretty much anything WINO

Some of Mastodons stuff is very prog yes/rush/thin lizzy inspired.

Redhat220 likes this.
  7. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

not sure about their 'stoner' status, but The Muggs from detroit get the classic rock influence right without sounding like a bunch of posers.

here's a live track from a couple years ago

8. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

here's the first track on The Muggs new LP

9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Unida - Coping with the Urban Coyote. a genre essential imo along with anything released by Kyuss.

10. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I happened to see Graveyard the other night opening for Mastodon and Clutch. Four
    lanky, long-haired Swedish kids right out of circa-1970 Sabbath and May Blitz. I was
    impressed by them enough to buy the latest disc.....

11. Redhat220

The Muggs are one of my favorite bands. I would put their first album from 1999 up against any of the classic stuff from the 70's.

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  12. FunkyNut

FunkyNut Forum Resident

THE BLACK CROWES:agree:

Erik B., ShawnX, papatwo and 7 others like this.
  13. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

I don't normally listen to this particular genre of music so Witchcraft is the only one that I know of .

I discovered them based on an article about this album where the writer revealed that these guys used vintage instruments and vintage recording equipment to try to more properly replicate that late 60-to early - mid 70's vibe.

That hooked me and I bought the debut which is the one Rev. Mike is referring to above.

I thought it sounded like a cross between early debut album Sabbath and early Jethro Tull. I quite liked it .

kwhitt and hidden1one like this.
  14. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

While i don't think of them as stoner rock i'd say Monster Magnet

15. old school

old school Senior Member

Great retro band!

16. Redhat220

Witchcraft is cool but you are just scratching the surface. There are many "higher tier" bands doing this style better. They are still just as underground though, that's the problem, you really gotta dig to find the stuff that is just outstanding.

Agent of Fortune likes this.
  17. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I just saw Graveyard open up for Clutch and Mastodon this past week in Central Park NYC and I was really impressed with them. Your description of them is spot on. As a matter of fact when we were listening to them my buddy turned to me and thought they reminded him a bit of Deep Purple.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  18. Redhat220

Monster Magnet is most def Stoner Rock. The retro stuff is really what this thread is all about.

19. Redhat220

They are one of the lucky few to get mainstream attention. So much of the really cool stuff is underground.

20. Led9

Led9 Forum Resident

Monster Magnet pretty much invented stoner rock in my opinion.

Fullbug, Graham and Redhat220 like this.
  21. Redhat220

I would consider Fu Manchu to be a stoner band in the true sense. Not really a retro band, which is kinda the purpose of the thread. I'm trying to get the great underground retro bands some exposure.

22. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

Sienna Root

progrocker71 likes this.
  23. Redhat220

Mo
    Monster Magnet and Kyuss pretty much started the Stoner deal.

Fullbug likes this.
  24. old school

old school Senior Member

25. FunkyNut

FunkyNut Forum Resident

Agreed, but if I go to any local place that sells cd's ie Best Buy, FYE, Walmart and even a couple mom and pop used cd/record outlets...they don't even have a section for the Black Crowes anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.