Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #70)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John S

John S Forum Resident

Seems a reasonable comparison to me.

2. SteveKn

SteveKn Forum Resident

The soundboard of the piano vibrates in a manner similar to the top of a guitar. When the strings are crossed, the end of the bass strings (and their bridge) are placed further from the edge of the piano, towards the middle of the soundboard. I would imagine the center of the piano's soundboard would vibrate more freely than the edges of the soundboard, which are affixed to the rim. This may enhance the response of the bass notes. There are likely pros and cons to both designs. Perhaps the crossed design might introduce unwanted overtones from the traversed strings. This is all speculation on my part. I'd like to think that Steinway & Sons and other manufacturers have studied both options at some point.

Byrdsmaniac likes this.
  3. sidewinder572

sidewinder572 Senior Member

Just bought this [​IMG]

18 records for $1.00. Don't mind if I do.

geralmar and bluemooze like this.
  4. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I don't know--I bet I could detect a wrong or missed note in the Coda from Sorabji's "Opus Clavicenbalisticum"! ;)

[​IMG]

ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  5. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Bach - 6 Solo Sonatas & Partitas" performed by Viktoria Mullova on Onyx.

[​IMG]

J.A.W. likes this.
  6. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

For those of you that regularly attend opera performances, I'm curious what you think about this article by Fred Plotkin on WQXR's website. It concerns projected subtitles at opera performances. I've never been to an actual opera performance. The ones that I HAVE seen have been on DVD and I have the subtitles on all the time. I've always toyed with just watching without the subtitles just to get the full effect and to see if I could figure out what was going on and grab the emotion.

Thoughts?

7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Bach - Sonates & Partitas BMW 1001-1006" performed by Amandine Beyer on Zig-Zag.

That's a typo on the cover yes? I see the current cover has been changed to "BWV." :) My CD has "BMW" on it; a collector's item no doubt worth millions. :agree:

[​IMG]

J.A.W. and Bachtoven like this.
  8. ceedee

ceedee Forum Resident

shostakovich always wanted his operas to be translated to the host company's language as he felt that opera should be absorbed and not read, haha,

Hawkman likes this.
  9. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

The Verdi paraphrases today--magnificent!

[​IMG]

ToddBD and George P like this.
  10. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Comic operas, like Centerola that I saw two weeks ago, wouldn't be as good with out the surtitles. You'd miss a lot of the jokes. When the Washington National Opera did Cosi fan Tutti a couple of years ago, they were very liberal with the translation and put a lot of local references in and it was very funny.

I don't pay attention as much when it's an opera I already know the plot to. For Wagner operas, they can be ridiculous. Five minutes of singing and they still have the same five words on the surtitles. I agree with one thing in the article, the plots in most operas are pretty ridiculous and the music is much more important. But for some, the plot is good and a part of the

I sit in the balcony so the surtitles at the Kennedy center are just above my line of site to the stage which makes them easy to read. I'm not sure how good it would be for people on the floor. They'd have to crane their neck looking up to see them and not really be looking at the stage at all. I think that could be a problem with the seat back subtitles too.

Another advantage for being in the balcony is that I can see into the pit. A lot of operas, there's not a lot going on on the stage so I watch the orchestra quite a bit.

My wife is deaf so I've head 25 years of captions on TV. I can completely ignore them

Every opera in English I've been too has had surtitles. In some parts of each opera, they weren't needed, but in other parts I wouldn't have been able to pick out the words with all that was going on. Dialogue of the Carmelites was sung in English this year by the WNO and I needed he surtitles to follow what was going on.

11. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Ok, I have found out from a Gort that we no longer need to stop this thread after 1000 posts, it can continue indefinitely. So, in the interest of clarity, I have asked him to rename the first thread in this series Classical Music Corner (thread#1) and we will now continue our discussion in a new (and final) thread entitled simply Classical Music Corner. Please continue in that thread now, as this one will be locked. The older threads can be easily found doing a title search in Music Corner for "Classical Music Corner." Please continue the discussion here. :wave:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2015
    The_Windmill and bluemooze like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.