Favourite Olivia Newton-John Album Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jun 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

After hugedemand(!) I've decided to do an ONJ album poll.

She's done so many that I've had to exclude some. The soundtracks, comps, live and Xmas albums aren't here, but you can vote for them in the 'Other' option, if you want. Hard to leave out soundtracks like 'Xanadu' and 'Two Of A Kind' at the expense of stuff like '(2)' and 'Celebration In Song', but they're not really Olivia albums as such.

You can pick up to 5 choices, though I realise this may not be necessary for some!

2. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

Okay, as you know, I'm not a huge fan but I have over the years heard Physical and Soul Kiss and owned The Rumour for a short time so I went with these three. I am thinking of investigating these ones again...will let you know what I think! Out of these three which one do you like the most? I seem to remember Soul Kiss being very Sheena Easton like - which is not a bad thing!

andy75 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  3. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

If Not For You
    If You Love Me Let Me Know
    Have You Never Been Mellow
    Clearly Love
    Come On Over
    -- all pretty early Olivia albums, which are the ones I prefer.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  4. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Soul Kiss!

Oh, wait... :p

Physical and Totally Hot :love:

andy75 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  5. Bobby Morrow

I like them in the order you put them. 'Totally Hot' is best of all, but 'Physical' is pretty close behind. 'Soul Kiss' is good if you're in the mood for it. Saucy for ONJ, though unlikely to shock anyone today. 'The Rumour' I've always seen as the start of the end. Lots of dull Olivia co-writes on 'issues' and 'environmental concerns'. Don't break your neck to re-buy it. Remember you got shut of it for a reason!

andy75 and DesertHermit like this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

People do seem to distinguish between early and later ONJ periods. I like both, but have to say she was a better MOR/ballad singer than she was a 'rock' one.

John Adam, RichardOO and Johnny Reb like this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

I am expecting many of the later albums to remain at 0 points!

dennis the menace and Johnny Reb like this.
  8. Johnny Reb

If Not For You, imo her best album, isn't doing that well! :(

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  9. Bobby Morrow

It's only 1.30pm here, so it's a quiet time for SHF. I'm sure it'll do better later when more people are online. Nice album, though I always preferred her 3rd album, 'Music Makes My Day' which has the same tracklisting as the Australian 'Let Me Be There'. All so confusing, these early releases!

Johnny Reb likes this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

'Soul Kiss' is closer to 'Best Kept Secret'/ 'A Private Heaven' era Sheena. What a shame Ms Easton swiftly changed direction with her next album, 'Do You' which pretty much lost her her fanbase!

DesertHermit likes this.
  11. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

love physical, soul kiss and liv but after we are done here someone please do an appreciation thread on the guy who was at least 50% responsible for these great releases. John Clifford Farrar.

12. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Is that a 12-string guitar at the beginning of the title track? Or maybe a dobro. Either way, it sounds wonderful.

Johnny Reb likes this.
  13. Bobby Morrow

I thought I'd post a cut from one of Olivia's later albums. This is one of the best tracks from her entirely self-penned 'Gaia' 1994 LP.

John Adam likes this.
  14. Bobby Morrow

And a nice 'early days' one from her confusingly-titled 'Let Me Be There' (Aus)/ 'Music Makes My Day' (UK) LP in 1974.

15. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

My favourite remains the "Totally Hot" album. It´s the most cohesive and perfectly sequenced of her albums, I think. The early albums suffer a bit from too much sugar - it´s all a bit too sweet and saccharine, methinks. Don´t get me wrong, I think all of her albums have their share of very good songs, but I think she really hit her stride with "Don´t Stop Believin´" and onwards. Too bad the "Xanadu" soundtrack is not an option, but I do understand the reason it was omitted. I sort of lost interest after that, even though some tracks were very good, and she always seems like a lovely person. Maybe I didn´t lose interest, after all...

John Adam, andy75 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  16. Bobby Morrow

I've always said the last really great album she made was 'Physical'. After that she went off course pretty much. She tried a lot of different things, but not many of them worked for her. Obviously changing tastes worked against her, but from the late 80s onwards she took a far more active role in songwriting.

Now, Olivia is by no means a bad songwriter. She has a few hooky tunes but her compositions don't have the spark of her best work. I've said many times that she's never written a great song. This is unfortunate as she subjected us to an awful lot of them over the last 25 years or so.. I do think not using producers of the calibre of John Farrar and relying more on her own writing have had a big impact on the quality of her work over the years.

Jarleboy and John Adam like this.
  17. Trace

Trace Senior Member

1973-1975 I was 11-13 years old and completely in love with ONJ. She was my first big crush...

So for me:
    1. Let Me Be There
    2. If You Love Me Let Me Know
    3. Have You Never Been Mellow

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  18. Johnny Reb

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  19. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Oh wait! You're serious? :D Lol
    It wouldn't be fair for me to choose since I haven't heard any album of hers in it's entirety. I usually can't make it past the first few songs. ;)

Johnny Reb likes this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

How very direct of you!:)

21. Bobby Morrow

I was trying to keep this poll a secret from him!:D

Johnny Reb likes this.
  22. Johnny Reb

Sorry! :evil:

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  23. Bobby Morrow

Nice choices. HYNBM is the best of those 1971-77 albums for me.

Johnny Reb likes this.
  24. Bobby Morrow

25. Bobby Morrow

I didn't know you'd tried to listen to any of her albums?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.