Taiyo Yuden To Stop Making Blank Media

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dubmart, Jun 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member Thread Starter

FJC1966, ricks and wilejoe like this.
  2. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

Any advice on the next best manufacturer? I think Ridata were my next choice at one time.

3. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

^^^Yes, that is my question...what now, what next, where to?? This is indeed bad news, I still burn cdr's and dvdr's on a regular basis. I hope the online vendors do not jack the prices up in anticipation of people stocking up.

4. Dubmart

Personally I'm going to buy as many JVC/TY blanks as I can afford, I have been reducing the amount of discs I burn, but I'd rather have a cupboard full than not have enough. My second choice might be Verbatim for both CD-Rs and blank DVDs, I've also been using some printable Traxdata 8x DVD-Rs with very good results, not sure how current they are though as I bought them when they were being sold off cheaply.

Simon A likes this.
  5. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

First phonographs then cassettes now this. What is the world coming too!

6. Dubmart

Price jacking is a worry, hopefully they'll wait until next year when manufacturing has actually ceased. A while ago I discovered that you can buy a full container direct from JVC on Alibaba so I just need a couple of hundred people in the UK and we can combine for an order.

highway chile likes this.
  7. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

I'm in!:agree:

Dubmart likes this.
  8. Dubmart

On a positive note I notice Richer Sounds started selling CD Recorders, well a CD Recorder, again, though I'm not sure how many music CD-Rs you can still buy, you'd have thought they'd have given up on that and made it accept any blanks.

9. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

thanks for the heads up. i still use cds and dvds although not as much so i placed an order that should hold me over for a while.

erniebert likes this.
  10. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

For the longest time I have used Maxell CD-R blanks for my standalone burner, as it is VERY picky on what it will accept and Taiyo Yuden CD-R blanks for my computer burns. Both companies blanks have ever failed me yet! The burners themselves, well that is another story!

11. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

Just buy CD's by a well recognized name and you'll be fine. As I always mention when this topic comes up, I do digital archives work, and I had a surprising number of Taiyo Yuden gold CD's fail (completely delaminate inside of CD drives as I was trying to migrate the data. I insisted that we stop using them, and the problems stopped. There is no such thing as an archival CD. Burn two copies on "non-archival" media and save your money.

12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

A sad loss in this field, as they invented CD-R to begin with and one of the two really top manufacturers of the media. But CD-R is coming to it's twilight.

thedudeabidz and LeeS like this.
  13. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered 400 more JVC CD-r's. That gives me 800 on hand - should hold me for car mixes for a while!

VP

Ghostworld and Jasonb like this.
  14. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Guess this sorta coincides with the end of my long run of burning discs, aside from the odd party mix for friends and family. I'm looking at a stack of 90 or so TYs that will surely be the last I ever buy.

If it isn't, Verbatim is a credible Plan B. At this time, anyway.

15. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

In admittedly small numbers (a couple of hundred of each, maybe a bit more) I've had better luck with Verbatim DVD-R's than TY.

showtaper likes this.
  16. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Well, that just sucks out loud!!!...

I feel a hoarding frenzy a-coming.... ;)

17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Haven't bought optical media in a very long time now, but TY was always my go-to back in the old days. I'm actually surprised given that they're a Japanese company and I thought Japan was still generally a physical media market versus the US?

18. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

That is sad. TY is my favorite media especially with the different printable surfaces (hub, no hub, glossy etc) available for CDR and DVDr. Need to stock on some.

LeeS likes this.
  19. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up. I use their watershield disks, so I just purchased four spindles.

20. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Not a bit surprising here as both TDK and Maxell stopped production a number of years ago. The profit margins were terrible ...

21. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

TDK stopped in 2002 IIRC; I'm not sure Maxell ever made their own.

22. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Early on I purchased some Maxell CD-R's. They were terrible.

Daniel Thomas, quicksrt and gd0 like this.
  23. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

While CD-R is at its twilight, what is interesting is that Amazon is selling OOP product on CD-R and DVD-R.

Dino and g.z. like this.
  24. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Where's the best place, or your favorite to buy a spindle or two of these? I've got half a spindle now so I'm good until fall at least.

Dino likes this.
  25. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.