Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread. (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident

Can these be bought by US customers?

2. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

Yes, it's open to the US. Not sure if there are any restrictions.

3. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

Has anyone bought these LPs through Amazon Warehouse deals? Yesterday I found Hemispheres for $18.60 and CoS for $11.26 with free prime shipping. They were curiously listed as Used-Very Good-Item may come repackaged-Factory sealed. I don't know how something could be both used and factory sealed but their return policy is good so I figured I would take a chance.

4. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident

Nice. Do you have any codes for discounts? :D

5. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

@Rockos There is a subscribe option near the bottom of the site, they'll send you a 15% off code a couple time a week. It's not spammy, just basically the weekly coupon codes.

Current one for 15% off is: EXPANSIVE

Rockos likes this.
  6. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident

Thank you!:goodie:

Is this the 2015 remaster that is supposed to be released next week or the Sectors remaster?
    http://www.prostudiomasters.com/album/page/490

7. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

No, it will specifically say 2015 remaster when it shows up on the site.

Rockos and sound chaser like this.
  8. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Yeah, I've noticed on both PonoMusic and PSM, the releases that have "Remastered" in parentheses refer specifically to the Sectors masters...

Rockos likes this.
  9. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

I've been keeping an eye open for one of these second hand. Very expensive to import into the UK new.

10. Renz

Renz Forum Resident

I bought the 2015 Remasters of AFTK, 2112 and Hemispheres this weekend from PSM thinking they were the new remasters not the Sectors, are you sure?

11. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident

If they all had 2015 in the title, they were NOT Sectors. Sectors were done in 2013.

12. 2015 ones say '(Remastered 2015)' and the other ones say '(Remastered)'.

13. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Yes, exactly..apologies for not being clear..I was posting quickly during work..thanks, violet, for clarifying

14. Renz

Renz Forum Resident

Thats a relief, thanks for clearing that up.

15. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

The new Permanent Waves is availabe on Qobuz. Sounds fine, maybe a little dull to those who are used to former, rather bright versions (especially the 1997 remaster). It beats the 1997 remaster hands down, is easier to the ears than the 2011 remaster, but I'm not sure, whether it is better than the 80s atomic. Don't know the MFSL.

DR values uploaded for your convenience:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/90605

Hymie the Robot and DaverJ like this.
  16. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

The only one I can find on Qobuz is the 2013 remaster (from Sector 2).
    http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/permanent-waves-rush/0060253705869

17. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

18. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

I'm a bit late to the party on this one but just finished listening to my US copy of Hemispheres. Had it for over a week now but had a nasty cold which bunged up my ears so decided to wait until it cleared before listening.

As others have stated, my copy is pretty much flawless. Flat, near silent upon playback and visually looks like the cleanest LP I've purchased in a long time. The QC on this particular pressing run is very high so I hope they keep it up for the rest.

Sound quality is just stunning, totally crankable and great dynamics.

Regarding the silence/gap - In my honest opinion it stands out too much. The way the sustained guitar note just chops off completely is what is so jarring. It should have been faded slightly. I'll need to check my other versions but although I have noticed some minor differences in gap length & hiss before, I've never noticed the actual final note to be chopped off completely like here.

kannibal likes this.
  19. henry babenko

henry babenko Forum Resident

mine sounds exactly like the last 2 cd reissues.. so I didn't notice..

20. Keith Milton

Keith Milton New Member

Just finished listening to the new Permanent Waves on vinyl. Punchy and dynamic on quiet vinyl. I haven't compared to any other versions, but first impressions are positive.

The cover has Dewei Defeats Truman, but doesn't have the Coke adds, for those who worry about that kind of thing.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  21. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

No need to fade it. If the gap had been properly removed as per the original vinyl, that hard edit on the final chord would argue immediately into the next track. It was obviously the original intent, but at some point later mastering engineers became unaware of it. There was probably an instruction note attached to the master tape's box; a note which unfortunately got lost somewhere in the last few decades. It happens. As fans, we know the original album by heart. For the mastering engineer, it's just another job.

ytserush, marblesmike and ad180 like this.
  22. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

ok, so I am late to the game but I finally picked up a 2112 reissue on LP and compared it to my NM original Masterdisk mastering on LP...NO CONTEST, within 5 seconds I could tell the reissue is the loser. The original has slam, has reverb, microdetails the reissue just does not have, plus Geddy's vocals seem more recessed on the reissue. Frankly I dont know how anyone with both wouldnt agree...I had hoped these would be AMAZING, and so many people here keep raving, and the reissues are good, but there is NO WAY I could see how one would prefer them over a minty original. NO WAY!

Dont get me wrong, they are ok, I can appreciate not everyone can get a mint original but there are not RARE records by any stretch....so my advice if you LOVE Rush is to not bother with these reissues and seek originals......at least thats what I would do. Of course I can only for sure speak of 2112 but my inclination is to not bother with the rest

ODShowtime and latheofheaven like this.
  23. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

The "original" wasn't cut at Masterdisk, it was cut at JAMF.

saundr00 likes this.
  24. ClassicRockTragic

ClassicRockTragic Forum Resident

They are pretty rare in Australia.

25. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

either way, it slays the reissue.....be it a jamf or a masterdisk

and are you sure they did JAMF for that? i though that started with the next one, A Farewell to Kings