An appreciation of "That Thing You Do!"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sloaches, Dec 25, 2014.

1. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Actually, it's not well known that Faye and LENNY actually wound up together.
    Here's a recent picture of them enjoying their day.......

[​IMG]

(Happy New Year...)

heatherly likes this.
  2. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

"Keep Manhattan just give me that countryside!"...;) :)

Happy New Year back atcha !

3. Remurmur

Makes sense. And the fact that Jimmy thought it was a ballad and it took Guy to speed it up to it's true potential just shows that Jimmy was clearly not the "musical genius" that he thought he was.

4. Remurmur

Hanks is known for insisting on period authenticity as he showed during the preproduction for Apollo 13 and From The Earth To The Moon. He insisted that the Apollo and LM interiors and Mission Control look exactly how they were and deliberately did not dumb down the technically based dialog used by the astronauts. And the astronauts themselves and the men and women who were part of NASA then loved him for it.

The fact that Tom Hanks IS a die hard music fan did not hurt either...:)

Comet01 likes this.
  5. I admit I'm an absolute sucker for this movie and got the Director's Cut on DVD and then the Blu. I like the additional insight provided by the extended version. It may not flow as well, but I kind of like movies that take a break periodically (have more ups & downs).

I tend to think about The Monkees every time I watch this (the slick Producer/Studio vs. the Artist aspect).

Great movie and great acting that showcases a simpler time. A favorite.

6. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I just got the Blu-Ray and watched the director's cut for the 1st time. While I dug seeing more footage I agree the theatrical version is the better movie. It seemed to have a better pace and happier vibe. I guess the word would be "snappy".

7. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

The scene with Liv Tyler and Jimmy after the TV show breaks my heart for her. "I have wasted thousands of kisses on you, from now on you stay away from me" with the tears in her eyes. He blamed HER for what the manager did, and showed himself to be a total d*ck.
    "I should have dumped you in Pittsburg!" to her back as she walks out. And Guy looking at Jimmy with new eyes and upset to see her hurt "Why didn't you....."
    I can watch that scene over and over just for Liv's acting work.

Ginger Ale, aarsonbet and heatherly like this.
  8. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

The extended cut is, to me, is for the fans who would like a few holes filled in. Nothing important was cut out. The theatrical cut flows better.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  9. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

This chokes me up every time I see it. A lot of the Directors Cut footage is not really necessary, but one thing it does explain is why they were walking around with little radios playing in their ears.

Upsiditus and Oatsdad like this.
  10. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

11. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Then explain why their 45 had a small hole. :(

[​IMG]

12. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

That one is easy. Many small record pressing companies did this for small batches. It was cheaper too. It takes more time and work to run them through the puncher. This is the way all 45 were pressed to start with. Several months ago someone here had a pic of a Beatles VJ single with no 45 punch(probably a QC reject that was found in the trash).
    1. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  13. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

14. action pact

I have never seen anything like that, and I have probably 1000 45s from the '60s!

15. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Remember that the Oneders single portrayed would be a vanity pressing, not a label release. Meant to sell at their performances.
    C'mon. Somebody back me up here.

16. action pact

Sorry, I have quite a few local indie pressings... all have the large center hole (including the few acetates I own).

I'm not saying it didn't happen, I just don't have any.

17. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

What I'm saying is this one may have had 500 copies pressed out of the bands pockets and done on the cheap(One take/ no label info etc.). It would be the step before it got picked up by a local indie label. In this case it skipped that step and went straight onto a major label. I have seen a few of these over the years.

18. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Hmmmmm Is "tha' you Girl" from the same band that did "izzat you Santy Claus"?

19. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

"Oh that's in every contract, that's a sanity clause"
    You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause!"

Scopitone, Chris DeVoe and The Panda like this.
  20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I disagree..the EC adds much...and flows better.

vegafleet likes this.
  21. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

That scene overwhelms me every time I see it as well - just pure joy straight into my system.

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

you can feel the joy and excitement...

23. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I know this is over-thinking it, but I still think it's sort of like you're supposed to be seeing this from a perspective of 30 years in the future, and by 1996 no one remembered his name, hence it not being mentioned in the movie. I certainly think his bandmates and Mr. White knew his name in 1964. For one thing, he had to sign the management contract, and I doubt it was signed "the bass player."

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like Ethan Embry has maintained sort of a low profile since the movie. Maybe life imitating art?

dewey02 likes this.
  24. chuck1950

chuck1950 New Member

Has anyone noticed the similarity between the "Searchers" music, especially "When You Walk Into the Room", and some of the songs by the "Wonders"?

Upsiditus and CusBlues like this.
  25. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I've never seen the director's cut, but having grown up in the 1960's, I never had ANY question about why they were "walking around with little radios playing in their ears." They were called transistor radios and earphones/earplugs and almost everyone I knew walked around with their transistor radio and their earplug in. I can't believe I'm alone in this. 1960's teenagers - did you do this too?

And by the way, what reason does the director's cut give for them doing this?

Comet01 and Lost In The Flood like this.